Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Feeding samples

mafiaprincess
May 26th, 2006, 03:25 PM
We have about 7 more excruciating pounds of wolf kig left.. and we will get through them I hope.. THough it's lookign like a finicky loosing battle.

That's something like 6 brands, 9 types of food now. And we still haven't found anything 'happy'. Poop is finally good, but that's no good if you have to force feed the dog. Sure, leave it on the floor and in a few days she eats.. Time the meals, and eventually she eats some. But Since we are always on the go, she's got to be hungry, she is loosing weight, and I'm gettign a little fed up. She's never been head over heels for any kibble, except crap when it's in another dogs dish, or really nasty sample packets in the mail ie beneful. :yuck:

I went to global pet foods and the lady workign there was incredibly helpful. We got a ton of samples, rather than comitting to a bag of anything else.

How would you feed samples to see what is liked rather than what's new and different for a day?
We have 2 barking at the moon even tho the protein makes me a little wary, if she'll eat it, I'll live with it a while. 4 types of merrick dry, and 4 little canine life muffins.
Suggestions on how to do this in a way that will prove something?

Puppyluv
May 26th, 2006, 03:35 PM
This may work, or this may turn out to be a disaster, but I would try one of two things: 1) setting out bowls of each type and seeing what is eaten first and with the most viguor. or 2) offering a bowl of the current food and one of a new food and seeing which is prefered. then taking all of the ones preferred over the current food, compare them the same way.

technodoll
May 26th, 2006, 03:36 PM
...do you add anything to the dry food to make it more palatable?... some dogs are just not big eaters no matter what you feed them, and others just plain don't like kibble (with just reason...) so no matter what brand or flavor you choose, it will always be a battle to get them to eat. a bit more info on your situation would be cool :cool:

mafiaprincess
May 26th, 2006, 04:03 PM
For the first maybe week of any food, we are okay.. It's everything after that. I've wet her kibble down fairly often, because she doesn't always seem to drink enough, and with some kibble it becomes gravy like..

When desperate, I have added a spoonful of broth in. She's been turning her nose up for weeks, and I've been cleaning out the freezer, so the only reason she's eating is there's extra meat added in to her food daily. And I know it helps her become pickier.. But I really need her to finish the last of the wolf king.

Puppyluv, I'm sure she'll take any new kibble over the wolf king. She didn't even want to take a kibble and eat it when I opened the bag... Least with the wellness fish and sweet potatoe she in the beginnign wanted to take the kibble..

She was choosing wolf king over the fish and sweet potatoe with both mixed into her bowl..

I'm pretty sure she's just not pro kibble.. But the new samples I have are 'meatier' and she may liek them better.. Don't like the muffins I don't think, but I'll try them.

I know raw would work better with her. But, I've tried bits here and there, and it would be more time consuming than most people. It would have to be bite sized meat, and she won't chew bones. Loves raw meat, but holds it and cries if it isn't tiny little pieces like kibble.. Won't make the effort to try to make it bite sized herself.. Which means I need her a lot for my convinience to eat kibble.. but I'd like the next bag to be something she chose.. sort of. Leave her with a piece of meat even something not too thick or large, and she may lay with it or run around with it screaming for more than an hour. It's sad.

I've never taken samples. Always just chosen what I wanted..
So I'd like her to hopefully make some sort of descision if she can..

People have suggested home cooking or a more careful version of raw all in tiny pieces, but as long as I live with my parents, neither option is overly feesable. For now, it's got to be in the realm of more convient, though, I am starting to see why raw, and do appreciate it.
Just gets me to read how people's dogs love their kibble so so much that they hoover it when it goes down.
I don't think at any point I coddled to make her picky. At times she isn't picky. I just really do pray she lieks the merrick's or the barking at the moon.

Puppyluv
May 26th, 2006, 04:09 PM
What about 1/2 kibble with 1/2 merrick's canned entrees? No dog can turn that stuff down, heck it sounds so appetizing, I could be tricked into eating it...:p
Or failing that, can Bravo be bought where you are? I have a friend in NYC who uses it, but I don't know anyone in Canada, so maybe it isn't available up here, but there might be other prepared raw foods available.

Puppyluv
May 26th, 2006, 04:14 PM
Never tried any of these, but they sound ok, (someone yell at me if I'm blowing hot air please)
http://www.naturesvariety.com/content.lasso?page=1308&-session=naturesvariety:46378C8D0cd7e27633Jmn2062DF B

mafiaprincess
May 26th, 2006, 04:33 PM
Bravo is american only. I wrote that in the raw thread.. I like the idea of it.
Though there's a co. that makes raw patties instead that sound better. no cutting the tube up, can't remember which company it was.. doubtful it's in canada though.

