Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Silly question ... kiddie pools for dogs

Esaunders
May 29th, 2006, 07:24 PM
I know how foolish this sounds :crazy: ... but has anyone bought a kiddie pool for their dog?

My november born pup has just discovered summer heat and is having some difficulty with it. So I was thinking of getting a kiddie pool for the backyard (once we get a backyard ... June 30th here we come! :highfive: ) for the pup to lounge/play in after walks or visiting the dog park. :king:

Any ideas or suggestions?

Frenchy
May 29th, 2006, 07:32 PM
Yep,3 years ago I bought one,had to go to at least 8 different stores to finally find one (it was already July) and what do you know,my two golden retrievers (who are supposed to loooove the water) never set a paw in it!I even tried letting the water go dirty (they love the mud puddles in the woods) but nooooooo!this is my first summer with Sam (golden too) can't wait to see if he will go dip in it!I would suggest to you ; go shop for one right now,they sell them pretty fast!

coppperbelle
May 29th, 2006, 09:23 PM
I have a kiddie pool for my dogs. I bought it at Canadian Tire. Hunter loves to just lay in it.

mafiaprincess
May 29th, 2006, 09:44 PM
Got my last year at petsmart, cause no one was stocking non inflatable ones at that time. My dog that should be a water retriever drinks out of it, won't play in it..

glasslass
May 29th, 2006, 09:53 PM
I bought a hard plastic one for Den-Den at a yard sale. He had many great times splashing in it, but only when I was playing in it with him to get him rev'd up. He never showed any interest in it by himself. I gave it to the neighbor when we moved. Den-Den sometimes takes a swim across the fishpond now.

Lissa
May 29th, 2006, 10:06 PM
Dodger has one and he loves it! We didn't get ours until midsummer last year so there were slim pickings - his has an elephant on/in it:D ! It really was the best idea for him! He wouldn't lie down in it but he loves to dive for toys and catch splashes...it can replace a walk for him on occasion. He gets really upset if I stand or sit in it:evil:, it really was the best idea for him since he hates the humidity of summer afternoons!

The only downside to it is that #1 he drinks so much water that he has to pee constantly after playing in it and #2 I can't leave the water in there for long because it gets stagnant and of course becomes a breeding ground for mosquitos.

http://img6.picsplace.to/img6/21/pool2_000.jpg (http://picsplace.to/)
http://img6.picsplace.to/img6/21/pool_001.jpg (http://picsplace.to/)

Prin
May 29th, 2006, 10:16 PM
I got one for $10 at Canadian Tire a couple of years ago. It's about 6 inches deep and is hardish plastic. You just don't want a blow up one because once the doggies' nails hit it, it's dead.

t.pettet
May 29th, 2006, 10:23 PM
Got one of those hard plastic turtle shaped ones and my dogs love it. The 2 oldest lie in it up to their necks and the 2 youngest retrieve toys and hunt for bugs and frogs.

PLR
May 31st, 2006, 03:03 PM
I have four labs:pawprint: two love it so much the scare the other away. Morgan and Bailey don't like to be splashed - but when Shady and Mags aren't near it the other two are. One of the kindest things I ever did for them. :love:

rainbow
May 31st, 2006, 04:05 PM
I got one of those "hardish plastic" (polyethylene?) ones from Canadian Tire too. It works good but I'd like one of those green turtle ones better. :D

Frenchy
May 31st, 2006, 07:43 PM
green turtles,don't think they make those anymore,mine has octopus!Oh man,maybe that's why the dogs don't go in it :eek: they think it's a big bowl of water...

doggy lover
May 31st, 2006, 09:06 PM
I use to have a baby bath for Tucker here, but most of the time I can't get him to go out when its hot as we have central air. Up at our cottage he just plays and swims in the pond, most of the time you can't keep him out:p Here is a pic of him at the pond.

TBaxter
May 24th, 2010, 10:00 PM
We just bought one from Canadian Tire for the guide dog golden retriever that we're fostering. His name is Fidel. He loves the pool, but jumps out and rolls in the dirt, then trots into the kitchen to share his happiness with us. Here he is, first day in the pool.

