Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Keeping other cats away from my own cats and property

ekeryn
May 26th, 2006, 08:33 PM
Hi,
I am a new member and this is my first time.

I have two 6mth old female cats that are locked indoors each night, but are left outside during the day, when I am not at home. For about 2 months now, another older cat (who I have not seen before) comes over to our yard and hunts down and fights with my cats. Does anyone have any ideas on how to keep that other cat away. My cats are becoming too scared to go outside during the day. Thanks, hope someone can help me, Ekeryn

mafiaprincess
May 26th, 2006, 09:02 PM
Most of us practice responisible pet ownership that includes not leaving cats outside unsupervised. Too many things can happen to them including harassment from other animals. If indoors or outside supervised, bad things can't happen.

Lucky Rescue
May 26th, 2006, 09:43 PM
Are your cats spayed? Why would you leave them outside alone during the day when you aren't home? There is no way to keep the other cat from entering your property.

Your cats could end up being stolen, run over, attacked by dogs, poisoned or could easily get (at the very least) abcesses, and contagious and fatal disease from catbites, such as leukemia, panoleukopenia, and FIV.

Puppyluv
May 26th, 2006, 10:12 PM
Most of us practice responisible pet ownership that includes not leaving cats outside unsupervised. Too many things can happen to them including harassment from other animals. If indoors or outside supervised, bad things can't happen.

Would someone please tell my neighbours this? PLEASE????

ekeryn
May 27th, 2006, 05:21 PM
Hi,
Please be real, this is not a perfect world. I am a responsible cat owner. My cats are spayed and are fully functioning normal domestic cats. I've owned cats for over 25 years and the species is still surviving. I lock them up at night, and they love to go out during the day if we are home or not. When we are at home and in the garden with them, another cat comes over to harrass them. We try and spray it with water but it doesn't work - cats hate water and they run. So..... Does anyone else know how to keep other cats away from my cats and my yard? I was hoping someone may have experienced this before and might have some sort of practical home remedy or the like to keep other cats at bay. Thanks.

CyberKitten
May 27th, 2006, 05:43 PM
Pls keep your cats inside, unless you are there to supervise. That may have been fine 25 yrs ago (I know my family a long time ago, 25 yrs ago maybe? :) ) allowed our kitties outside in our neighbourhood and while I still live in a safe neighbourhood, my cats do not go out unless they are on a leash or in their stroller. My Siamese will go out in the back yard which is enclosed but none of my cats like the cold so it has never been an issue. They do watch the cats across the street - who I never shoo from the yard. They are good cats and if they dig in my flower bed, I just say no (I tend to care for them when their ppl are away) and they listen. They only are out when their family is home too tho.

Most ppl here (where I live) and on this board keep pets in - the world alas is not as it w=once was and there are far too many dangers to allow cats to wander outdoors. They can be killed by cars, attacked by other animals or ppl who do not like cats, acquire diseases - even when vaccinated, injured, - the list is endless. Cats and dogs have been known to die just from licking antifreeze.

Even when I take my Siamese outside, her paws get washed off when she comes in - you never know what parasites are lurking below the surface and I am not willing to take chances. My others are Sphynx kitties and they HATE the cold (having little fur) and they might venture out in July but even tho it was a balmy 20 somethingC today, Chelsea poked her nose out the door and whined and there was no way she was going out, lol

As long as your cats are outside, they will attract other cats. It is the roaming season I am afraid even if they are spayed and cats are naturally curious. If they are in an enclosed area and the other cats cannot get in, they might help. (But even then, you need to be around). There are ways of keeping cats away but as long as your cats are there, I don't think it is possible - unless they are indoors.

You prob know most reliable breeders and cat rescue groups will not adopt to people who allow their cats outside to roam. I've always thought this article explains it well:

http://www.siameserescue.org/educate1.html

I might add I am real - I do not need to get real. <g> (I've always thought that expression ("get real")a tad too sarcastic and I am just trying to be helpful). Would you want anyone to spray your cat with water? What would you do to the person who did it? Have you talked to the person who has this cat? What do they say? Is the cat maybe in need of help? That would be the 1st thing to do. If the cat is aggressive and causing probs, perhaps you can build an area for your cats to go outside when you are home? If the cat is not causing probs - and is vaccinated, etc, etc - maybe he can be a friend for your cats? If not, I would speak to the cat's family and express your concerns - they may not be aware of the problem or if no-one "owns" the cat, you may be able to help the cat by calling a rescue (Do not call the SPCA- they'll prob just euthanize the poor thing!)

JessXx
May 27th, 2006, 06:54 PM
I think the members of this forum will have a huge problem with this post (and I see that they already do)...
Most of us keep our animals inside... most of us also supervise our animals outside...
My best advice is for you to keep your cat inside-

Lucky Rescue
May 27th, 2006, 06:57 PM
If you want to leave your cats outside, then they will continue to be attacked. Yes, I have experienced this in the past, and no - there is no way to keep other cats off your property when you're not there, without trapping and removing them or doing something illegal or inhumane.

