Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Who's with me? poutine is

technodoll
May 26th, 2006, 10:56 AM
gooooooooooooood!!! :D guess what i'm having for Friday lunch, LOL!

http://www.jonno.com/now/poutine_400.jpg

HunterXHunter
May 26th, 2006, 10:59 AM
I'm gonna report you for posting indecent pictures of food that I rather be eating than the lunch I brought from home...

technodoll
May 26th, 2006, 11:04 AM
don't i just know it! the guilt is killing me, i'm leaving my good lunch in the fridge to go have poutine with colleagues - so do i go to hell in a handbasket or on the express train? :evil:

catsnatcher-CDN
May 26th, 2006, 11:34 AM
Not sure if this is considered promotion but the BEST BEST BEST poutine in this city is at a walk-in/stand only restaurant called 25th Avenue on Fairemount at the corner of Esplanade in Outremont. HE MELTS THE CHEESE!!

I wonder if he's still open....

Joey.E.CockersMommy
May 26th, 2006, 11:36 AM
As long as you plan to work out for four hours afterwards you shouldnt feel guilty at all. :evil: :D

Puppyluv
May 26th, 2006, 11:40 AM
Not sure if this is considered promotion but the BEST BEST BEST poutine in this city is at a walk-in/stand only restaurant called 25th Avenue on Fairemount at the corner of Esplanade in Outremont. HE MELTS THE CHEESE!!

I wonder if he's still open....
Sacrilege! The cheese curds should never be melted!!!!!!

catsnatcher-CDN
May 26th, 2006, 11:47 AM
Oh ya! You gotta try it... I was so addicted to it in highschool, I used to have one a day!

technodoll
May 26th, 2006, 12:26 PM
i had one last week at l'Anecdote (best burger place on the island!), on Rachel & St-Hubert, and they offer curd cheese, or grated emmenthal, or a mix of both - i tried both and ooooooooohmygod, my bf was sitting in front of me and asked if i was ok, and why was i making such a face of divine pleasure, and should he be jealous?? LOL!
ps: just came back from Belle Province and it was VERY satisfying :D

CyberKitten
May 26th, 2006, 12:40 PM
I do not care for poutine but it is very common here- one can even get at McD's (ooooh!) Of course they also have (not very good) lobster rolls there too. My home town has a place known locally as The Poutine Palace (not its real name but noted for its great poutine - my brother eats it when he visits there but as an atheltic guy, he can afford it now and then I guess.) Other than that, it is a heart attack waiting to happen for most ppl!!

KarineB
May 26th, 2006, 12:44 PM
A poutine of course.....and it was a real treat. Really cheese curds, none of that shredded junk....:D

cpietra16
May 26th, 2006, 01:11 PM
poutine is.....the number one food my dog would sneak off the counter:D

Prin
May 26th, 2006, 01:29 PM
Poutine is great comfort food... But some of them (like the one from La belle) have the flour additive that I'm intolerant to. :(

And honestly, I love it when the cheese melts. We buy the st-hubert poutine pouches from the grocery store every now and then and make our own.:)

Stacer
May 26th, 2006, 01:36 PM
Poutine is...I'm not sure. I used to work at Harvey's while in highschool and made tons of poutine, I found it disgusting (mainly because of the congealed, clotted gravy we made), but I have since tried "real poutine" and did not dislike it. My husband could probably live on it. He once drank gravy alone. I was witness.

technodoll
May 26th, 2006, 01:46 PM
My husband could probably live on it. He once drank gravy alone. I was witness.

ROTFLMAO!!! "men" :D (when i was little, my uncle once ate chocolate cake with ketchup on it out of a dare from my dad, can you say drunk and disgusting? LOL)

Joey.E.CockersMommy
May 26th, 2006, 02:31 PM
my kids get hot lunch at school once a week from various places - one of them being Mcdonalds - he informed me yesterday that he dipped his chicken nuggets in his chocolate pudding........but there is a dish called mole chicken and the sauce is made with chocolate sauce - so maybe his taste isnt so bad after all.