T. Baxter

joeysmama
May 24th, 2010, 10:27 PM
We have a blow up kind that we put out for my niece and nephew but last year we put Cooper in it to see if he would swim and he HATED it ! Swam as fast as he could to the other side where he could jump out. It's a couple feet deep so maybe he was scared and would be okay in the smaller hard plastic one? This will be our first summer with Raven so we'll give it a try. They both HATE HATE HATE the heat but want to be outside if we're out there.

Chaser
May 24th, 2010, 10:33 PM
We plan to get a small plastic one for our dogs this summer. Neither of them are really swimmers, but they love to splash in shallow water.

(FYI - there is no such thing as a silly question or spoiling your pets too much on this forum!!!) :D

Etown_Chick
May 25th, 2010, 12:45 AM
You betcha! Best summer investment a doggie person can make. It's a hard plastic one like the one pictured above.

NEPEANDOGS
May 25th, 2010, 10:21 AM
A sprinkler might work, too, if your dog doesn't like a pool.

I remember having a Donald Duck sprinkler in the back yard when I was a kid - basically just a device shaped like Donald Duck's head that you fastened to the end of a garden hose and it sent a spray of water in a circular motion. We would put our bathing suits on and run back and forth underneath it.

It would probably cool your dog off if you could get him to stand or walk under it.

I've seen kits for in-ground ponds, too, that consist of a rubber liner and a pump to circulate the water - you dig a pit in the ground and then put the liner in the pit and fill it with water. Maybe a dog that's afraid of a pool might go into a small pond. Or maybe you could even dig a pit and put the kiddie pool in the pit - the dog might like it better if it doesn't have to climb in?

I know my dog Sophie is afraid of the bathtub, but whenever we pass by the large municipal wading pool near our house that is below ground level, she jumps right in and dips her head in the water.

I'm looking into a couple of different dog "cooling vests" that I've seen on the Internet on different sites, as my two dogs spent most of this weekend indoors in the basement. They start at about $35 and go up to about $125, but if they work and allow my dogs to walk in the heat they'd be worth it.

joeysmama
May 25th, 2010, 10:42 AM
Oh I would be very interested in the cooling vests ! I love to sit out on the deck and they want to be there with us of course but it's too hot for them. I try to let them back in the house but they don't want to be there if they can see us on the deck. I try leaving the door open so they can stay inside the doorway but still be right there a couple feet away, no barriers but they don't get that at all. They come out anyway.

The vests are safe? Not too cold? Anyone here ever tried them?

Frenchy
May 25th, 2010, 10:52 AM
Dogs will get "cooler" if they can spend some time in the pool , but hosing them down isn't enough (or use sprinklers) just like humans , if you take a cold bath , it's going to lower your body temp for a while after but , a cold shower will only keep you cool for a small time period.

and don't forget that when dogs are wet , although they might feel good while wet , they loose their protection against the sun. Same goes if you shave your dog , it's a no no in summer.

I am going crazy here worrying about Churchill , reading everything I can about pyrenees and the heat. But he's doing good , knows where to find shade and mostly sleeps.

the old kiddie pool got destroyed , none of the goldens were using it. I'll buy another one and try again with the new gang. :goodvibes:

Gail P
May 25th, 2010, 10:54 AM
I buy a new one(s) pretty well every year for mine, they love them (to death sometimes :rolleyes: ) If they get cracks around the edge they seem to be fair game to chew on. Wish somebody made more rigid ones just for dogs...the turtle pools are pretty good that way, but just not big enough for my pack. I've started doubling up the pools and that helps some, plus I'll jam pieces of wood under the rim to help support them when they're full. The first day the pool was out this year Dru devised a new game....play tag with Blaze, go ripping around the yard and then POUNCE!!! into the pool with his front feet and stare at Blaze, giving him they "eye" for a few minutes before repeating the process. :laughing:

These are old pictures, from a couple of years ago.