Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Flaking

vetac22841
May 27th, 2006, 04:03 PM
there is a small dry spot on my dog Prince's back. When I saw it I try to brush his hair the spot flake a bit. Any suggestions. I am now using a conditioner with oatmeal to give him his bath.

Prin
May 27th, 2006, 07:25 PM
Only one spot? Is it red at all? Could it be a beginning of a hotspot?

Jemma got nasty dandruff in one spot once where she had been bitten by another dog. A few months after the bite, her hair hadn't grown back, but the skin looked healed. Another few months later, I guess when the fur finally made it through the tough scar tissue, the dead skin just started coming off dramatically. I don't know if that can be close to your situation either...

JessXx
May 27th, 2006, 07:52 PM
It could be something from allergies, is it spreading... is it red at all? Is it just dry and dead skin... could be dry skin.
Hopefully this isn't serious... maybe seeing a vet is a good idea, esp. if it starts to spread.

abudamunky
May 27th, 2006, 08:47 PM
i have, i think, a 6 yr old domestic short hair kitty. lately when i've been brushing him i've noticed dandruff like specks that clump around his tail. (i brush head to tail) i never noticed this on him before at our old house, could he be alergic to something here or is he just gettin old? I would try to bathe him but he's scared easily and would hate me more if i tried.

JessXx
May 27th, 2006, 08:48 PM
I think its possibly allergies...

Prin
May 28th, 2006, 01:59 AM
The above the tail dryness could be anything from allergies to fleas and other parasites...