Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

degenerating sight in maltese

vukv
May 27th, 2006, 04:57 AM
Hi.

I have a 2 year old maltese cross, and the last few days his sight has been greatly deteriorating. I have taken him to a vet, and he has been booked in for a blood test.

The symptoms he has at the moment, are:

Does not see small objects.
Can see larger things such as humans, but still not very clearly.
pupils greatly dilated, and still responsive to light.
he vomited a couple of times over the last couple of days, but hasnt recently.
loss of interaction.. not very happy anymore at all.

one cause that got me worried is that while taking him for a walk one night, he was walking in front of me, sniffing the ground, and he went head first into a stone on the side of the road. he sat down stunned. he continued on normally after that, but thats when I started getting worried and noticing his reducing vision.

the vet he was taken to, wrote up a report, and in it there is a couple of things i could not understand.

Neuro and Opth:
tapetal membrane highly refective at present, and retinal vessels slightly engorged both sides.

i do not understand what this means, so i would appreciate any help.

also what sort of treatments exist, if any for degenerative eye diseases in dogs. most of the articles i have found have been quite negative..

any input is greatly appreciated, as the dog is very much loved and anything will be done to help him out.

Lucky Rescue
May 27th, 2006, 01:28 PM
You really need to ask the vet to fully explain his diagnosis, and also ask for treatment possibilities and prognosis.

But please know that blindness is that dreadful to dogs as it is to us, since our vision is our most important sense. Dogs use their noses first, then ears, and third is sight. Dogs' eyesight isn't that great to begin with, and losing their vision is a not a terrible handicap, as long you keep them on leash and don't change the furniture around all the time.

A blind dog can continue to be a healthy, happy and loving pet. Dogs do not mourn the loss of vision. They just accept things the way they are right now.