Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Do your dogs eat poop?

kspj2
May 30th, 2006, 09:13 AM
My Beagle puppy name Bailey almost got it and I pulled him away and he never bother it anymore. I pick up the poop everyday.

Melei'sMom
May 30th, 2006, 09:46 AM
I think most dogs do. I have to clean up Melei's right away or she wants it too. fairly normal for a pup.

Lissa
May 30th, 2006, 10:04 AM
Dodger has neve eaten dog poop (especially not his own).

He does try and sneak cat and horse poop though:yuck: !

erykah1310
May 30th, 2006, 10:54 AM
Doesnt that usually indicate that they are missing something from their nutrition?? Just something i heard, perhaps a wivestales but none the less!
:yuck:

Lissa
May 30th, 2006, 11:08 AM
I have heard the same thing too but I know that a lot of dogs will continue to eat poop out of boredom, habit and if their owner's chase them around yelling, the dog thinks it must be valuable! It can also happen if a dog is fed low-quality food, or if they are anxious or if they are kept in a kennel to keep its clean or if the dog has parasites it could make them feel unusually hungry and some dogs just can't stop themselves from scavanging etc...

With Dodger, he ate poop when he was on premium kibble but once he was on raw, it stopped. Although I am always on guard around horse poop since that seems to be very attractive to him!

Prin
May 30th, 2006, 11:15 AM
My dogs don't do it but from what I've seen at the dog park, the only tasty loads are the ones made by dogs who are fed foods loaded with corn or other fillers. Most of them come out the back end, so basically their poop is still mostly food, no matter how gross that is to us.

If you want to stop your own dog from eating its own poop, up the quality of the food (i.e. no corn in the food). If you want to stop your dog from eating others' poop, you have to use leash correction (and educate the owners about quality dog foods.;)).

erykah1310
May 30th, 2006, 11:15 AM
Although I am always on guard around horse poop since that seems to be very attractive to him!

Meik eats lots of cow poop, the vet had said that its actually not that bad for him. There is alot of nutrition in the feces (vitamins ect.) I was concerned about this too. However to Meik its seems to be a delicacy :yuck:
He has been doing that sice he was a pup. Hasnt hurt him.
( developing a bad thread jacking habbit here, sorry)

and if their owner's chase them around yelling, the dog thinks it must be valuable!
LOL valuable!!!! Funny how dogs think isnt it??? LOL

Lissa
May 30th, 2006, 12:24 PM
LOL valuable!!!! Funny how dogs think isnt it??? LOL

It is disturbing isn't it!:p

Prin bring up a valid point - so much in crap dog food isn't digestable that it still seems like food, I'm sure!:crazy:

JanetAngel
May 30th, 2006, 12:42 PM
It is very common for dogs to eat poop. YUCK!:yuck:
I have 6 dogs and they all do it. My hound dog who was beagle mix and my labrador mix were the worst.
Every one of my dogs go after the kitty litter if they beat me to it.
We also have Guinea Pigs, they like their little bullets too when they are out.
It grosses me out, but I know it is natural for dogs.

jessi76
May 30th, 2006, 12:52 PM
Tucker did once when we first got him, but he was just a wee thing. I'm not sure why, probably because I got all super-excited that he pooped OUTSIDE & I was hootin & hollerin YAYYYYY!, he figured "oh wow, she's happy, maybe I should pick it up now" but I quickly fished it out of his mouth - yeah, I fished it out. a handfull of ABC puppy poo. :yuck:

now he won't even go NEAR poo.... I clean up daily (but sometimes I miss a pile) and if Tucker's ball goes remotely near it, he'll chase, then come to a DEAD STOP about a foot away from the poo. He'll look at the ball, then look at me. sorta with a look like "MAAAA! it's near the poo!!! eeeewww! get it for me!"

JanetAngel
May 30th, 2006, 01:11 PM
Here is a quote from a website I found on dogs who eat poop from www.thepetprofessor.com
"...It is seen in dogs who are hyper, out of control, and who appear to be immature in nature. These dogs may engage in stool eating simply because they have nothing else to do and they are driven to keeping themselves busy. There is also an environmental component to this behavior. Dogs who have been raised in filthy environments are likely to eat feces simply because they have a need to be rid of the excrement. It becomes a habitual behavior for them. There is a theory that some particularly dominant dogs will eat other dogsí stoolin order to remove it, and therefore remove other dogsí presence. This is because excrement is one way in which dogs mark territory.
Donít Rub His Nose in it!
Coprophagia may also be a learned behavior. People who housetrain incorrectly, by shoving a pupís nose into a pile of excrement may be teaching their pup to eat stool. The pup is learning that the presence of stool is very bad and he will therefore begin to eat it in order to avoid punishment. Rarely is there ever a medical or nutritional factor to this behavior.

