Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Older Than Dirt Quiz

rainbow
May 27th, 2006, 10:57 PM
Older Than Dirt Quiz

Count all the ones that you personally remember (experienced) NOT the ones you were told about !!! Ratings are at the bottom.

1. Blackjack chewing gum.

2. Wax Coke-shaped bottles with colored sugar water.

3. Candy cigarettes.

4. Soda pop machines that dispensed bottles.

5. Coffee shops with tableside jukeboxes.

6. Home milk delivery in glass bottles with cardboard stoppers.

7. Party lines.

8. Newsreels before the movie.

9. P.F. Flyers.

10. Butch wax.

11. Telephone numbers with a word prefix (Olive-6933)

12. Peashooters.

13. Howdy Dowdy.

14. 45 RPM records.

15. S&H Green Stamps.

16. Hi-fi's.

17. Metal ice trays with lever.

18. Mimeograph paper.

19. Blue flashbulb.

20. Packards.

21. Roller skate keys.

22. Cork popguns.

23. Drive-ins.

24. Studebakers.

25. Wringer washing machines

If you remembered 0-5 = You're still young

If you remembered 6-10 = You are getting older

If you remembered 11-15 = Don't tell your age

If you remembered 16-25 = You're older than dirt !!!

Puppyluv
May 27th, 2006, 11:03 PM
funny, but the problem is, you can still use a lot of these things, or if your parents were really slow in embracing technology, (as in my case) you may have experienced them 20 years after everyone else. I'm 21 but got a true and genuine 13:eek: thanks to my parents... we had a wringer washing machine in the late 80s and early 90s:D

Joey.E.CockersMommy
May 27th, 2006, 11:31 PM
I remembered 9 of them - if anyone is from Vancouver BC is Helens grill still at the corner of 25th and main - they had those side table jubebox machines.

Prin
May 28th, 2006, 01:57 AM
Well, there is a drive-in close to here, so does that count? (It's super fun... ;)). Otherwise, I got 3. :highfive:

rainbow
May 28th, 2006, 01:23 PM
funny, but the problem is, you can still use a lot of these things, or if your parents were really slow in embracing technology, (as in my case) you may have experienced them 20 years after everyone else. I'm 21 but got a true and genuine 13:eek: thanks to my parents... we had a wringer washing machine in the late 80s and early 90s:D

WOW, "13" and you're only "21"..... I think I need to edit my post so it reads "count the ones that you've "experienced" (because that's actually what it meant) and then you can re-do it. :D

meggie1425
May 28th, 2006, 01:57 PM
Either im still young, my memeries not good, or i was just a deprived child:D

rainbow
May 28th, 2006, 02:09 PM
I remembered 9 of them - if anyone is from Vancouver BC is Helens grill still at the corner of 25th and main - they had those side table jubebox machines.

I remember that cafe but I don't think it was called Helen's Grill back then. It was owned by a Chinese couple. We used to go there after school (Sir Charles Tupper High School) and always played the table jukebox. :D

mummummum
May 28th, 2006, 09:33 PM
:thumbs up ACED THAT TEST BABY !!! :thumbs up

Finally...phew! Thanks Rainbow !!

phoenix
May 28th, 2006, 09:43 PM
I got 4... we had a party line and metal ice trays at the cottage! And I have been to a drive in... and eaten candy cigs before.

Puppyluv
May 28th, 2006, 09:47 PM
WOW, "13" and you're only "21"..... I think I need to edit my post so it reads "count the ones that you've "experienced" (because that's actually what it meant) and then you can re-do it. :D

That's all I counted. We had a whole bunch of these in our house as I was growing up. And some of them are still around. I think in my case it's just a measure of my parents' refusal to dispose of old stuff.

Puppyluv
May 28th, 2006, 09:57 PM
2. Wax Coke-shaped bottles with colored sugar water.

3. Candy cigarettes.

4. Soda pop machines that dispensed bottles. (i presume you mean glass here)

5. Coffee shops with tableside jukeboxes.

6. Home milk delivery in glass bottles with cardboard stoppers.

9. P.F. Flyers. (still make them and sell them)

12. Peashooters.

14. 45 RPM records.

15. S&H Green Stamps. (I didn't count this, because I didn't realize the connection, and it really doesn't count, but these still exist and are now called S&H Green Points)

17. Metal ice trays with lever.

22. Cork popguns.

23. Drive-ins.

24. Studebakers.

25. Wringer washing machines

If you remembered 0-5 = You're still young

If you remembered 6-10 = You are getting older

If you remembered 11-15 = Don't tell your age

If you remembered 16-25 = You're older than dirt !!![/QUOTE]

mummummum
May 28th, 2006, 11:59 PM
And here's a "Playlist" for our soundtrack I have re-sourced from Craigslist:

It was fun being a baby boomer...........till now.

Some of the artists of the 60s are now revising their hits with new lyrics to accommodate aging baby boomers.

