Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

OTC for the dog?

dee93
May 29th, 2006, 08:38 PM
Hi, I was just wondering if a regular painkiller is OK for dogs? Like Tylenol. She is in some discomfort from some stitches she received and I just wanted to make her as comfortable as possible. Her other meds are Dermomax for Arthritis and Glucosamine. Thanks.

OntarioGreys
May 29th, 2006, 08:44 PM
Please call your vet for advice, Tylenol is not recommended for dogs and some dogs are very sensitive to aspirin and can result in hemorraging

Puppyluv
May 29th, 2006, 09:41 PM
the only safe otc is baby aspirin (same dose as heart attack prevention), one pill for a medium sized dog. But I would contact the vet first.

Prin
May 29th, 2006, 10:20 PM
I agree with contacting the vet first. You shouldn't be giving pain meds without consulting your vet and if your pet is in pain to the point where pain meds are needed, you should go in.:confused:

OntarioGreys
May 31st, 2006, 10:05 AM
the only safe otc is baby aspirin (same dose as heart attack prevention), one pill for a medium sized dog. But I would contact the vet first.

Some dogs will even develop bleeding ulcers from baby aspirin, my son is the same way, any aspirin at all will have him hospitalized for a week with a stomach tube to suck the acid away from the area the the aspirin ate away at. The last time was because he took Neo-citron not realized it also contains aspirin. ONe vet on another forum said he has seen more incidences of problems with aspirin than many of the other veterinary nsaids.

doggy lover
May 31st, 2006, 10:05 PM
No not tylonal I have had to give my last dog painkillers in the past but only recomended by our vet as you must watch the dosage. You can't give a little dog a reg pill. Talk to you vet there are some over the counter drugs that you can give.

sways_bodyguard
June 1st, 2006, 01:56 PM
you should never give your dog tylenol or aspirin...