Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Celebrity Dog Whisperer Says Ban won't Work

Oswaldsmum
May 26th, 2006, 07:58 PM
http://www.canada.com/topics/entertainment/story.html?id=12d5bfe8-23d8-4b52-a059-139f93bf540e&k=72537

I saw this guy on Oprah the other day. He takes up to 10-12 dogs for walks at a time and has pit bulls right in there walking beside other dogs from lap dogs to rotties and they are all unmuzzled and on regular leashes.

It's all in the training!

babyrocky1
May 26th, 2006, 10:23 PM
Thanks for the link Oswalds Mom, I have heard recently that he has a show , weekly I think, that one can watch on some cable or another, does anyone know when its on or on what channel. We recently got Rogers Digital, if that means anything, I relly want to see this show!

I love it when people start an article saying this ban is based on "ignorance" lol Its as if he knows Michael Bryant already LOL

Stacer
May 27th, 2006, 09:45 AM
It says in the article that his show is on the National Geographic channel.

Prin
May 27th, 2006, 07:39 PM
Yeah, but he might not be so credible once his lawsuits go to court (he's being sued for animal abuse).

babyrocky1
May 27th, 2006, 08:13 PM
I didnt know that Prin....who is suing him? I think you have to take those things with a grain of salt, if he making money (and it sure sounds as if he is) theres always someone who wants to get there hands/paws on it LOL But the maybe its legit...hope not.

Anyways, I think, and keeping in mind Ive never seen the guy, hes probably pretty knowledgeable but also knows how to commercialize his abilities, if hes against breed bans, then hes at least comericializing the right side of the issue, after all if the papers can make money off of pit bull stories then an acknowledged "entertainment guy" should be able to. A guy like this has more "credibility" with the masses than does someone who is simply a scientist or an animal behaviorist.
I mean the guys beeen on Oprah, hes gotta know his stuff:p

LM1313
May 27th, 2006, 09:48 PM
I've never seen his show, but I know he's being sued after a dog nearly died at his facility when it was put on a treadmill, unattended, tied to it with a choke collar on! :eek: From what I've read about this, guy, he's a hack. He's all about dominating a dog, whether it's necessary or not. For example, if a lab is scared of walking across a wood floor, he'll hook it up to a choke collar and drag it across the floor (literally) again and again. :mad:

So, while I agree with him about this particular issue (the ban not working), I wouldn't consider him a knowledgable dog trainer. He's really just a "TV personality". I wouldn't trust him with any animal of mine.

~LM~

Prin
May 28th, 2006, 01:53 AM
I agree LM.. He's a total hack. The only way he has gotten away with the abuse so far is by having people around him who are clueless about animals. Even on his show he booted a dog to "redirect" his attention. I've never seen him train without a prong or a choke pulled as tightly as possible.. I'll try to find the article about the lawsuit- somebody posted it on here a couple of weeks ago.

Prin
May 28th, 2006, 01:54 AM
Here: http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=26496
The article is from CNN, so it must be true. ;) ;)

Oswaldsmum
May 28th, 2006, 02:48 AM
Sorry, I wasn't aware of him other than what I'd seen on Oprah. I should run over to her message board and see if anyone has brought up the issue of abuse with regard to him over there.

He was talking about being the 'pack leader' and how the owner has to show the dog that he/she (the dog) isn't, and the owner is. It was pretty basic stuff, (somewhat unbelievable that he demonstrated to the owner what to do, and the first time the owner did it, the dog obeyed, but I chalked that up to the magic of editing), but I had not seen his show or even heard of him before the other day.

And given Oprah's reputation, (as well as her own experience with the law), I'm frankly pretty surprised that she'd endorse someone who has a questionable history with animals.

I was just happy that someone who had her stamp of approval was on the right side of this issue.

Apologies again.

Prin
May 28th, 2006, 11:47 AM
To me Oprah is just as clueless. If you watch his show on the National Geographic channel, you can see right away that his techniques are mediocre (and that's just the stuff they let you see!). What he says most of the time is really true, but he doesn't do what he says. He doesn't lead with respect, he leads by fear. If he was around and somebody I knew was having trouble with their dog, I would definitely tell them to run in the opposite direction screaming.

jesse's mommy
May 28th, 2006, 11:50 AM
Speaking of Oprah, didn't she have a little "uproar" about supporting someone about a book not too long ago? Something about this guy writing a book about his life and overcoming many hardships that turned out to not be about his life? I think she took a lot of heat from that one. You think she would learn to hire people that research a little better before she supports them. I just agree that she has no clue too. She needs to spend a little more money on her research team. :p

rainbow
May 28th, 2006, 01:50 PM
LOL...Oprah?? Clueless??? Certainly isn't the first time. :D

I wonder what Dr. Phil would have to say? :eek: