Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

how hot is too hot?

Frenchy
May 29th, 2006, 06:11 PM
Calm down everyone,I'm not talking about sex here!I just came back from our daily walk and the dogs look like they need a beer or something...I usually don't walk them when it's too hot and humid.Today was about 27*C + humidex (in the 30*'s I guess) Do you consider weight and age of the dogs?Bailey is 8 yr old,76pounds/Sam is 8 yr old,100 pounds/Daisy is 10 yr old and 80 pounds.I can't go when it's darker,we go in the fields and woods behind my house and I don't want to run into a skunk or some other critters.What about you guys,when do you say,no walk today,too hot?

Frenchy
May 29th, 2006, 06:13 PM
I forgot to say that they have a kiddy pool,Daisy and Bailey never cared for it (I think the water is too clean for them so they don't like it) it's Sam first summer with me so maybe he will try it.

rainbow
May 29th, 2006, 06:24 PM
When it gets that hot here, we only go early in the morning. I don't like running into critters at night either.:eek:

badger
May 29th, 2006, 06:29 PM
I'm interested in some answers to this too. I walk a 2-year old lab for a friend and we just came back from the park, where we played fetch for awhile and then ran into a chocolate lab and they had a tussle. She panted violently for a good half hour after we got back and I was a bit worried. I know panting is sweating but it was so extreme! It's been a hot day here, easily in the low thirties with the humidex.

The other day we went to a different park, where there is a small fountain. Before I could stop her, she went straight in! I must say it looked pretty inviting.

BusterBoo
May 29th, 2006, 06:49 PM
Harley (15lb shih tzu) and I just got back from a walk....it's 7:45, the sun is going down, but the tempt today was +32 (= 40 with humidex). We went for about a 20 minute walk, he was quick and anxious on the way, slowed down on the way home. He is now sucking on an icecube and the panting is slowing down.

I guess each dog/owner has to decide. If our pool was open, harley would probably be jumping in.

nuttinfluffer
May 29th, 2006, 07:55 PM
Best times to walk are early morning and pm when the sun goes down when it's really hot/humid. If you do the mid-day walk, keep it to a minimum - at a slow pace...use the walk more as a bathroom break than an exercise break as chances are when it's too hot, your dog will pant excessively and overheat easily :(

Bring water with you so that you can offer your dog water and take frequent breaks, preferably in the shade.

Hope this helps.

jawert1
May 29th, 2006, 08:16 PM
Well today's temp here in the Old Dominion hit 95 deg F, and I'm sorta glad my two have learned to hustle it and do their business in 5 minutes or less when they have to go out in the afternoon. We then go for a much longer walk later when the sun's down (like 8ish). Now if I could only get them to do that when it's raining (just the opposite - hey ma it's like a bath!)...

Prin
May 29th, 2006, 09:42 PM
My doggies didn't play outside today. It was out and back in right away in the AC. The 30 degrees now is not like in the middle of the summer. My doggies still don't have their winter coats out completely and they definitely aren't used to the heat at all. Even with the AC on, they were panting. So ya, I kept them in all day. The next time it rains (probably tomorrow afternoon) they'll be out in it.

erykah1310
May 29th, 2006, 10:23 PM
What about you guys,when do you say,no walk today,too hot?
If you are hot, they are hotter!!!
Today i thought for sure that Meik was going to pass out so I loaded them up after dinner and went to camp, let them play in the water and cool off!
My general rule of thumb is... if i dont want to leave my house due to the heat, its not a day for the dogs to be out excersising either!!!
Your judgement is the best way to know, there is no clear cut temp. some handle the heat better than others.

phoenix
May 29th, 2006, 10:47 PM
Both my pups were in the pool today. Sam swam in and out tons of times. Maia only went up to her elbows.hehe.

I don't walk them when it's like this. They're either wet and in the shade, or inside in the AC. We went and played a little ball this morning, but that's it. Sam would play until he died. Literally. So I have to be the brains of the operation ;)

LibbyP
May 29th, 2006, 11:21 PM
Both my dogs stayed inside today until late evening came but even then they came in panting like crazy. We do not have AC just the ceiling fans, so all of you sitting inside your cool houses can just imagine How STINKING HOT it is here:evil: I have to agree with everyone that it is a personal decision, but when its to hot for you its to hot for them and pls take caution for all the short, pushed in faced dogs, they DO NOT handle the heat

chico2
May 30th, 2006, 07:11 AM
I was concerned yesterday when I took Bailey(Cocker)for a walk in +35C,she pooped a couple of times,panting heavily.
,so I took her back for icewater and a cuddle in the shade.
I wish she would come with me in the pool,but I worry about the Chlorine:confused:
I might just let her come and stay in my backyard today,it's going to be just as hot....the owners don't have AC:sad:

phoenix
May 30th, 2006, 08:22 AM
chico2, you got me worried because my Sam is in and out of the pool all the time. i don't think I could keep him outta there! So I looked up a few things about dogs and chlorine...

This, from a rehabilitation pool for animals:
Q: Is the pool chlorinated?
A: Yes. The pool is chlorinated at 3 ppm, slightly higher than the typical human pool to provide extra sanitization for the higher bio burden and dirt load brought into the pool by the dogs. Chlorine at this level has not been known to be harmful to the dog or the dog's coat. Of the hundreds of dogs that swim at the Center we have never seen any adverse reaction to the chlorine. As a matter of practice we rinse the dog off with fresh water after the swim and the owners may shampoo their dogs if they desire.

About drinking the pool water (ohno)
Your pet doesn't have to take an unplanned dip in the deep end to have pool-related problems. Thirsty dogs and cats will drink from swimming pools, and the chlorine and other chemicals used to keep pools free of algae and other contaminants can cause pet health problems, from dry mouth to gastric distress.

Hmmm... my guys drink out of the pool all the time...even tho they have fresh water!

Lissa
May 30th, 2006, 09:56 AM
Dodger usually goes for his walk in the early hours of the morning but we also go at night, being a hound if finds critters at all hours of the day so I am not concerned.

Dodger hates the summer heat but if we happen to be out in it, he doesn't slow his pace at all. He really isn't a big panter either - I am not sure if its because he is so fit but he rarely pants when I think he should be:rolleyes:

When we are out in the heat of the day he goes swimming before and/or after we have exercised. He also has a kiddie pool and constant access to drinking water when we get home.

So basically, I try to avoid going out when its hot and humid but it really is up to Dodger.