Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Keeping your dog cool during this summer heat

melz
May 30th, 2006, 02:39 PM
Hi guys,

My little guy is having a hard time with this weather. This heat is basically drowning his energy.

Any ideas on how to keep him cool? I've put water bottles in the freezer then rap them up in a dish cloth and place them on the sides of his pillow so that he can cool down while he plays with his kong or rawhide or while he sleeps but he doesn't seem to appreciate that idea at all.

He lets ice cubes melt on my floor lol he'll chase them for a bit but that's it.

Any other ideas?

Thanks.

jessi76
May 30th, 2006, 03:28 PM
my dog prefers the summer over the winter, but even he has his limits... some thing I do:

use a kiddie pool - great fun for a dog to splash around in!

hose games - my dog will chase the water stream from the hose, so on very hot days, it's a great game. (and I water some plants while I'm at it)

when he's in his crate, I keep him in the kitchen (which is a cool room anyways) but I point an air-circulator in his direction. Not directly on him, but to keep the air cool & more importantly... moving around.

frozen kong treats! freeze some plain yogurt, peanut butter, etc... in his kong. a kong-sicle.

make your own broth cubes. (I say make your own because alot of store-bought broth has onion in it. but if you make your own, it won't, therefore be a safer, tasty cube - a bit more tasty than plain water) this is messy, I recommend feeding these on lanolium or outside.

doggy ice cream. yes, it's available. well, at least in my area it is. my local grocery store carries it.

air conditioning works great too! ;)

Lissa
May 30th, 2006, 04:03 PM
Great ideas!

I really like those canine cooler coats as well...

My own version is to cut up Dodger's old/thin dog towels to fit like a coat (like horse blankets), wet them, put them in a plastice bag and freeze them...Then before/after or during exercise I take them out and it keeps him cool!

Dodger usually only goes out early or late in the evening when it isn't quite so hot and swimming becomes a daily activity!

rainbow
May 30th, 2006, 06:54 PM
I also have a kiddy pool and my dogs love to play hose games. They also have their own little floor fans. I also freeze small pieces of meat or fruit in containers of water and give them to them outside in a shady area of course.

Prin
May 30th, 2006, 11:40 PM
Air conditioning, hosing off and ceramic tiles... (from best to adequate).:D

HunterXHunter
May 31st, 2006, 11:02 AM
For those of you who use kiddy pools, what type/brand do you recommend? I plan on getting one for Hunter, but all I see are a bunch of inflatable ones on the C*n*d**n T*r* online catalogue where "Inflatable" is read as "Easily punctured" (well, to me at least)

EDIT: I just found the polyethylene ones. Are those the ones you guys use?

jessi76
May 31st, 2006, 11:33 AM
For those of you who use kiddy pools, what type/brand do you recommend?

I use the Little Tikes Turtle Sandbox. I found in on the side of the road w/ a free sign on it, so I took it. It's a hard plastic, shaped like a turtle, and even has a cover. Made for sand, but I fill w/ water and it's an instant doggy pool that can withstand claws.

fleamarkets & yard/garage sales are great places to find 2nd hand kiddie pools/sandboxes.

HunterXHunter
May 31st, 2006, 11:37 AM
I use the Little Tikes Turtle Sandbox. I found in on the side of the road w/ a free sign on it, so I took it. It's a hard plastic, shaped like a turtle, and even has a cover. Made for sand, but I fill w/ water and it's an instant doggy pool that can withstand claws.

fleamarkets & yard/garage sales are great places to find 2nd hand kiddie pools/sandboxes.

Hmm...does it have a make/model :confused: on that thing? It looks really cute and would probably suit Hunter quite nicely (and the lid would be great too!)

(or if you see another one for free on the side of the road, let me know :p )

jessi76
May 31st, 2006, 11:44 AM
Hmm...does it have a make/model :confused: on that thing? It looks really cute and would probably suit Hunter quite nicely (and the lid would be great too!)

(or if you see another one for free on the side of the road, let me know :p )

if you google Little Tikes Turtle Sandbox I'm sure you'll get a listing of many places to purchase one. Another place to check would be ebay. Perhaps you can find one near you so you don't have to pay shipping. If I see another I'll let you know, but I'm in Massachusetts... shipping isn't gonna be pretty
;)

OntarioGreys
May 31st, 2006, 11:47 AM
I used this one for 2 years it was still fine till I packed it in the shed and the mice got a hold of it

http://www.mypetpages.net/artists/1732/0/2d8a578d00b9998e6f88df4ee7d17a74.jpg

rainbow
May 31st, 2006, 02:03 PM
:thumbs up For those of you who use kiddy pools, what type/brand do you recommend? I plan on getting one for Hunter, but all I see are a bunch of inflatable ones on the C*n*d**n T*r* online catalogue where "Inflatable" is read as "Easily punctured" (well, to me at least)

EDIT: I just found the polyethylene ones. Are those the ones you guys use?

We have the polyethylene one and it works fine but I sure would like to get my hands on one of those green turtles....they look alot more durable. :thumbs up

Prin
May 31st, 2006, 02:07 PM
I saw that turtle thingy at Home Depot yesterday.. Not too expensive either.:thumbs up

wdawson
May 31st, 2006, 07:57 PM
i think walmart has them.....around $30

doggy lover
May 31st, 2006, 08:09 PM
Here we have air and in the truck at the cottage Tucker has the pond.

BernerLver
June 1st, 2006, 09:39 AM
A/C is the best for my guys as they do not really like the water. They like to lie on the vents. Unfortunately, they are cool but the rest of the house is a little hot :D

Also, they like our basement as it is unfinished and cool. I just set-up some blankets and pillows so they don't have the sleep on the concrete and leave the door open so they can go up to the main floor whenever they please.

melz
June 2nd, 2006, 12:54 PM
Thanks for the ideas! I'll be moving in July into a new apartment and will have a balcony. Its unfortunate that Mozart doesn't like water all that much but I will try the kiddie pool idea. Hopefully that will also convince him that swimming is ok! lol

Peanut butter in Kong, I tried it and he devoured it. I took a milkbone and dipped in the PB and put it in the freeze (he gets the runs if I give him too much) and he loved it.

He's getting used to wrapped water bottles. He doesn't like the fan though but I do have laminate floors and will have hardwood when I move so that helps a bit I guess.