Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Vomiting Cat

TiffanyLayne
January 3rd, 2004, 06:49 AM
Hi there,

I'm cat-sitting a pair of kitties for a friend during the holidays. They're around 9 months old I think. One has been vomiting for the past few days and I didn't really think twice about it until she started moping around and hiding the other day. I am pretty sure she ate something undigestable, and has a bowel obstruction. She's been vomiting bile and hasn't used the litter box for the past two days as far as I know, plus has a hardness when I feel her tummy. I haven't seen her eat, and I've been trying to make her drink via a syringe. She's been sitting in the bathtub and won't leave, as well, she only hurls if I pick her up. Since these aren't my cats, and I don't have very much experience with this sorta thing, I am not sure whether I should bring her to the vet right away, or if it can wait until my friend is back from her trip, which should be Sunday. I would like to know if the cost to have the cat examined is disgustingly high first off, since I don't really have a tonne of extra cash to spend on this. If anyone could give me a rough idea of what expense I'd be looking at, and what the normal routine is for treating bowel obstructions, I'd appreciate the response.

Thanks! Tiffany

amaruq
January 3rd, 2004, 10:03 AM
Don't waste time get the poor kitty into the vet's ASAP!!!!!!! The poor baby won't survive much longer like this!!!!!

Lucky Rescue
January 3rd, 2004, 11:51 AM
Amaruq is right. If you wait a week, your friend might very well come home to a dead cat.

Get to a vet NOW! This kitty is suffering.

Luba
January 3rd, 2004, 12:37 PM
Ya don't wait, you have the sense to inquire and all of us are telling you. Go to the vet, so pls do.

TiffanyLayne
January 3rd, 2004, 07:18 PM
Thanks for your replies. My friend is home from her trip, so she's coming by to get the kitty today. The cat's actually sitting on my lap of her own free will, as I type, so it seems she's feeling a bit better. She's on her way to the vet pretty soon, so I am very relieved. :cool: Again, thanks for your quick responses!