I spent a few weeks in Montreal eons ago - I had poutine everyday - think I have maybe had it three times since then :D

jessi76
May 26th, 2006, 02:33 PM
poutine is ..... heartattack in a bowl???

jesse's mommy
May 26th, 2006, 03:17 PM
What is a poutine??

Joey.E.CockersMommy
May 26th, 2006, 03:19 PM
Here is my best description although Poutine is a Quebec and east coast thing and I am from the west coast where Poutine is not as popular. We have it at the food fair at New York fries now

French fries - gravy and cheese curds - I think thats basically it - I seem to remember one with tomato sauce too.

meb999
May 26th, 2006, 03:22 PM
What is a poutine??

It's, like jessi said, a heartattack in a bowl! It's french fries with curd cheese and gravy. It's a Québec specialty.

Poutine is evil...it's wayyyy too addictive!

meb999
May 26th, 2006, 03:23 PM
French fries - gravy and cheese curds - I think thats basically it - I seem to remember one with tomato sauce too.

Ooooo, the one with spagetti sauce is called an italian poutine. That's my alltime favorite!

BMDLuver
May 26th, 2006, 03:23 PM
Poutine is.... applied directly to one's hips on the way down! :D

There's also Michigan Style poutine which is a real heartattack waiting to happen with that fatty hamburger added.. hehehe

catsnatcher-CDN
May 26th, 2006, 03:24 PM
It's named after a Mr. Lachance in Quebec who recently died. He would always order his fries with sauce and cheese curds. The plate is named after him.

No, he did not die of a heart attack but pulmonary disease.

Jesse's mom, if you have never had a poutine , STOP WASTING TIME, get on a plane, come here and get yourself a bowl. You'll never go back.

This is why most people in Quebec don't move away despite the freezing weather and snowstorms. It's for the poutine. :thumbs up

catsnatcher-CDN
May 26th, 2006, 03:26 PM
The man. The legend: Mr. Poutine

The article: http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/story/CTVNews/1076633168163_72042368/?hub=CTVNewsAt11

Puppyluv
May 26th, 2006, 03:27 PM
poutine is..... disgusting to look at, but delicious to eat!
The best places in the city to get them: Patati Patata, Maamm Bolduc, La Banquise, and of course Lafluer in Verdun. If you have not eaten it here, you have not had truly good poutine.
www.montrealpoutine.com

Puppyluv
May 26th, 2006, 03:29 PM
It's named after a Mr. Poutine in Quebec who recently died. He would always order his fries with sauce and cheese curds. The plate is named after him.

:confused: :confused: :confused: Uhh.... "Mr Poutine" was only his nickname.. His name was Fernand Lachance.

catsnatcher-CDN
May 26th, 2006, 03:31 PM
I fixed it after reading the article. I can never remember facts...must be all
that cheese.

Puppyluv
May 26th, 2006, 03:31 PM
What? I could have sworn that used to say "Mr Poutine"... Soo confused right now.
Ahh ok :)

jesse's mommy
May 26th, 2006, 03:36 PM
Ooooohh, that sounds so yummy! It sounds like it's as healthy as an authentic Philly Cheesesteak.

chico2
May 26th, 2006, 03:46 PM
Girls,girls,girls,that stuff looks absolutely disgusting,you eat that?:yuck::D

catsnatcher-CDN
May 26th, 2006, 03:49 PM

I wish. I had lentil soup for lunch :mad:

Luvmypit
May 26th, 2006, 03:52 PM
Ima poutine addict but all your quebecers hog the good ones. I can only get one from KFC, NY fries, Harveys and some small mom and pops but not the real good ones you all have in Quebec.

MMMMMM Cheese curds

Puppyluv
May 26th, 2006, 03:54 PM
* Poutine Itallienne : Uses marianara sauce instead of the Velouté.
* Poutine Bourguinonne : Adds ground beef and fried onions to the Velouté sauce, in Bourgennione style.
* Poutine BBQ : Heated BBQ sauce is poured on.
* Poutine Mole : With a wink, an Oaxacan black mole sauce slathers over the mixture, adding its wonderful smoke and chocolate sweetness.
* Disco Fries : An off-menu item in New Jersey and New York diners, combines a chicken-gravy and shredded cheddar on top a plate of fries. (NOT POUTINE... Note the use of GRAVY and not "Poutine Sauce" or "Velouté")

BMDLuver
May 26th, 2006, 03:58 PM
Where do you get Poutine Mole in Montreal... I think I need some!

