Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Anal gland question

Shamrock
May 30th, 2006, 02:30 AM
Recently my small dog began showing the classic sign of anal gland problems... butt-scooting.
In addition to this, he was frequently crouching as if "trying" to go - unsuccessfully. When he did go.. all appeared normal.

He sometimes has bouts of constipation... so I really didnt know if these two behaviours were connected or unrelated issues.

The vet said it was his glands, drained them.. and that seemed to solve both problems - for about a week.

Over the last couple of days though, the same symptoms have reappeared.
I'll have to take him back for another check, will set this up tomorrow.

The only other thing that comes to mind for repeated butt scooting is worms, yet for a senior dog of 10... this seems unlikely to me.

Could the anal gland problem have re-occured in less than two weeks?
I'm just not sure what's going on - what I should ask him to check for.

mafiaprincess
May 30th, 2006, 03:01 AM
Don't really have advice..
But I got my first gland bout in April. But no scooting, obsessive bum licking so I thought worrms.. Vet emptied them, they were pretty gross. No where near impacted, but it was sludge, not fluid so she couldn't express them herself anymore..

It got me scared that it could be a reoccuring problem.. I asked the frequency of gland expression, and was told 4-5 weeks on average for needing to do it manually if it was a problem.. but I've read threads of dogs having a problem and needing them expressed every week or so too.

So it is possible, but not the usual, if gland issues can be referred to as 'usual'.

jesse's mommy
May 30th, 2006, 06:36 AM
I've never had any gland issues and I apologize if this is a threadjack, but I want to educate myself a little more on this issue because I've never had the pleasure of experiencing it :o . Now the signs are butt scooting and excessive licking -- are there any other signs? I mean if you look at the dogs anal area, is it red and swollen or does it look normal? Is constipation a sign as well? I've also heard that the smell is terrible. I also know that certain breeds are more prone to it than others, so what causes it in the uncommon breeds? Could it be the food not being digested properly? Now to be gross, but trying to be tactful, the sludge -- what's that like? Is it more of a smelly mucous or is it more, ummm, diarrhea like? :o Sorry for so many questions and the threadjack, but I'm sure I'm not the only one with these questions and hopefully it will help educate all of us. :)

(Mods, if anything here is phrased inappropriately, please feel free to edit :thumbs up )

Puppyluv
May 30th, 2006, 07:39 AM
I am by no means an expert on anal glads, as I've been fortunate enough to never have to have Layla's expressed, but here are a couple of threads on the subject until someone answers your q's

MG's sludge: http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=25808&highlight=anal+glands

On august 8th last year, Prin learned from the vet that allergies can cause anal glands to become inflamed (didn't include thread, because after Prin's post, I immediately changed the topic to rabies vaccinations:o )

http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=18404&highlight=anal+glands

http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=16626&highlight=anal+glands

Prin
May 30th, 2006, 12:41 PM
lol that's ok Puppyluv. It was a thread about what I had learned at the vet, not just anals. :D

But yeah, anal glands can get ITCHY!! when a dog is having allergies. So even if they're not full, if there is a pollen or something in the food the dog is all of a sudden allergic to, the need to scratch them will be overwhelming. They also fill up a bit quicker than usual when it's allergy season because of all the "stimulation". ;)

With Boo, it ended up being too much flax, I think, that caused it. He can have a little flax, but I supplemented his food with canned with flax and a supplement with flax and that is what threw him WAY over.

Right now, in most parts of Canada, grass season is starting, so if the gland issues are just starting, it could be that, or if they're old, it could be the tree pollens that are just ending too. Otherwise, it's the food.

Check out this site: http://www.theweathernetwork.com/features/pollen/ to see what pollens high are where you are.

Shamrock
May 30th, 2006, 03:11 PM
Thanks for that information gals. I never thought of allergies. Even though he has never had this problem before... things can change.
Itchy.. yes! That is the feeling I get from watching him.. that he is feeling discomfort from an itchiness.

I have an appt to take him back to vet Thursday, will ask him about this.

I'm wondering too about his food. It hasnt changed... but maybe he's becoming less able to assimilate it as he ages.
I feed Royal Canin Poodle... NOTwhat I'd prefer to give him - but he is a frustratingly fussy eater - refuses everything.

I've never been particularly happy with this brand... even though the pet store staff keep insisting its an "excellent " choice in a dog food - one of the best they claim.
To me... its overpriced for what it offers nutrionally, and simply a "compromise". He has to eat something - and this he eats.

I'm off to read these threads offered... thanks again!

mafiaprincess
May 30th, 2006, 04:04 PM
I've got what seems to be an enviro allergy issue with Cider. Started like a week after we fixed the anal glands. I FREAKED thinking it was glands again, and that I'd have to express them for life..

I've found a difference though.. With glands, she worried her bum. It was so bad by the time we got to the vet, that she'd be licking them and I would have to remove her head from her bum... you couldn't get her attention to quit it..

With allergies, I tell her to stop, and she does, so it's more seemingly itchy than so painful she can't stop..

Soon as she starts she gets a benadryl and we are good for another day.

It has been gettign better lately, so I hope that she's allergic to something going out of season.