Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

maggie update

t.pettet
May 26th, 2006, 08:24 PM
Maggie stayed in vets for 4 days, finishes her anti-biotics tomorrow, was very sore in the dis-located shoulder and hobbled around for about 5 days but is doing well physically although she is having terrible nightmares and is waking up 3-4 times a night yelping and thrashing. She's fine going for short walks but very skittish on anything longer and trembles/leans up against her mum's legs when she sees another dog or hears one barking. Her vet bill was $650 which Joan is suing the pitts owner for plus going for another few thousand for pain, suffering and emotional issues. This guy that owned the pitt had another 2 (one pregnant female and a male pup) living under the same roof plus his twin daughters aged 4. This place was an accident waiting to happen. His neighbours said that they're very relieved all 3 are now gone as the dogs were frequently heard fighting in his back-yard and parents and other pet owners were concerned that they would get loose. Poor Maggie, hope she can get over this and get her confidence back soon.

pamha
May 27th, 2006, 01:53 AM
Thanks for the update, I`ve been wondering how Maggie was doing. Poor girl, I hope she is able regain some confidence & your friend is successful in her lawsuit.

We had neighbors similar to these a few years ago, byb-ers who depended on selling pittie pups to make their rent. The dogs were sweet as pups, but the ones they kept became mean, people-aggressive dogs. They, too, had young kids and scared me to death because one of our basement windows opened onto their yard and the dogs would lunge, snarling at me everytime I went downstairs (we had to block off the window). The police were called several times because one of the dogs would scale their 6 foot fence and threaten anyone on the sidewalk. The whole thing ended tragicly when they were moving out & the dogs got loose and killed another neighbor`s senior pit. One was shot & the others PTS.

I hope these dogs are dealt with as humanely as possible, but sounds like there will be no happy endings.
Best wishes to Maggie & your friend

rainbow
May 27th, 2006, 11:09 PM
Glad to hear Maggie is okay physically. The emotional part is probably going to take a very long time. :( Does she have any buddies that she knows well? If so, have they been able to visit her yet to see how she would react to her regular playmates?

JessXx
May 28th, 2006, 12:27 PM
Oh I was just thinking about Maggie, I came across one of your posts a few days ago and didn't see this one... I'm glad to hear she's ok physically as well!
Good luck to both of you! :pawprint:

t.pettet
May 28th, 2006, 09:19 PM
Maggie and her mum came over today for a few hours and she has no issues with my small dogs and even chased Joe around for awhile, darting between the trees and around his pool (she gets frustrated that he's too fast). She has a black lab that she is friends with so Joan is going to schedule a playtime sometime this week. Will pass along your well wishes. Thanks.

rainbow
May 29th, 2006, 07:42 PM
Thanks for the update and glad to hear things are going well.

glasslass
May 29th, 2006, 09:17 PM
Thanks for the update! I have also wondered about Maggie. It's been almost 2 years since Den-Den was attacked. He's still apprehensive around large dogs, but this weekend both of my brothers were here with their two large dogs, a German Shorthair and an Akita. He did stick close to us but there were no defensive growls or incidents on his part. On their part, they just ignored him and played happily with each other. I could see him relax after awhile. It'll take time, but if Maggie can have some positive experiences with larger dogs, she should gradually relax too and recover from her trauma. I will probably always be protective of Den-Den and maybe he senses that. Maggie will look to her owner for guidance in how to react around other dogs.