Puppyluv
May 26th, 2006, 04:02 PM
Last time I was there, La Banquise had it. (Corner Rachel and Parc LaFontaine.. Perfect because you can pick it up, take it to the park and sit with the doggies, then take them for a good walk!) They have 22 varieties, but some of them rotate, so it's not a deffinate that it will be there, but it is your best chance.

Frenchy
May 26th, 2006, 06:42 PM
I'll be the party pooper here;poutine=one cup of vaseline!:eek: Really!I know,I know,it's sooo good.I stayed 3 months in Vancouver like 10 years ago and was going crazy because I couldn't find any!Do you know they make them with smoked meat too?:yuck: I like the home ones.Or I just buy the cheese curds (fromage en crotte (french term)) and put it in the microwave for a couple of second.That's it,I'M hungry now....But for me,the best poutine of all is in Maskinongé,near Trois-Rivieres.

jiorji
May 26th, 2006, 07:29 PM
.........the food of the gods......enough said :p :cool:

technodoll
May 26th, 2006, 07:35 PM
this site is crazy, LOL! a must-see: http://electron.mit.edu/~gsteele/poutine/

Puppyluv
May 26th, 2006, 08:08 PM
I remember seeing that site while I was doing a "project on poutine" don't ask... My fave is still the "poutine meal deal" (scroll to botom of page)

technodoll
May 26th, 2006, 08:29 PM
so the cigs make it all taste good? lol lol what the heck is that all about! not quebecois that's for sure (too bad). so have you tried the poutine at Rapido, on Mont-Royal corner St-Denis?.... mmmmm.... :D

Joey.E.CockersMommy
May 26th, 2006, 09:15 PM
yes lentil soup with cheese curds in it yum :D

pamha
May 27th, 2006, 01:01 AM
We don`t have poutine here in the middle mid-west, but my hometown is the home of something kind of similar called a horseshoe. Its toast with some sort of meat on top, then fries & cheese sauce. It`s absolutely delicious, but of course very bad for you. Now I`m wanting one and would probably love poutine if it were available here.
Is there an easy recipe for making it at home???

jesse's mommy
May 27th, 2006, 06:55 AM
Is there an easy recipe for making it at home???

Oooooh, good question!

Frenchy
May 27th, 2006, 07:50 AM
Yes we can give you the recipe,for a price......;) soooo easy;french fries,cheese curds and any type of gravy sauce (usually BBQ sauce) and you can add chicken and any kind of meat,spaghetti sauce instead of gravy....I like the original one.

CyberKitten
May 27th, 2006, 12:13 PM
The poutine palace in my home town has a poutine meal deal (prob one at McD too, lol). I hate gravy on my fries - am one of those ppl who has to have the ketchup on the side of my fries so the idea of gravy, cheese (and I know it HAS to be the right cheese for poutine!) with fries is not for me. But it is very popular in the Maritimes - more so in northern NB. The McD poutine does not use real curd cheese (for shame!)

Anyone ever heard Bowser and Blue sing The Night They Invented Poutine? :crazy:

Remember Rick Mercer and PM Poutine - there is a reference to that in Wikipedia:

Poutine in politics

"In an election 2000 segment, Rick Mercer of the television series This Hour Has 22 Minutes convinced then-Governor of Texas George W. Bush that Canada's Prime Minister, Jean Chretien, was named Jean Poutine and that he was supporting Bush's candidacy. A few years later when Bush made his first official visit to Canada, he joked during a speech, "There's a prominent citizen who endorsed me in the 2000 election, and I wanted a chance to finally thank him for that endorsement. I was hoping to meet Jean Poutine." The remark was met with laughter and applause.[1]"

Anyone ever eat poutine rape? (on my laptop, it is hard to do the accent --) In New Brunswick, there is an earlier traditional Acadian dish known as poutine râpée, which is completely different from the "poutine québécoise". The Acadian poutine is a ball of grated and mashed potato, salted, filled with pork in the centre, and boiled. The result is a moist greyish ball about the size of a baseball.

Finally, this page is good: http://electron.mit.edu/~gsteele/poutine/

and here is a gourmet recipe for the stuff:

Traditional Poutine à la Ritz
The Ritz-Carlton-s Executive-Chef Gilles St-Hilaire serves this at home.

35O gr. French fries
20O gr. Canned poutine or BBQ sauce
25O gr. Cheese curds
2 Tomatoes, diced
1/2 teaspoon fresh tarragon, chopped
1 Clove of garlic, minced
1 tablespoon olive oil
A dash of chili, salt and fine ground pepper

Preheat olive oil. Add garlic, tomatoes and tarragon and simmer for 2 minutes. once done, put aside. In a deep bowl, put 100 gr. of cheese and all the French fries. Add the tomato mixture, as well as the rest of the cheese. Add Poutine or BBQ sauce. Sprinkle with a dash of chili, salt and fine ground pepper. To add flavor to the sauce, reduce it by 1/2 and add a few roasted chicken bones while it cooks. Remove the bones before serving.

http://www.avivalasvegas.com/photos/poutine.jpg

Melei'sMom
May 27th, 2006, 01:24 PM

looks can be deciving...if you try it, you will not ask that again. I personally don't like french fries...unless they are part of my poutine! THere are some decent places here to get it, but I am always on the search for better. My hubby gets a laugh whenever I get it at a new place, because I rate it :)

mmmmmmmmmmm...poutine is ... the reason I can't drop the last 20 pounds of baby weight!:p

technodoll
May 29th, 2006, 02:19 PM
so yesterday i tried a poutine at La Banquise, on Rachel / Lafontaine Park, it advertises 15 different kinds, and I just took a regular one... and it was very ordinary, in fact at the bottom of the list of all the poutines i've had so far this year (which is about 5, in 5 different places). the fries were dark brown, tasted cooked in old oil, there was not enough sauce, and the cheese curds were not squeaky-fresh, cold and lumpy. :(
3/10

meggie1425
May 29th, 2006, 06:19 PM
Uhg... i use to work at a KFC in high School... Its the only place ive tried a poutine, but after id eat one i just wanted to roll over and die! they're like a heart attack in a cup!(but thats just like all other fast food!)

Frenchy
May 29th, 2006, 06:26 PM
meggie,I used to live near a KFC....you come home from work and all that you smell is their chicken,when you're hungry and it's right around the corner,let's just say I had my share!Their poutine is good but the gravy is what makes you :sick: afterwords.The thing I hate nowadays is the french fries,restaurants are too leasy,do not peel the potatoes anymore,makes them taste like brown paper.:yuck:

Brat
May 29th, 2006, 06:30 PM
oh...my...god...

I'm on some stupid diet and I would love nothing more than a La Belle Province poutine right now. *cries*

They have the BEST BEST BESTTTTTT poutines!

Frenchy
May 29th, 2006, 06:35 PM
Oh Brat,you need some calcium and there is cheese in poutine.....

Brat
May 29th, 2006, 06:38 PM
Oh Brat,you need some calcium and there is cheese in poutine.....;)

haha...YES, i have not had my full calcium serving today.. A poutine is in order! :p

I wish :( If those fries weren't so incredible greasy and bad for me....*Sigh* I will miss poutine the most.

dtbmnec
May 29th, 2006, 06:48 PM
I likes the poutine....unfortunately there isn't anywhere close by that makes good poutine....

Not that I should care much cuz well I mostly like gravy and the cheese curds rather than the actual fries to go with....lol

I'm strange that way!

Megan

P.S. so far the best poutine I've had has been from New York Fries....all the other places I've been to make it way way too gravyish....not enough cheese...lol picky aren't I?

Brat
May 29th, 2006, 06:58 PM
oooh if you ever come to Quebec, try a poutine at the restaurant La Belle Province. A lot of them will put fries, gravy and cheese, and then another layer of fries gravy and even MORE cheese..it's soooooooo good! :)

I likes the poutine....unfortunately there isn't anywhere close by that makes good poutine....

Not that I should care much cuz well I mostly like gravy and the cheese curds rather than the actual fries to go with....lol

I'm strange that way!

Megan

P.S. so far the best poutine I've had has been from New York Fries....all the other places I've been to make it way way too gravyish....not enough cheese...lol picky aren't I?

technodoll
June 22nd, 2006, 12:08 PM
OK i finally had a poutine at Frite Alors last week (my mission is to try every place at least once in my life, LOL) and it was pretty good, would have been much better if the cheese curds had been room-temp instead of cold-from-the-fridge... the sauce, although very tasty, was not hot enough to melt the cheese and it kinda dragged the whole idea of poutine down. also, VERY salty, and it was hot that day. If i had it there again, i would request them to heat the sauce up first! :thumbs up

lewisw
June 22nd, 2006, 12:13 PM
ROTFLMAO!!! "men" :D (when i was little, my uncle once ate chocolate cake with ketchup on it out of a dare from my dad, can you say drunk and disgusting? LOL)

Hi Five to your hubby !!! I love the gravy on fries and although I don't like poutine I love ff with gravy and who says once the fries are gone we need to through out the sauce !!!!! I love the gravy specially when I mix tons of ketchup in it. Grosses :sick: the heck outof my wife but tastes soooooooo yummy !!!

technodoll
June 22nd, 2006, 12:16 PM
I love the gravy specially when I mix tons of ketchup in it

ooooh i thought i was the only one that loved mixing the two!! :highfive:

lewisw
June 22nd, 2006, 12:23 PM
Wohooooo :highfive: I'm not alone !!!

I'm the guy that they made the expression "Have some fries with your ketchup" if you can still see the fries then I didnt put enough ketchup.

And yes La belle Province has awesome fries.... But then again if I've been working out for a while and my diet has been clean my treat/glutton/splurge treat is to wolf down 5 steamies and a ff w. gravy ...

Ok now I probably gorssed :sick: out the rest of you :)

technodoll
June 22nd, 2006, 12:27 PM
steamies = des roteux!! that's what my grandpa used to call 'em, LOL LOL :D

lewisw
June 22nd, 2006, 12:36 PM
steamies = des roteux!! that's what my grandpa used to call 'em, LOL LOL :D
Whats "des roteux" :angel:

Puppyluv
June 22nd, 2006, 01:44 PM
I inherited my love for ketchup from my dad. He used to put it on EVERYTHING. He still puts it on a lot of stuff, but nowhere near as much as he used to. I always found it funny because he grew up in a uh.... very well off family, and they used to serve the ketchup in little silver serving dishes with tiny silver spoons. I could just picture my dad taking 50 scoops of the ketchup each meal.
I'm like Lewis, if my french fries are not red, there is not enough ketchup on them. Though, I like to mix in a dash of bbq sauce with my ketchup, and a tonne of salt. I'm a salt-a-holic, what can I say. French Fires are my vice, and as much as I hate to admit it, I think McDonalds' are my fave.... Though I haven't been able to eat them since January..... can't wait til next jan!!!

lewisw
June 22nd, 2006, 01:57 PM
I inherited my love for ketchup from my dad. He used to put it on EVERYTHING. He still puts it on a lot of stuff, but nowhere near as much as he used to. I always found it funny because he grew up in a uh.... very well off family, and they used to serve the ketchup in little silver serving dishes with tiny silver spoons. I could just picture my dad taking 50 scoops of the ketchup each meal.
I'm like Lewis, if my french fries are not red, there is not enough ketchup on them. Though, I like to mix in a dash of bbq sauce with my ketchup, and a tonne of salt. I'm a salt-a-holic, what can I say. French Fires are my vice, and as much as I hate to admit it, I think McDonalds' are my fave.... Though I haven't been able to eat them since January..... can't wait til next jan!!!
Have you tried heinz 57 steak sauce with the ketchup and sauce !!! Yummmmmmmm

chico2
June 22nd, 2006, 03:52 PM
Oh no,Ketcup:yuck: poutine:yuck: you guys are certainly no gourmets:D
I am a good cook,often add wine to whatever I am cooking,putting ketcup on anything except burgers is an insult.
I have never in my whole life put ketcup on anything,just very HOT Dijon mustard.

doggy lover
June 22nd, 2006, 03:59 PM
Driving home from the east coast of Quebec one year, my daughter got pizza poutine it was awsome. I can't remember the name of the resturant but it was on the highway coming home.