And it's not necessary to live in a "perfect world" merely to leave your cats in the house when you're not home to protect them.

My cats are spayed and are fully functioning normal domestic cats

Just don't be too surprised if you come home and find one or both missing, or find injuries or disease which can and does happen even to "fully functioning" cats. Happens every day in fact.

JessXx
May 27th, 2006, 07:16 PM
I feel like responding to this post again...
I want you to know that it is very dangerous to have your cats outside ALONE....
one thing is traffic, you can't control it and your cat may just be a victim to an accident.
Poisen, anything can be left out in yards and you never know what is in your neighbours grass.
Cruelty- I've heard too many stories of sick people hurting animals just for 'fun'.
Injuries... your animal could get cut or injured in another way and it may go undectected, possibly getting infected... anything could happen.
Diseases- theres many diseases that can be transferred to your cat through other animals...

If you think you can't train your outdoor cat to be an indoor cat, you are mistaken... its very easy and your cats can still have outside time- just supervised... (can I ask WHY you chose to have them outside?)
A good thing to help your cats enjoy the time indoors rather than outdoors is (if they are in a room) to keep a window with a secure screen on it and lots of toys, fresh water, fresh litter, fresh food, lots of toys and bedding. There should be a bit of room for the cats to lounge and move around, it would be a nice idea to have a high area close to the window so they can look out it.
(My cat stays in my room during the day while we are gone for a few hours and she doesn't mind, she just sleeps on my bed, we just make sure she has food,water,toys and fresh litter.)
You can get a fence for your cats to go outside while you are home and it will make it easier for them to handel being indoor cats.
You can also train your kitties to go on leashes.
This is the only suggestion I personally have to keep other cats off your property... because frankly theres no other way to keep your cats safe.
Hopefully you can take some of my advice and the other members advice and use it...
You only need a room, it can be a guest room and keep the food,water,toys,litter,sleeping area, etc. in there.
Good luck and update us...
http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c358/J3ssx/indoorpoem.jpg

rainbow
May 27th, 2006, 10:59 PM
It's impossible to keep other cats from coming into your yard.

If your cats must go outside in the daytime, unsupervised, then you should build them a wire enclosure. Make sure that it is covered at the top so they can't get out and others can't get in.

OntarioGreys
May 28th, 2006, 08:29 AM
I've owned cats for over 25 years and the species is still surviving.

Just some things for you to ponder

A feral cat has an average life span of 2 to 3 years(according to Maverick cats), an owned outdoor cat will have an average life span of less than 7 years(Los Vegas study Am J Vet Res., Vol 45, No. 2:282-7)
and a strictly indoor cats will average 15 years. A cats natural feral lifespan is similiar to that of the rabbit, natures way to keep the species surviving was to give them the ability to multiply much like rabbits, so no you will not be to blame for the loss of a species ;)

Just wondering, what have you done to prevent your cats from leaving your yard and becoming a nuisance to others like this cat that is coming into your yard is doing???

Do you know for sure they are not walking acrossing someones car and scratching the paint, do you know they are not eliminating in someone elses gardens(possibly causing a pregnant woman who is working in her garden planting flowers or putting in spring bulbs to lose her baby) or childs sandbox or ripping open other peoples garbage , spraying outside their front door etc.

Residents of my city forced through a bylaw making it illegal to allow cats to roam at large, as they had finally got fed up with them, I doubt any other topic had city hall chambers as packed for months as the free roaming cat debate did.

Are you also aware that if your cats trespass onto someone elses yard and if that person should have dogs that do kill or try to kill it and should the dog recieve injuries as a result, that you can be held financially liable for the dogs injuries as well as any costs to your own animal especially if the dogs were securely confined to their owned fenced yard.

I have 3 dogs and 2 cats the dogs get along fine with the cats and view themn as part of their pack, but when the spot and an outdoor cat they have no concept that this is someones pet or the same as their own cats to them that cat is simply prey just like they view a rabbit, I am sure your past cats have caught mice and birds that is natural instinct for them to do that, in the same way it is natural instinct for a dog to catch prey, now my dogs have not caught a cat yet but they have caught rabbits, and I can honestly and truthfully say what happens is horrible to watch, the fastest one will run and try to grab it by the neck if that one has time it will shake it to break the neck before the others get to it, the other dogs will try to grab the rabbit by the legs to try and tear it out of the others mouth the damage that can be done is horrible, especially if the rabbit neck has not been broken yet, it will go through immense suffering at this point, this is a fate your own cats can face if allowed to free roam, I cannot imagine any worse a fate a pet cat could face than this, and yet many pets cats have faced this kind of ending.

