Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Cat is in a bad mood

JessXx
May 27th, 2006, 06:34 PM
Hi- I was just wondering if Pepsi might have an agression issue or if this is normal...
We will be holding her and she'll start getting mad and attacking our hands or she'll be purring and then start growling. She's normally a very affectionate cat but lately she's been downright pissy (and yes she is spayed)

Lucky Rescue
May 27th, 2006, 06:43 PM
If this behavior is new, and she's never had these fits of aggression before, then the first thing you need to do is get her checked at the vet, in case she has pain somewhere that's causing this. The growling especially makes me think something may be wrong.

JessXx
May 27th, 2006, 06:49 PM
Well she's sorta been like this all her life and its not really growling its more like a playful growl... I don't know how to describe it... but its like she's mad or playing... and its def. not new. Shes been like this for a long long time and I don't think theres any pain involved...
What else could it be?

susieqt
May 27th, 2006, 07:26 PM
One of my cats is like that; we'll be petting him around his head and his back and than wham! He'll bite us. I don't think anything is "wrong", it is probably just her personality.

Lucky Rescue
May 27th, 2006, 07:27 PM
Oh, well in that case, this is very common with cats who are easily overstimulated, usually by petting.

The only way I can describe it is like the petting builds up a charge, and the tension is released with a bite or scratch. Sort of like shuffling your feet across a carpet and getting a shock from the doorknob.:p

Cats usually give signals when they're nearing the point of a reflexive attack like this. Rippling back, twitching tail, laid-back ears, tensing up - all are signals to stop the petting.

JessXx
May 27th, 2006, 07:30 PM
Okay... Thanks, so I don't need to see the vet about this?

mom_to_many
May 27th, 2006, 10:01 PM
My son's cat is the same way! They brought her down a couple weeks ago...she purrs, growls and rubs all in one sitting! I think the growl comes in when she sees another one of my cats. But son says she does it at home too. I also have Elway...in the mornings he will rub on my legs for a bit, then all of a sudden wraps his legs around mine and bites. He will do this when I hold him too...just purring away and bites. No health problems..just Elway being Elway. :evil: :D

rainbow
May 27th, 2006, 10:27 PM
We've had a few cats that have done this. It's just part of their personality, I guess.:D

abudamunky
May 28th, 2006, 01:14 AM
man, i've had so many "ill tempered" cats. Perseus will usually only attack after giving sings (twitching tails, watching your hand very intentaly) simbe and megan (my parent's) on the other hand will swat at you for no apparent reason, either you aren't petitng them or you pet them too much, or you just crossed paths on the sidewalk. it's just something in the cats temperment, i can't say that they learned it in kitten-hood cuz most of my babies have been raised since birth.
i think it may just be a fickle ness "ok, i'm done being pet now, you can go away":evil: kinda thing.
is she is starting to attack more? (since u said she's kinda always been like this) maybe pay attention to what you are doing when she attacks, does she not like her ears/neck/tail being rubbed? does she give warning signs? something to think into, good luck

JessXx
May 28th, 2006, 11:17 AM
;) Hi everyone! thanks...
Umm, she's been like this for a long time... like since she was a baby- I've had her from basically 3 weeks old.
She hasn't been doing it more or less lately- I just decided to ask about it now because shes getting on my nerves a bit ;)
Lol, but I know its my own fault... so I don't need to hear that little bit... I know I'm doing SOMETHING wrong... guess I have to start watching her better.
Anyway- TTYL
Thanks again :highfive: