Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Kibble Query-- Quality vs Taste?

mafiaprincess
May 26th, 2006, 11:01 PM
I'm not looking for a flame war.. I honestly just want people's thoughts. I came up with this Q today, and have been thinking about it.. Quality kibble = bland kibble?

I've done way too much research on kibble in the past year.
I've learned the good bad and ugly, and why.. and thought I knew 'enough' finally.

I have come to the conclusion that after 9 kibble varieties, and a dog that hated all of them, that I've chosen quality and neglected taste..

I don't have a lab that doesn't care what she eats and only wants more, nor did I think I had a picky dog. But it's been clear she's never liked her kibble.. She isn't really a 'food pig'.

And only today after getting a bunch of new samples to try, so I think that maybe it's a sliding scale of quality kibble vs tasty kibble.. since the good kibble lacks the crappy fats that make the crappy kibble yummy..

I may just be rambling.. but I've really started to wonder. The people on varying sites that are are all hardcore about the best kibble and say that their dogs whine for dinner and such often have food pig breeds.. And maybe they wouldn't care what they were given. Breeder friend of mine says her coonhound and rottie whine for any food so..

And thoughts on quality/ vs tasty?

I gave 1/4 cup of barking at the moon + 3/4 cup of wolf king for dinner.. and I haven't ever seen it hoovered so fast. But that was 1/4 cup of high protein grain free sample kibble. So while looking into tasty there may be some things left to try, just in general, we have tried like 2 crappy kibbles and 7 quality ones, with no happiness..

Puppyluv
May 26th, 2006, 11:10 PM
I'm all for the quality. Granted, Layla has lab in her, and I think there is enough of it to make her willing to eat anything (but not enough for her to eat and eat and eat... she does get full, unlike some labs that have an empty leg). Until I switched to raw she was on Wellness WF&SP, but before that, she was on crappy Nutro Natural Choice (I thought it was good until I came here:o) Nutro isn't even the worst of the worst, and even between these two I saw unbelievable differences. She was pooping smaller, more compact poops, and less often at that. She shed less, her coat was shinier and fuller, she lost the "sniffles" that she always had before, she had more energy (ok, so not always a great thing... ;)) her noxious gas ended, and she stopped scratching.
Dogs aren't designed to digest that crap.
McDonalds tastes good, and yeah I eat it from time to time, but I could not imagine eating it for every meal, and essentially, that's what you're doing when you feed your dog crap food. (imo)

mafiaprincess
May 27th, 2006, 12:08 AM
Oh I fully agree crap food is like feeding McDs. And I see the poop differences. And the health differences, coat texture and the like.

But it is quality vs taste on a lot of better quality kibble? Or is it just the picky factor of the dog?

technodoll
May 27th, 2006, 12:58 AM
i'm not a dog so i don't know, but to my fine nose, holistic foods - such as natural balance - smell pretty good for what they are (processed grains & meat flour!). the cheaper foods stink something terrible, or are rather bland to my human nose... but hey what do i know, dogs like to eat poop and lick rotten mud puddles :eek:

i think your doggie has a case of the "pickies"... new stuff is always interesting, but after a few days or a couple of weeks, she knows something new & "better" is coming along so why eat? healthy dogs will not starve themselves and ho boy have they ever got us well trained & figured out, LOL! stop eating = new & exciting treats on the way, whoohooo! :rolleyes:

you need to pick the diet YOU want her to eat and help make it interesting by adding some real foods to the dry base (just like humans, dogs get bored eating the same thing day in, day out). add some holistic canned food, some yogurt, cottage cheese, canned fish (sardines, tuna, salmon, mackeral, all packed in water), some cooked ground beef or chicken, any plate leftovers - my dogs go crazy for mac n'cheese - and your dog will look forward to meals instead of trying to figure out a way to trick you into keeping it interesting, because hey meals ARE interesting now! and healthy, too!

what do you think? :party:

mafiaprincess
May 27th, 2006, 01:07 AM
I think you are right. I agree that most of what we've fed smelled better than IAMS. (doesn't take much tho..) I'm thinking about getting a bag of merricks and one of barking at the moon and switching it up minorly.