Sneaky
May 28th, 2006, 10:50 PM
I just want to say, I am sorry but I too allow my cats
outdoors. I tried keeping my younger in for a year,
but it wasnt fair. Not only did he not behave like
a normal healthy cat, but he was developing neurotic
behaviours, despite oodles of toys and attention.
Since he has joined our older cat outdoors,
he has improved 10 fold.
I too am a strong believer of having cats allowed
outside, providing they are 1)spayed/neuter 2)vaccinated
and 3) not left outside all night.
Indoor cats in my experience are neurotic and strange.
As for lifespans...most of the people I have known,
my family included, has had indoor/outdoor cats
who have lived mostly all in excess of 17 or even
20 years. Their lifespans were not at all reduced
by being outside.
Of course, none live in real "city" type atmospheres,
though some on busier roads. I might reconsider
having an outdoor cat if I lived in say downtown
montreal or vancouver, but not in rural areas.

Dont let everyone get you down Ekeryn,
I think you are fine to let your cats out.

To keep other cats out, consider investing in a
pet barrier fence, or use a proprietary cat repellent
spray regularly around your homes boundaries.
It works to keep my cat out of my gardens,
and also keeps him in the yard n others out.

erykah1310
May 29th, 2006, 01:39 AM
I have 2 Indoor only cats and one who picks and chooses, I also live very rural!! I too have no strong objections on your cat going outside. However as long as you are aware of the dangers lurking out there! It is a scary world for man and beast.
My Oliver goes out because there was no curing him of his refusual to deficate in a litter box and strong desire to pee on the couch. (Believe me we tried, behaviourists and all!) He is happy now to go out and in as he pleases.
And he is helping alot with the mouse and rat population in the sheds and near the rabbit food!
Now to your question, NO there is no way to keep cats off your property, nor is there a way to keep your cats off others property.
I really have no suggestions for you on this, nor do i have any experience in this department.
Sorry

chico2
May 29th, 2006, 06:43 AM
I agree with everyone else,however my 3 cats do go outside with us,never on their own.
Now in the summer,we are usually outside several hours at a time.
When we see a neighborhood cat,we usually scare it away,because another cat is one thing that make my cats jump the fence,which they otherwise would not.
The only way to keep strange cats out of your yard is if you too are outside,in our case just clapping our hands makes the cat run off.

Lucky Rescue
May 29th, 2006, 09:27 AM
Dont let everyone get you down Ekeryn,
I think you are fine to let your cats out

Obviously it's not fine, since the cats are being "hunted down" and attacked by other cats to the point that they are now afraid to go out! Doesn't sound fine to me. If it were, the OP wouldn't be here asking advice.

I agree that cats love to go outdoors. I too have always had cats who go outside, but only when I am home to keep an eye on them and protect them.

I would never go off to work leaving two female cats outside to be attacked. Maybe the OP has never heard of FIV or FeLV, but it's fairly common around here.

ekeryn
May 30th, 2006, 02:49 AM
Thanks SneakyPete79. I knew I was not the only one that left their cats out during the day, and thought it normal. I agree with all that you say. Thanks for your advice about how to keep the other cat out and my cats in. I'll give it a go. Thanks also to others that gave advice on the subject.

Admittedly, I will have to work on the situation with this other cat. And, yes, I have realised that I could possibly be inflicting the same situation on someone else with my own cats. I will look into this with my neighbours.

I don't feel a need to waste any more of my time or yours justifying how I look after my two beautiful moggies (who I might add, were rescued by us from our local animal welfare centre). They are lovingly cared for and will live long and happy lives for the next 15+ years, indoors and outdoors, supervised or not.

mafiaprincess
May 30th, 2006, 04:10 AM
Pretty snotty attitude when you asked for help simply because you didn't like the answer given by most people even though it's the truth.

chico2
May 30th, 2006, 06:53 AM
I have had the unpleasant,sad task a couple of times,having to tell neighbors their cat was just scraped off the street,the latest a beautiful longhaired Calico.
Every time you let a cat out the door to roam,you take a chance he/she will not come back again:sad:

phoenix
May 30th, 2006, 06:54 AM
They are lovingly cared for and will live long and happy lives for the next 15+ years, indoors and outdoors, supervised or not.

If there's one thing I've learned about animals... you can never count on their longevity. Cars, dogs, viruses, other cats... there are a ton of risk factors that will more than likely shorten that 15 years you expect...

Snooky'sMom
May 30th, 2006, 07:31 AM
I
To keep other cats out, consider investing in a
pet barrier fence, or use a proprietary cat repellent
spray regularly around your homes boundaries.
It works to keep my cat out of my gardens,
and also keeps him in the yard n others out.

I agree with everyone the cats are much safer inside but some cats MUST get outside a least for a part of the day.

Sneakypete79- I've been trying to keep my cat within the boundaries of my fence. Where can I buy that cat repellent and pet barrier fence? Thanks.

White Wolf
May 30th, 2006, 11:46 AM
This thread has run its course and will now be closed.