Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Wounded Paw

Terrie
January 3rd, 2004, 08:45 AM
Hi
I have an 11 month old German Shepherd who's favoring his right leg. He is quite active where he jumps on and off the bed and runs alot but he favors his right paw.
I have taken his paw in my hands and pressed on his pads, between his toes and moved his leg straight and folded, and pressed his leg, elbow and shoulder feeling for lumps and NOTHING! he does not yelp or cry or look like he is in discomfort except he's limping and keeps his leg elevated when he stands or sits.
Can you help me? should I take concern of this or ride it out to see if maybe it's a muscle that's pulled .
I'm not sure if i should take him in
please advs.
Thx
A worried MOM:(
my e-mail addy is theresab@mnsi.net

amaruq
January 3rd, 2004, 09:01 AM
How long has he been doing this?

Do you think it might be the hip?

You know your better safe then sorry and take him in for a check up.

Terrie
January 3rd, 2004, 10:54 AM
Originally posted by amaruq
How long has he been doing this?

Do you think it might be the hip?

You know your better safe then sorry and take him in for a check up.

Hi
Thanks for your response to my e-mail, he's only been limping for two days and it's his front leg. hip displacia is with hind legs, i'm not sure what it is but it does have me worried.
Thanks again for responding
Terrie

Luba
January 3rd, 2004, 11:30 AM
Dogs can easily get sprains like we do.

If it's persisting and not doing any better by all means go to the vet, a ligament could be torn.

Try ice at 5-7 minute intervals every hour and see if there is a noticeable difference.

mona_b
January 3rd, 2004, 11:35 AM
Yes I would have him checked.Is he pure?The reason I ask this is because they are prone to Panosteitis.Now this usually starts at 5 months.And it starts in the front paw.My cousins Shepherd had this.I have 2 shepherds.But they never got it.Thank god.But yes,I would get him checked.

Terrie
January 3rd, 2004, 12:10 PM
Originally posted by mona_b
Yes I would have him checked.Is he pure?The reason I ask this is because they are prone to Panosteitis.Now this usually starts at 5 months.And it starts in the front paw.My cousins Shepherd had this.I have 2 shepherds.But they never got it.Thank god.But yes,I would get him checked.

Hi and thanks for responding, yes he is a purebred, but there is NO history of disease in his family, i made sure of that with the breeder and his vet. I've never heard of this disease before but will definitely look it up. He does not show any sympton, like pain when i manhandle his paw, and trust me, i've checked it out .Thanks again and aren't they wonderful?
German Shepherds? :

Terrie
January 3rd, 2004, 12:13 PM
Originally posted by Luba
Dogs can easily get sprains like we do.

If it's persisting and not doing any better by all means go to the vet, a ligament could be torn.

Try ice at 5-7 minute intervals every hour and see if there is a noticeable difference.

Hi and thank you for your response, this is what i'm thinking, because yes like humans, they tend to ruffhouse and hurt themselves or sleep on it the wrong way. It's been two days and i've been massaging his whole leg in hopes it will feel better, i will wait a few more days, and if he doesn't show signs of getting better, it's off to the vets we go!
Thanks again

Lucky Rescue
January 3rd, 2004, 12:16 PM
I'm not sure if this is the same thing as Mona mentioned, but very large,fast growing puppies are also subject to what is commonly called "growing pains" particularly if they are exercised too hard.

Here's a link describing symptoms, causes, and treatment.

Growing pains (http://www.labbies.com/dysplasa.htm)

Terrie
January 3rd, 2004, 01:48 PM
Originally posted by LuckyRescue
I'm not sure if this is the same thing as Mona mentioned, but very large,fast growing puppies are also subject to what is commonly called "growing pains" particularly if they are exercised too hard.

Here's a link describing symptoms, causes, and treatment.

Growing pains (http://www.labbies.com/dysplasa.htm)

Thank you so much for the informative site. I've never heard of such a disease but am now aware of it. Although he has no history of this disease I will definitely keep an eye out and contact his vet if it continues.
Thanks again
Terrie:p

mona_b
January 3rd, 2004, 01:54 PM
There dosen't have to be a history in the family.There was no history in the family with my cousins GSD.Yes L.R..It is sort of like growing pains.This panosteitis is in GDS's or crosses with it.That is why you never over exercise them when they are pups.Lots of running,or going up and down stairs alot.The only thing with my cousins dog is that he didn't show signs of pain.The only pain was in my cousins pocket.The vet bills came to $3000...But it was worth it.Here is a ling about it.

http://www.bobmckee.com/Client%20Info/Musculoskeletal/Panosteitis%20in%20Dogs%20.html

Yes,they are wonderful dogs.Always had them.