Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Dogs eating june bugs

schnorkiemom
May 29th, 2006, 09:21 AM
Hello...I've got two 10-month old schnorkie pups and one has discovered the delight of chasing and eating the june bugs that have cropped up overnight this past weekend. We tried to keep Eva from eating the bugs because we heard they have too much protein for a dog. Needless to say, she isn't feeling too good now. Runny stools yesterday and eating grass w/vomiting today. Gave her peptobismal yesterday and during the night and it seemed to help w/runny stools. No runny stools today. Just vomiting bile after eating grass. Does anyone know about dogs eating june bugs? Thanks a bunch!

jawert1
May 29th, 2006, 09:38 AM
Just a word of caution, it is extremely unsafe to give your dog pepto, or any human medicine, especially a pup of 10 months. Given you've got a vomiting/loose stool case, I would call your vet as soon as possible (see title of this forum) and stop self-medicating. Your dog could be having a reaction or worse, and needs to be seen by a professional. Good luck and hope she's ok.

schnorkiemom
May 29th, 2006, 09:59 AM
The pepto dose was advised by our vet at the last checkup. Eva is still frisky and not lethargic. Additionally, her heart rate, respiratory rate and temp is normal. We're keeping an eye on her and are just wondering if anyone has experienced their dog eating june bugs? Thanks.

erykah1310
May 29th, 2006, 10:06 AM
My dogs pig out on all kinds of bugs:yuck: I dont know if would cause runny stools. I'd suggest calling your vet, its free to ask questions.
As far as the grass, Kita tends to bring up some foamy stuff after eating grass. I try to deter her from it, but its hard! Make sure the grass isnt treated (weed killers and bug sprays) this is poisionous.

Hopefully your dog will feel better soon, but call your vet and ask questions. Cant hurt right??

Bushfire2000
May 29th, 2006, 10:06 AM
Glad to hear you took dog to the vet. Yes my dogs have eaten June bugs, but they mostly enjoyed the chase and started spiting them out once they were dead. We had no diarrhea or vomiting. Good luck.

schnorkiemom
May 29th, 2006, 01:08 PM
Thanks for the replies. My dogs also like to chase ants. Eva seems back to normal (eating well and such) and just waiting for it to get dark in order to go after more june bugs! Ugh! We don't use any insect repellants or fertilizer in the yard because of the dogs and we have fences/gates to off limit areas. Maybe we'll need to dig out the bug zapper. Thanks again!:pawprint: :pawprint:

LavenderRott
May 29th, 2006, 02:13 PM
EWWWWWW!!

I am absolutely phobic about beetles of any kind and I can't wait until the June bugs are gone for the summer!

Can I borrow your pup? Mine doesn't seem to be interested in getting rid of those nasty things for me.

jesse's mommy
May 29th, 2006, 02:20 PM
Jesse rips the heads off of the bugs she finds. It doesn't matter the size - big or small, all heads are gone. Then she flings the bodies around. She decapitate a fly the other day and played with the body for about five minutes. She kept running away from us with this fly's body being held between her front teeth. It's fun for her.

LavR -- you are more than welcome to borrow Jesse! :D

LavenderRott
May 29th, 2006, 02:28 PM
Jesse rips the heads off of the bugs she finds. It doesn't matter the size - big or small, all heads are gone. Then she flings the bodies around. She decapitate a fly the other day and played with the body for about five minutes. She kept running away from us with this fly's body being held between her front teeth. It's fun for her.

LavR -- you are more than welcome to borrow Jesse! :D

OMG!! I think if I had to watch that I would faint dead away!!

t.pettet
May 29th, 2006, 09:11 PM
Oh Gross, bet the june bugs crunch when bitten, ugh! Joe, the baby is still fixated in frogs and slugs.

mafiaprincess
May 29th, 2006, 09:33 PM
I have a minor ant problem in my bedroom. Cider stalks them. Jumps on them, and eats them..
It';s more the catching than the eating she's into though. Yay wonder what june bug season up here will bring, lol..

jesse's mommy
May 29th, 2006, 09:36 PM
Being that we live in Florida, you can only imagine the bugs Jesse has caught here -- as I said earlier, all are headless by the time I find them. :o

ericsprincess
June 15th, 2006, 07:42 PM
:sick: I have a 2-yr old mini-schnauzer. She loves to chase, catch, and eat the june bugs. Two nights ago, I let her play with the bugs for quite some time. Since then, she hasn't been able to keep any food down. She's thrown up everything she's eaten. She also has eaten some grass, but hasn't been outside enough today to eat any, and is still unable to keep food down.

Ironically enough, this happened last year about the same time, with the same ugly results. That time, though, she had travelled to GA with my son, and I didn't make the connection between the eating of the june bugs and the throwing up. Assumed it was because of the travel in the car, and nervous about being in a new location. She had spent a lot of time on the porch eating june bugs just before she left, though.

I don't use any kind of pesticides on my yard. I can't say the same for the neighbors, and it's always possible the bugs could have gotten a dose of bug spray before landing on our porch. I use fertilizer on the grass, but it's been at least 2 1/2 weeks since I put the fertilizer on. The point is, I don't think there was any pesticides or fertilizers that might have directly poisoned her or the bugs.

I have an appt. with the vet for her tomorrow morning, to have her blood checked to eliminate other sources. If nothing wrong is found with her blood, I'll pass on what the vet tells me.

ericsprincess
June 21st, 2006, 12:18 AM
Took her in, had the blood tested, feces tested, vet checked her out. Nothing conclusive, but put her on antibiotics for 10 days, then supposed to check back and let them know how she's doing.

She wasn't given any food for about 36 hrs (that was tough), and even after that she was still throwing up some of her food. Tried scrambled eggs mixed with a little cream gravy (u may disagree with what i fed her, but at least she got some protein) and that seemed to stay down better. Continued the antibiotics with "mushy" food.

June bug shells can bunch up in the intestines, making a blockage. This causes the food eaten to not be able to go anywhere but back up. If the dog isn't urinating, it can be even more serious. At least with her, she was able to still poop, so some food was getting through.

She's still on the antibiotics - in case it's tick fever - but she's not throwing up anymore, has a good appetite again, and jumps up and down at the door when it's time for a walk in the neighborhood.