Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Shedding puppy

Lump of Kohl
May 28th, 2006, 11:08 PM
My 10.5 month long haired Chihuahua (I think there is like a 1/4 Pomeranian in him too) is shedding profusely. When I first got him in January he didn't seem to shed at all. Now my carpet that was beige is gray from the haze of black fur that is perpetually on it. I put him on a counter that was cream colored and he took that moment to shake. He literally shook off a cloud of fur. I have been keeping watch that he doesn't have any patches of missing fur but his belly hair is definitely shorter. It used to be long and now it is completely flat to his belly, it was always thin. I have noticed no excessive scratching, he doesn't bite at himself, I feed him Solid Gold's Wee Bits and either their Green tripe or Merricks mixed in.

Could it be that he is loosing his puppy fur? Or maybe the heat of Summer? (He has his own little kingdow on my patio when I am out for the day so he goes outside but there is no grass or anything) I haven't called the vet yet because it doesn't seem like he is losing fur just like he is shedding a lot. Maybe its that I am not used to seeing it?

mafiaprincess
May 28th, 2006, 11:10 PM
How often do you brush him?

Prin
May 29th, 2006, 12:04 AM
My dogs are both shedding like crazy right now. It could be the spring... As long as the fur is not getting noticeably thinner, it should wear off eventually (until the next shedding season).

Lump of Kohl
May 29th, 2006, 07:17 AM
He spent five days at a friends because I had to go out of the country so he didn't get brushed. Normally I brush him every couple of days. He really likes it and I have managed to get him to stand even while I do his hindquarters! But before I left I brushed him for a good 1/2 hour 45 minutes and got this pile of fur that was huge! Its not the shiny fur its the soft fluffy fur that seems to come out when I brush him. However what is on my clothes(I am looking down at it right now-I wore a white shirt, silly me) is the shiny fur. But there are no unusual patches so I haven't stressed about it. I wasn't sure if it was normal. How long does shedding season last? I may need to buy a new vacuum cleaner.

Prin
May 29th, 2006, 09:56 PM
lol I'm surprised nobody has answered your question yet... Usually the answer is the shedding seasons are either 4 times a year for 3 months each or twice a year for 6 months. :D

Really, it depends on the dog, the density of the fur and so on. With my dogs, before I notice they have stopped shedding, they're into another season. I take the time in between for granted.:o

Lump of Kohl
May 30th, 2006, 07:59 PM
Now Prin...you know I had to read that twice to get it.:o Thanks for the help.

papillonmama
May 30th, 2006, 08:07 PM
I have a papillon, mine is the same, I find they lose a lot of their older fringe in the spring, and when she lost her puppy coat, oh my, what a mess, there was enough to make a couple of other dogs. I think as long as there are no large patches where you can actually see the skin, it should be okay.:)

Oh, and I would just keep brushing, give your vacuum a break! ;)

t.pettet
May 30th, 2006, 09:09 PM
Tis the season and since your dog has the double coat you might want to get a metal molting comb and get right down to the skin to remove the fine undercoat, as a brush isn't the best for deep removal.

Puppyluv
May 30th, 2006, 09:25 PM
As Prin described, my girl is one of the twice a year ofr 6 month-ers. I'm the opposite of you Kohl, I have a deep blue rug and golden/white dog... recipe for disaster. Not to mention that I favour darker coloured clothing. You have to look at the bright side though.. no one will try and take your usual chair at work/school/etc because it is covered in fur, no one will try and borrow your clothes, because they are covered in fur, no one will ask to crash on your couch because it's cobered in fur, and no one will try and steal your lunch, because it is... covered in fur.:D

Prin
May 30th, 2006, 10:40 PM
Have you checked your freezer lately? Somebody at my dog park suggested it, and sure enough, there's fur in there too.:D

SunGurl372
May 31st, 2006, 09:23 AM
I've got you beat. :p Harley sheds bi- or tri-color hairs. Each individual strand blends from black to white, and sometimes back to black. So the black part shows up on my white tile floors, and the white parts show up on my dark furniture. There's no escape!!!!