With Merrick's wet being like 3 bucks a can here, I have no desire to start using it. I already pay more than a lot of people for kibble though thankfully my dog is small, so it's not like we go through it at freight train speed.

The natures variety kibble is just liek any good kibble. The tubes of the stuff are better for training, they are less quality.

A friend made a suggestion... she hates kibble because all the high quality stuff doesn't taste like much. The nasty fats taste good, and we haven't ever fed much of it. She's got a point. Doesn't help me fix this though. I refuse to go back to a food where the ingredients make me cringe..

Puppyluv
May 26th, 2006, 04:38 PM
Sorry, I should have specified, not the Nature's Variety kibble, but the frozen raw food (ex. Venison: http://www.naturesvariety.com/content.lasso?page=1333&-session=naturesvariety:46378C8D0cd7e27633Jmn2062DF B)
Ingredients: Venison, Lamb Liver, Lamb Hearts, Ground Lamb Bone, Apples, Carrots, Pupmkinseeds, Butternut Squash, Ground Flaxseeds, Chicken Eggs, Montmorillonite Clay, Broccoli, Lettuce, Spinach, Kelp, Salmon Oil, Apple Cider Vinegar, Parsley, Honey, Blueberries, Alfalfa Sprouts, Grapefruit Seed Extract, Persimmons, Olive Oil, Duck Eggs, Pheasant Eggs, Quail Eggs, Inulin, Rosemary Extract, Sage, Clove, Mixed Tocopherols, Citric Acid.

mafiaprincess
May 26th, 2006, 04:52 PM
Ahhh not the pre cooked tube stuff. Then nature's variety is the raw patty people I was thinking of. But my Global pet food hadn't heard of anyone's premade raw lines. I explained Bravo to her.. Someone I know just started to suppliment her Bravo order with NV raw patties. She loves that they come pre cut.. Rather than her semi thawing a tube of bravo to chop it up for a month.

We did 1/4 cup of barking at the moon + 3/4 cup wolf king for dinner. Giant hit. Don't know if it really does have 'taste' where a lot of premium foods are somewhat bland.. or if it was newness. But she ate it that minute.

Puppyluv
May 26th, 2006, 06:25 PM
Glad to hear tonight went well! The Pet Valu in Whitby sells NV, or if you are willing to drive to Ajax or Oshawa they sell NV at the Global there:
http://www.naturesvariety.com/where_can.lasso?-Token.prov=ON&r=1819744

mafiaprincess
May 26th, 2006, 06:44 PM
Cool, that's even the local one I used tl go to till I got attitude. Maybe they've gotten happier since..
Worth checking out. TY.

I was at the Oshawa global today. Never heard of NV raw/frozen.

mafiaprincess
May 27th, 2006, 01:50 PM
And we are back to not eating again today.. I about give up. Lord.

Prin
May 27th, 2006, 06:21 PM
What I did with my doggies was I held each food in a closed fist and let them try to pry one open. Once they realize it's a lot of effort to get both, IMO they decide which one is most worth it.

I think you also have to stick with one... The more you switch, the more she learns that if she snubs food for a day, she gets a gourmet meal the next day.

rainbow
May 27th, 2006, 09:51 PM
And we are back to not eating again today.. I about give up. Lord.

Don't give up :eek: You need to stop giving in to her. Read my reply to your "Kibble Query" thread.

SunGurl372
May 28th, 2006, 08:40 PM
Just a note based on my experience, don't always assume your furkid will pick a kibble they like based on samples.

See my comments in this thread ...
http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=20069

I tried all kinds of samples with Harley. She'd stick her nose up at some, go to town on others, seemed easy to pick. Put the same things down the next day, she'd go a totally new direction, favoring something she wouldn't even touch the day before.

I ended up gambling on something she seemed to like, picking it over others because I preferred the ingredients in the food.

mummummum
May 28th, 2006, 08:41 PM
Mafiaprincess - I think The Dog Den on Church street (in TO) still sells the frozen raw food patties . Warning though - this is not an inexpensive way to feed.

Esaunders
May 29th, 2006, 03:10 PM
What about just buying box containers of beef, chicken or veg. broth and adding those to her kibble?

Loads cheaper than canned food and adds taste. I do this when my guy gets picky and it works like a charm. 1 box lasts about a week and costs close to the same as 1 large merricks can.