They include:

1. Hermans Hermits
Mrs. Brown you've got a lovely walker

2. The Bee Gees
How can you mend a broken hip

3. Bobby Darin
Splish, Splash, I was havin a flash

4. Ringo Starr
I get by with a little help from depends

5. Roberta Flack
The First Time ever I forgot your face

6. Johnny Nash
I can't see clearly now

7. Paul Simon
Fifty Ways to lose your liver

8. Commodores
Once, Twice, Three times to the bathroom

9. Marvin Gaye
Heard it through the Grape Nuts

10. Procol Harem
A Whiter Shade of Hair

11. Leo Sayer
You make me feel like napping

12. The Temptations
Papa's Got a Kidney stone

13. Abba
Denture Queen

14.Tony Orlando
Knock Three times on the Ceiling if you hear me fall

15. Helen Reddy
I am Woman, Hear me snore

16. Willie Nelson
On the Throne Again

:crazy:

erykah1310
May 29th, 2006, 01:55 AM
I only knew of 3 things :D
And as far as the playlist!!! LOL Copy and pasted that one for my dad LOL Im always razzing him bout being SOOOO OLD LOL

glasslass
May 29th, 2006, 06:52 AM
:eek: 25 out of 25! I remember them all! :sad: Don't remember the last few days quite as well though.;)

Rick C
May 29th, 2006, 09:36 AM
16 for me . . . . older than dirt. Just barely.

Some of those were probably just too sophisticated for our small, dusty prairie town so that probably kept my count low.

We had milk - in bottles with cardboard stoppers - delivered to our doorstep.

A few weekends ago we were out in Rosebud, Alberta, population 93, taking in a dinner theatre and play and the local museum had the same wringer washer machine both of our mother's used to have.

Had lots of 45 rpm records.

Used to take my .25 cents weekly allowance to the corner store to buy a .15 cent comic book and a .10 cent Jersey Milk and sit on the curb reading. I still have some of those .15 cent comic books, the one's my father didn't throw out when I went to college!!!

At school, I remember the secretary's hand-rolling out copies of test papers and stuff.

Party phone lines were hilarious . . . . . the snoops!!!

Don't remember newsreels before movies but definitely remember Bugs Bunny and Daffy Duck cartoons before movies . . . . . and drive-in theatres.

No, I don't miss those days.

Rick C
www.goldentales.ca

badger
May 29th, 2006, 10:07 AM
18! Beyond hope, I'm afraid.

If we didn't quickly bring in the milk with the cardboard stoppers, birds used to peck holes in them, trying to get at the cream on top. Everything was in bottles then. You needed muscles to be a milkman.

My mother would drag bedsheets through a hand-operated ringer, which was mounted on the side of the washing maching. Watch your fingers, child!

Every week, a lovely Chinese man called Hong used to come by with fresh vegetables in the back of his truck (it had running boards!) My mother would go out and make her selection, scolding him (kindly) for the size of the potatoes or the quality of the lettuce. He would laugh and laugh, exposing teeth so bad they must have been painful.

Although we were certainly not rich, we also had a Chinese gardener. I'm sure my mother gave him more than the going rate, which in the late forties, early fifties was 50 cents a day. Sometimes we would give him a ride home to Victoria's tiny Chinatown and he always insisted on getting out before we got to his door. It was a real ghetto; there were opium dens but they were never busted, in fact the police just stayed away.

When my brother was born (after three girls), we thought he'd die of happiness. My mother would put him in the garden in his buggy for afternoon naps and Lee would hover, worshipping the male child.

I am not nostalgic for any of this, it was discrimination in a not-so velvet glove, fed by wilful ignorance. But I do miss those quiet Sundays, the shuttered stores, hardly any cars. Lovely.

papillonmama
May 29th, 2006, 10:09 AM
I remember 8...

it was the Howdy Doody Show, but that was probably just a spelling error, right? 'cause you remember that, right? right?

We had a wringer washer
and 45's
candy cigarettes, which are now called candy sticks
we would go to the drive-in through the summer
peashooters
we had a party line we used our rotary dial phone, of course!
pop machines that dispensed bottles, and being able to bring bottles back for a refund.

I'll throw this one out there too, we used to pump our own water from a well and our t.v. ran on a truck battery, in other words, we had no electricity, so we still used oil lamps and a wood fire and here's a pic of what my mom's sewing machine sort of looked like, which belonged to my grandmother, she's not thaat old.

LibbyP
May 29th, 2006, 10:25 AM
Oh Thank Goodness, I'm Not older than Dirt, I am however getting older hee hee hee:p

Bushfire2000
May 29th, 2006, 11:02 AM
Well I'm not older than dirt. Thank goodness. Or I just have a faulty memory.

It was a real treat to go to town with dad and pick up a pop. And if we were really lucky the guy in the cafe wouldn't kick us out until we'd read a comic book. I learned to read really fast, and we bought just enough comics that he'd let us look for a while before we got the boot. He wouldn't take back the bottles though unless you'd washed them first.

Ahh life was good.

We still go to the Drive-in at least once a year. The owner there loves to show the kids how the machines work and how BIG the reels are. Hey, last year they even put in flush toilets and running water.

HunterXHunter
May 30th, 2006, 12:23 PM
Woohoo!! 2/25. I've never felt so good after failing so miserably :D

AliSam
May 30th, 2006, 10:28 PM
7/25. My Aunt had a party line at her home in the boonies, we had the ice cube tray at the cottage, I had tons of 45 RPMs....At least I am not older than dirt.