Prin
May 31st, 2006, 02:11 PM
I posted this one yesterday, but it seems more fitting here:
:D
(btw Boo is 87lbs and 29 inches at the shoulders- just to give you an idea of the size)

jawert1
May 31st, 2006, 02:48 PM
My Peaches is like SunGurl's Harley - bi or tri colored hair everywhere, so couple that with white Pointer hair and ooft, I'm always covered. Also too, Lump, sometime shedding can be mitigated by food (Prin feel free to pounce on that one :)) so maybe there may be a slight reprieve there depending. My 2 are 6 month/2x a year shedders but having switched them to SGWK made a teeny difference.

rainbow
May 31st, 2006, 03:01 PM
Does anyone use a shedding blade? They work great for getting the loose hair out. I've even used one right after the dogs have come from the groomer and got alot of hair. :eek:

Prin
May 31st, 2006, 03:06 PM
Yeah, shedding can be caused by food, but that would manifest as constant heavy shedding all year long.

SunGurl372
June 1st, 2006, 12:16 AM
Prin....is that a hairball or a Tribble???? :crazy:

Prin
June 1st, 2006, 02:32 AM
What's a tribble? :o

Puppyluv
June 1st, 2006, 04:10 AM
Have you checked your freezer lately?
Prin, putting your dog in the freezer is no way to combat the shedding. That's just mean.

Puppyluv
June 1st, 2006, 04:11 AM
Ok, I did not know what this was until I looked it up, so no, I am not a trekie, but a tribble is some sort of creature that has been "banned from the klingon world"

http://hometown.aol.com/deverawords/Collections/tribble.html

jesse's mommy
June 1st, 2006, 05:38 AM
I clicked the link, that is so funny. It does look like a tribble. (I'm not a trekkie either).

SunGurl372
June 1st, 2006, 08:03 AM
There was an episode of the original Star Trek series where they brought Tribbles onboard the Enterprise. They reproduce asexually, so pretty soon the entire ship was being overrun.....hmmm, kind of sounds like our pet's hairballs, huh?

I tell my folks all the time that I just don't understand why Harley isn't completely bald. How can one dog lose that much hair and still have a full coat????

Maybe the "Tribble Theory" explains it!!!! :D

meb999
June 1st, 2006, 10:13 AM
Haha! you guys should click on the link with your speakers turned up and your dog in the same room. Buster is FREAKING out. He's growling at the computer. LOL!!!

Prin
June 1st, 2006, 03:07 PM
lol Maybe it is a tribble. These things certainly do reproduce asexually...:D (and OFTEN!)

And no, I don't keep my dogs in the freezer.:D They just store their spare fur in there.

glasslass
June 1st, 2006, 03:45 PM
Ha ha! Poodles don't shed! But, I CAN relate. Both of my brothers' dogs were here last weekend, an Akita and a German Shorthair. The fur was just swirling in dust-bunny-like swirls around the floor.

You have to look at the bright side though.. no one will try and take your usual chair at work/school/etc because it is covered in fur, no one will try and borrow your clothes, because they are covered in fur, no one will ask to crash on your couch because it's cobered in fur, and no one will try and steal your lunch, because it is... covered in fur.:D

Hellloo! That why it's called FUR-niture!:D

meb999
June 1st, 2006, 04:14 PM
And no, I don't keep my dogs in the freezer.:D They just store their spare fur in there.

That way they can take it out on days when they're not shedding quite as much....
and it keeps it nice and fresh!!!

SunGurl372
June 1st, 2006, 07:39 PM
This is what I feel like when Harley is in full-blown shedding glory (which of course is only twice a year - six months each).

Prin
June 1st, 2006, 11:08 PM
Oh, well, that's not so bad- at least Spock is there to help you clean up.:p