Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Don't know when to worry?

Seamus's Girl
May 30th, 2006, 03:13 PM
First, please know that I have an appointment at the vet for my dog today! I just thought I could get some input first because I sometimes feel that the vet isn't thourough enough. My 2 year old JRT sounded like he was coughing up a firball this morning. He was heaving and it sounded kind of like he might be choking or have something cought in his throat. His whole body heaved when he amde this sound. Then he got very klingy to me and my husband and he was shaking for a long time. He peed this morning but didn't eat his breakfast before I left for work, which is not unusual. My husband left later than I did so he called me to tell me that our pup wasn't shaking anymore but was just laying there. That is very unlike him. That's when I called the vet. But my concern is 4 weeks ago I took him to the vet for that same thing and they said it was a cold and he was coughing. That is a wierd cough if I ever heard one. 74 bucks later and he's sick again.

jessi76
May 30th, 2006, 03:32 PM
well, I hope you made an apt with a DIFFERENT vet this time. when my dog had kennel cough it did sound like he was trying to get something up... sort of a gag-cough type thing, also sounded like a goose-honk, very distinct cough. Kennel cough usually gets resolved in aprox 2 wks though. was your dog put on any meds when he was in last? good luck, keep us posted!

Seamus's Girl
May 30th, 2006, 03:36 PM
Thanks for the advice. It makes sense, kennel cough. My dogs cough sounds just like you described. Yes they did put hime on meds. which we finished. And, no I didn't change vets but there are for people in the practice so I requested a different person. The last lady was very condescending too. I don't need that.

jessi76
May 30th, 2006, 04:18 PM
oh good, I'm very glad to hear you asked for a different vet... and you're right, no one needs to be given an attitude when their pet is sick. I hope your little guy is ok, and it's nothing too serious. definately keep us posted, and if it's kennel cough, let us know, many of us here have dealt with it.