Puppyluv
June 22nd, 2006, 04:08 PM
LOL chico, I too put a lot of time into cooking, and having been fortunate to eat at most of the best restaurants in the city, have a pretty refined sense of taste. I only put ketchup on my fries and burgers, and when I was a kid, on my KD, but when I use it, I use a lot of it.

glasslass
June 22nd, 2006, 06:15 PM
This is the first time I've heard of Poutine. KFC just came out with a "Mashed Potato Bowl" here. It's a bowl of mashed potatoes, whole kernal corn, crispy chicken nuggets (snack size) and gravy. Seems like they've come up with a way to use up leftovers.

Frenchy
June 22nd, 2006, 07:19 PM
ARGGGG,stop it you guys!Because of this thread,I've been going nuts always thinking about poutine.So,2 weeks ago,I ordered one for lunch (at work) called a restaurant near,coudln't wait,I was sooo hungry.I even called them back to ask them to put the gravy "on the side" so the fries woudln't get yucky.They said ; ok,if it's not too late.Then at noon,I'm waiting and going :crazy: when I'm hungry,I'm not a happy camper.Sure enough,delivery boy was late,I see him in the car talking on his cell,I'm about to go outside,open his car door and steel my poutine.I finally got my lunch,go back to my office,open the bag;no freakin sauce in my poutine.Now I'm loosing it,call back the restaurant,urge them to send me my sauce presto.Wait 15 mins,call back,finally I got my sauce,everything is cold.:mad: But still was sooo good,one of the best I ever ate,but I was so mad at them,I threw out their number,thinking I will never call that place again.But guys,it was sooo good!

technodoll
June 22nd, 2006, 07:27 PM
hee hee - frenchy, it ain't called a craving for nothing! :D and ooooh :evil: i hate it :evil: when restaurants, specially delivery, messes up my order! anyhoo i'm glad you enjoyed it, nonetheless... make sure your next one is piping hot, y'hear? :D

Skryker
June 22nd, 2006, 07:30 PM

Now, I've known lots of people who mix gravy and ketchup, and I can sort of understand it...not a big gravy fan myself. My daughter, however, adds VINEGAR to her fries and gravy-and lots of it. :yuck: Ewwww, gross.

And my niece used to dip dill pickles into ketchup and eat them. Blech!

Puppyluv
June 22nd, 2006, 07:37 PM
And my niece used to dip dill pickles into ketchup and eat them. Blech!

mmmmm dill pickle sliced in half, drizzle of ketchup, drizzle of mustard.. delish!!!

technodoll
June 22nd, 2006, 07:45 PM
mmmmm dill pickle sliced in half, drizzle of ketchup, drizzle of mustard.. delish!!!

well, that,s just a naked hamburger (no meat no bread), LOL!!

Skryker
June 22nd, 2006, 08:58 PM
Ha, you just pointed out what a hypocrite I am. I think nothing of pulling a pickle slice covered in ketchup and mustard out of a hamburger and wolfing it down, but the thought of that cold dill pickle dunked in ketchup-ugh!

technodoll
June 22nd, 2006, 09:24 PM
I think nothing of pulling a pickle slice covered in ketchup and mustard out of a hamburger and wolfing it down, but the thought of that cold dill pickle dunked in ketchup-ugh!

that's because everyone knows, WARM dill pickles slathered with ketchup and mustard are sooo goood! :D :D no seriously, it's all about context... deli meat with fruit? sure, if it's a piece of prociutto-wrapped melon! :o