Mixing stuff in does work, but it causes a worse mess somedays.. like adding in yogurt she likes, and if she doesn't want it she refuses the bowl.. so you have to really work out what to add.. I haven't been as creative about it as I could be though, your list has improved my ideas, thank you.

Which is why I see the bonuses in raw and such. But where we are at now it doesn't work. And I think I do own Miss Dainty Priss.

Just have been wondering if some of the food I feed has been bland and I didn't really know.

Hoping a week of mixing and matching kibble may keep it fun, while keeping the majority of it her normal kibble. We will see. Just made me wonder is all.

Puppyluv
May 27th, 2006, 06:28 PM
Considering that thousands of dogs regularily eat each of the foods you tried, I don't think they are all that bland. I'm of the oppinion that if she refuses the bowl then that's her problem and she doesn't get another option. Layla used to rfure her meals when I first got her. I would leave the bowl there if she decided she wanted it later, but I never gave her a second option. Theyfigure out pretty quickly that it's the only food theyre going to get, and they eat it.

Prin
May 27th, 2006, 07:19 PM
I'd pick quality over taste. Boo eats moose poop- what the hell does he know?! :D

Seriously, if one didn't like it, I'd mix something in to make them like it. Like tripe. I tried it on them last week. I mixed in a can of it and both ate faster than ever (they don't have a problem with eating too little though...).

rainbow
May 27th, 2006, 10:47 PM
i think your doggie has a case of the "pickies"... new stuff is always interesting, but after a few days or a couple of weeks, she knows something new & "better" is coming along so why eat? healthy dogs will not starve themselves and ho boy have they ever got us well trained & figured out, LOL! stop eating = new & exciting treats on the way, whoohooo!

I agree with technodoll 100%. You are making your dog very picky because you keep giving into her. Choose one of the best brands and stick with it. If she turns her nose up take it away after 20 minutes or so, then don't give her anything else until her next meal. Give her the same thing again and if she doesn't eat it, take it away again. Keep doing this and when she's hungry enough she will eat. Make sure you always have water available for her while you're doing this. This is going to be harder are you than it is on her, but if you don't do it now, you're going to have this problem for her entire life.

mafiaprincess
May 27th, 2006, 11:10 PM
I don't think I've made her this picky. She got 99 pounds of wellness fish/ sweet potatoe consecutively. Most brands we've had have been 15 pound bags, the wellness I got the 33 pounders. So it isn't that I switch kibble on that often a basis that she knows it's coming. It was onlt in the beginning more than a year ago when I was looking for somethign better than iams that we'd get 4 or 6 pound bags to try, and then I'd discover the quality was still lacking because I had never heard of a 'pet food store'. But in the past maybe 8 months the kibble hasn't changed very fast. It's only been now that I've bothered with sample packets.

I helped in the last month though, and I know it. I was cleaning out the freezer and was giving her the freezer burned meat, and I know that hasn't helped. I'm aware. But it isn't really a new problem. It's always been touch and go. We used to have a 10 minute feeding schedual. It really doesn't bother me to do it.

Just if there was a kibble she actually liked, I would love to find it, hence getting samples this time, instead of another rather large bag to find that even the first kibble out she doesn't really like.

By being ready to give up I meant that she can choose to eat or not. I'm about over trying this time to give her some choice in the matter, since it's always been the food I chose, I thought maybe she could decide upon something she actually liked eating.

Prin
May 28th, 2006, 02:10 AM
But have you tried mixing in canned already? Like if you buy a can of tripe or merrick and really mix it in, does it help? (I usually mix in about 1/4 a can for a few days, just to spruce up their diet).

phoenix
May 28th, 2006, 10:04 AM
I do this too, sometimes canned food, sometimes yogurt, sometimes a bit of gravy or whatever... no picky eaters around here!

mafiaprincess
May 28th, 2006, 01:47 PM
It does get her to eat if she likes what's been mixed in. Just feels like I'm making the problem worse, because there might be 3 days of no eating after that because I didn't mix something in.

For the most part I don't mind 'helping', just is aggrivating some days.

She did eat some wold king out of her buster cube last night. I don't know anymore. Ugh.

mafiaprincess
May 28th, 2006, 02:09 PM
So I spread out half a cup of wolf king on my carpet while I ate my lunch, and after 5 minutes she actually went and chowed down.
WTF. Not that I'm not glad, just it's a never before seen thing.. Guess my carpet is tastier. :D

rainbow
May 28th, 2006, 02:37 PM
It does get her to eat if she likes what's been mixed in. Just feels like I'm making the problem worse, because there might be 3 days of no eating after that because I didn't mix something in.

You said she won't eat for three days because you didn't mix something in (after you had been doing that?)

Is there "one" thing that she likes that you mix in? If so, then mix that in all the time. Or if there's a couple things she likes then alternate.

So I spread out half a cup of wolf king on my carpet while I ate my lunch, and after 5 minutes she actually went and chowed down.

I would not do that if I were you. You are letting her control you. :eek: If you want to feed her just kibble for one of her meals or as part of a meal then put it in her buster cube.

SunGurl372
May 28th, 2006, 09:28 PM
Harley has always been a pretty "middle of the road" eater. She's on a super premium food that she likes well enough, no fireworks, but eats it with no problem. Just on her own schedule. Some days she'll scarf it up, others she'll eat when she's darn well good and ready.

I like to mix in a couple of big spoonfuls of Merrick's canned each day, just with her dinner. One can will last me about 5 days or so, which gives her a pretty regular "spruce up" to her diet, considering all the varieties that are out there. And then once in a LONG while, I'll skip the canned and add in some bits of leftover meat, or perhaps an egg.

It seems to help, because she's always more interested in dinner than breakfast (hence why I don't mix anything in with the morning meal, as it is typically put up and held until dinner).

phoenix
May 28th, 2006, 09:44 PM
WTF. Not that I'm not glad, just it's a never before seen thing.. Guess my carpet is tastier. :D

Could it be she doesn't like the bowl??

mafiaprincess
May 28th, 2006, 09:49 PM
If there's something good enough in the bowl she'll it it no prob. Maybe she hates dining alone... When not in the kichen something better can't magically appear I guess. She's had the bowl since puppyhood, Had tupperware containers prior to that, lol.

I'm afraid nightly mixing of stuff would cause a pickier eater. Eating only what she deems to be good, and holding off and having to throw out kibble because it has something spoilable in it. I don't see how doing that nightly doesn't make a picky eater, but dumping some plain kibble on the floor does.

technodoll
May 28th, 2006, 10:06 PM
Eating only what she deems to be good, and holding off and having to throw out kibble because it has something spoilable in it.

oh but see, that is the beauty of fridges! that's how i cured my boy of his pickiness.... offer the most yummy thing ever, and after 20 mins anything left uneaten goes in the fridge, bowl covered in saran wrap, and offered again 12 hours later mixed with a bit of hot water to make the gravy come back to life, and the cycle repeats until Smart Doggy realises it's that or nothing and he better eat. he ALWAYS ends up eating. i just don't waste my time or money anymore, got fed up with being manipulated by mister fussy after a while, LOL!

LM1313
May 28th, 2006, 10:09 PM
Personally, I'd rather have an excellent quality food that doesn't taste TOO stupendous so the dog/cat doesn't gorge on it. Some dogs eat so quickly I'm surprised they don't barf it all up again. :sick:

~LM~

SunGurl372
May 28th, 2006, 10:12 PM
The small amount of canned I mix in with Harley's kibble is just to give a little variety. At the end of the day, the food is still 90% kibble. Sooner or later, they'll realize it's this or nothing.

mafiaprincess
May 28th, 2006, 10:41 PM
Hahaha very ture Technodoll.
LM, I'd rather have something where the ingredients don't make me want to puke too. I just got wondering on wether maybe it tasted kinda meh.
True sungirl. I guess I just don't want her dependant on there always beign the potential for better.