Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

My Cat Just Had Kittens!

VANILLA_SUGAR
May 28th, 2006, 03:45 AM
I Have No Idea What To Do And Its A Weekend, Im Stationed In Germany And There Are No Vets Open!
I Came Home And I Same Luna Dragging Something Across The Floor On The Other Side Of The Room. I Thought Oh My We Have Mice, So I Put My Bags Down And I Began Searching For Luna But She Dissapearred Finaly I Found Her She Was In Her Little Play Cubby Hole Curled Up With Two New Additions To The Family. Luna Is A Persian And So Is The Father. The Kittens Are All White Though, Are They Supposed To Be, Also She Has Taken To The Kittens She Hasnt Rejected Them She Is Caring And Feeding For Them. However One Of Them Still Has The Umbilical Cord Hanging, Should I Cut It?, I Wiped Them Down With A Warm Rag They Seem To Be Ok. But Where Do I Go From Here? Also The Male Cat Is Still In The House He Hasnt Bothered With The Kittens, But Will This Be Ok?

Help!

badger
May 28th, 2006, 06:50 AM
Isolate the mother and babies in a closed room, the male must be kept away. Provide lots of food and clean water for the mother. Is her cubby hole comfortable? put a clean towel down for the babies to lie on and to absorb any secretions.

If everything is going well and they are feeding and mama seems OK, there is nothing for you to do except to keep an eye on things. No need to clean them or fool with the umbilical cords, the mother will take care of everything, that's her job. For the moment, don't handle the babies any more than you have to, just let everybody rest and get to know each other.

One more reason to keep the mother and tom apart is that she will go into heat again shortly. I don't know what the situation is like in Germany but over here in Canada we are flooded with stray cats, even Persians. It would be a good idea to get the male fixed right now to prevent any further litters.

Can't help you with the babies' colour. Time will tell.

JessXx
May 28th, 2006, 11:07 AM
Congrats!
I just want to say that you should def. isolate the kittens and mother from the father...
As was said keep fresh food,water, litter etc. in the room and keep the male cat away.
Don't cut the cord off if the mother is taking care of her kittens... there's no reason as long as mom is caring for her newborns.
As for the color, I am not sure either.
I know I said a lot of whats already been said... but thats all I have.
Good Luck! :pawprint:

abudamunky
May 29th, 2006, 12:33 AM
siamese kittens are born solid white and grow their grey tips around 2-3 weeks. i'm assuming persian is the same.
I disagree on seperating the male. my patty cake let Nixi lick her and the kittens only after a few minutes of birth. It depens on the bond between mommy and daddy on whether to spereate, although i didn't let daddy alone for a good week or so. still get poppa fixed asap just to be safe.
let momma do her business and she'll be fine. it depends on her bond with you on what she will let you do with her and the babies. (my experience is that patty cake WOKE ME UP and had her litter IN MY BED next to me.:D :grouphug: :D )
congrats and hope things go well for you and the new family

Lise
May 29th, 2006, 07:31 AM
Persians that are born white generally stay the colour,only colorpoints(himalayans)change like siamese.Usually the female will not want the male around,some males will also kill kittens so it's better if he's not there.Also the female will come back in heat very fast(kitten heat)so neutering your male would be a good idea or your female will end up being constantly pregnant.