Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Probable chronic renal failure discovered in Hickory, my cat.

Sharole
May 28th, 2006, 10:47 PM
Hickory, my dearly beloved 15 year old male cat just had a checkup by his vet. The urine test showed a low Ph of 5.0 and specific gravity of 1.017, and he has lost a couple of pounds in 22 months. These she says suggest some kidney trouble. The blood test results will be in tomorrow. I fear the worst and am so uncertain about what lies ahead.

My vet does work with herbs and homeopathics as well as conventional medicine. I just hope there's something we (my vet & I) can do for Hickory that will still give him a good quality of life. I'm not ready to lose him. I've always believed I'd have him until at least age 20, and his last exam Aug/04 showed no signs of kidney trouble.

He's been on a urinary diet (now called Royal Canin Urinary SO) to prevent crystals since he was young, and it's been very successful in keeping him clear of crystal problems. I read somewhere that urinary diets are high in protein and that may contribute to an onset of kidney problems. Is that true?

Has anyone had a cat with chronic renal failure? Do the special kidney diets actually improve kidney function or are they just easier on a stressed system?

I've been searching the internet trying to find 'really good useful' info on homeopathics or herbs that could help cats with CRF problems, and coming up empty. My vet will fill me in some but I want to learn as much as I can on my own too. Any ideas? Sometimes these alternative avenues can produce amazing results. MAYBE there's a good option for us too. I'm sure willing to try.

It's been a teary week-end because it's always a shock to learn of an unexpected serious health issue with a pet.
Thanks for listening and for any answers to my questions.
Sharole.

Prin
May 29th, 2006, 12:34 AM
Sorry, I don't know much about herbal remedies/treatments, but I wanted to say I'm sorry for the bad news and I hope you find something that prolongs your time together.