Behavior Modification

To treat a dog with a fetish for feces, you must always consult your veterinarian first, to ensure that the dog is healthy and that his nutritional needs are being met. As well as approaching it from a medical perspective, your veterinarian may be very helpful in suggesting ways to make the stool taste bad to Rover. (I must admit that I have trouble thinking that stool can be a delicacy but then again, I also donít understand the whole fuss about sushi).

After consulting the vet, you can begin to use reconditioning to stop the coprophagia. Watch Rover when he goes outside to eliminate. As soon as he has completed his bowel movement, distract him with something positive Ė call him for a treat, throw a ball, squeak a toy, etc. Get his attention and remove him from the site. Then immediately go back and clean up. Donít let Rover watch you when you clean. You donít want to focus on the stool. Also, since dogs are mimics by nature, you donít want to encourage Rover to mimic your cleaning up behavior."

I think one of my dogs does it out of dominance. My dogs now do not do it nearly as much as my hound dogs did.
Cleaning up daily will definitely help.
I have a large back yard and clean up once a twice a week and it is rarely an issue for me anymore.

Prin
May 30th, 2006, 01:35 PM
Just out of curiousity, those of you with poop eaters, what are you feeding?

mafiaprincess
May 30th, 2006, 03:06 PM
Never been a problem unless on a farm. If she isn't eating horse poop she's rolling in it. :rolleyes:

Lissa
May 30th, 2006, 03:43 PM
Dodger was on wellness, solid gold and go natural when he ate poop.

He is on BARF now so I think its more of a habit to still go after horse poop!;)

JanetAngel
May 30th, 2006, 03:54 PM
At the time I had my hound dogs...I was feeding them Purina Dog Chow.
The dogs I have now, I do not see them eating poop, except my Rottie who is very territorial and is alpha among the dogs. The others leave it alone.
Now I feed a local feed store brand. Still not a premium dog food, but they seem to do well with it.

Brat
May 30th, 2006, 05:07 PM
My boy has an obsession with the cat's poop. If he's being a little TOO quiet, I just need to peek around the corner and find his head buried in the litter. He pops up with his snout full of litter and he gives me a look like "what?? I wasn't doin anything!"

Puppyluv
May 30th, 2006, 05:33 PM
Layla never touches her own poop. When she's done pooping, she tries to get as far from it as possible. But when it comes to other dogs' poop, she's a poop-aholic. I agree with what Prin said about the poop from dogs being fed lower quality food. A lot of the poop she eats looks like the food was only partially digested. Her favorite, which has only happened once, was human poop, just LOADED with corn kernels (sorry... I hope no one is reading this while eating a meal).
I have tried everything to curb this habbit. If i catch her in the act, she responds to the "leave it" command well enough that she will stop eating it, but she will just find another one, one tree over.
She is perfectly healthy and gets a tonne of exercise, I think that, while in some cases, it is due to poor health or diet, there are also cases where it is due to habbit, or liking the taste.

rainbow
May 30th, 2006, 06:23 PM
I'm feeding both my dogs Timberwolf Organics. My lab will eat my husky's poop if he gets the chance. Never his own though. :o

My lab is 10 1/2 months and my husky is 16 1/2 months. My husky was always the dominant one but now that the lab is bigger than him, I'm thinking that is his way of trying to show his dominance. I don't really know. Any suggestions?

jesse's mommy
May 30th, 2006, 06:28 PM
Jesse doesn't eat poop, but occassionally she finds a turd rather fascinating and decides to play with it, throw it around, pounce on it with her front paws, then roll on it and wonders why we yell when she comes in the house. Daddy grabs her and immediately gets her in the tub, while mommy pulls out the carpet steamer and cleans the carpets. I guess the turd stalks her and she has to show it who is in charge. :o

Melei'sMom
May 30th, 2006, 11:05 PM
Just out of curiousity, those of you with poop eaters, what are you feeding?

when the poop eating was a real problem, Melei was 3 months old and eating Iams. when she switched to wellness it was less eating. now that she is on raw, I have no idea if she would still eat the poop still, I am so well trained that I pick it up right away and she doesn't have a chance to sample :yuck: