Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Black bears again!

erykah1310
May 28th, 2006, 09:43 PM
Its that time of year again!:( Try to keep black bears away!! The alerts have gone around again with all the warnings of bird feeders, garbage, pet food and so on!!!
I have seen 3 this weekend in my field, I gather that its a momma and her cubs! Luckily, in the 4.5 years i have lived here, they have kept thier distance from the house ( have to look through binoculors to see them clearly)
I really hope that they keep their distance, I FEAR bears!!
Dont get me wrong by all means i am not saying that they dont belong here, of course they do! this was their land first! I respect them, yet i fear them.
Im just hoping this year is another year where the bears and I can co-existst comfortably again:fingerscr LOL
Any one know of other things that may attract them?? I want to make sure not to tempt them to come near the house!!
Thanks yall!

LM1313
May 28th, 2006, 10:26 PM
Wow! Well, I know they're attracted to berries and anything sweet. And if you are out in places where they might be and they can't see you coming (like a foresty area), make a lot of noise by shaking a can with rocks in it or something like that. :)

On the bright side, they're a lot easier to chase off than grizzlies. :) Don't worry, I'm sure you'll be fine. :grouphug:

rainbow
May 29th, 2006, 06:39 PM
We get them here every year. They're attracted by the fruit trees and everyone around here has lots. Sometimes when I'm walking the dogs they'll run across the road.

The closest time one was about 20 feet away. I walked up to get the mail and it was in the bushes across from the mail boxes. When I turned to start walking back it ran across the road. I couldn't see where it went so I took a different way home.

The only time I get really scared is if they have cubs with them.

erykah1310
May 29th, 2006, 10:26 PM
NO sooner did i post this last nite and the dogs started barking the walls off the house!!!! Yup, i stood in the window and listened and heard a cub!! At the creek ( approx. 15 feet from house) :eek:
It was an early nite for me tonite let me tell ya!!!!! No more outtings after dark!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

schnorkiemom
May 29th, 2006, 10:40 PM
I've spent a lot of time in remote Alaska and found that NOISE is one of your best defenses. Afterall, you are sharing their "living room" and most black bears avoid busy, noisy areas, especially if they have cubs - they'll lead them away. Not sure how "in town" you are, but setting off firecrackers (which we did in the bush) every once in a while helped. Bears are naturally curious but would rather be left alone than contend with a lot of noise. Its great that you have dogs - dog yapping (even by people) also works to chase them off. No doubt you know not to turn and run when confronted by a bear. Various state departments of fish and game offer information on bears - try a web search for expert information. Additionally, make sure your refuse containers are not an "open invitation". Bear proof garbage cans are available.