Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

female dog UTI/goldenseal?cranberry?

marydog
January 3rd, 2004, 09:12 PM
My 2 yo bulldog exhibited frequent urination today and blood in her urine this evening. This summer she was given an antibiotic treatment for her first UTI. If possible I would like to avoid antibiotics this time

I gave her 500 mg cranberry supplement with food this evening and have encouraged her to drink. She appears not to have any pain or discomfort. I have also purchased goldenseal, but am hesitant to overload the poor dog. Is it possible to irradicate a UTI with cranberry, or is it just preventatitve? Is a trip to the vet for antibiotics inevitable?

Any insight you can provide would be most helpful, Thanks so very much.

wAggie
January 4th, 2004, 02:17 AM
I have 0 knowledge of this matter.

call your vet!

Luba
January 4th, 2004, 02:36 PM
Absolutely u can get rid of a UTI and kidney infection with cranberry. BUT it has to be PURE cranberry, no added juices, sugars, sweeteners, just pure cranberry!

You can get pure cranberry juice from any health food store, it's more expensive but you can put it in a (non needle) type syringe and squirt into the dogs mouth. Follow it with something tasty because it's very bitter :D

The only thing is u wanna be sure thats all it is right! So any doubts go to the vet asap. UTI's can be painful as well. So if there is noticeable pain then u should go!

U're a smart mommie :D