Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

My Dog's nose- discoloration

mlane1
May 30th, 2006, 09:35 AM
I have a rotty/shepard mix and recently I have noticed her nose has changed colors. It went from a dark black to a light gray, but there still reamins a hint of black around the edges. She shows no signs of sickness just a big old wet nose. Shes about a year and a half, and when she was a puppy had a case of valley fever. iS THIS A RETURN OF THAT VIRUS OR IS THIS NORMAL? ANY ADVISE?

MIKE

rainbow
May 30th, 2006, 06:13 PM
I don't know what valley fever is. Did her nose change colour when she had that virus? I would take her to a vet for a diagnosis. :pawprint:

Puppyluv
May 30th, 2006, 06:16 PM
No idea about the virus thing. Is this a symptom? But dogs noses can change colour due to cold temperatures, their food bowls, dragging their noses. My dog's went from deep deep brown to light brown as a result of one of these, and it's completely normal.

mlane1
May 30th, 2006, 07:31 PM
Yea GOOD CALL!

I notifyed my vet and they said the same exact thing. I was just a little worried, but it should be normal.

Thanks,

Mike

OntarioGreys
May 31st, 2006, 07:37 AM
this could be what is called collie nose , which is just a colour change , or it can be a symptom of something much if the skin on the nose looks smooth rather than pebbly looking or ulcerates and develops sores or callouses as well it can be a sign of an auto immune disease, like Discoid Lupus Erythematosus(DLE), please have the vet check it out. One of my dogs has this her started at 18 months old with minor colour changes she now has flair ups that go on months and get pretty awful looking , here is some info on just in case. http://www.rr-oona.com/DLE/AI-DLE-eng.html

rainbow
May 31st, 2006, 02:53 PM
Yea GOOD CALL!

I notifyed my vet and they said the same exact thing. I was just a little worried, but it should be normal.

Thanks,

Mike

When you said you notified your vet did you mean you talked to your vet over the phone? To be on the safe side I think your vet should actually look at her nose because it just might not be normal.