Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

newborn kitties - stray mother cat

doristhecat
May 26th, 2006, 12:36 AM
I have adopted a stray who is border line feral. She lets me pet her and comes in the house and eats and hangs out, but will not let me hold her and probably never will be a lap cat. It's taken over a year to get her to come inside. She is clearly more happy outside. She just gave birth to 2 kittens in the house. They were born in the house becaues I wouldn't let her out the last few days of the pregnancy. She has only used a cat box 3 times and only because she was desperate. The kitties are 3 days old. The mom is trying desperately to get out of the house. I've been letting her in and out when the kittens are sleeping. She has dragged the kittens up to the front door several times, but when I put the back in the spot she picked in the closet she settled down with them again . Today, however, she climbed up through a jalousie window with a kitten in her mouth. She had escaped through this window previously, so I had shut the bottom jalousie. So she went to the next level up and tried to get out. Luckily I spotted her and was able to retrieve the kitten before she made it outside. She keeps trying to climb out every window with a kitten in her mouth. We need the windows open for ventilation, and they couldn't get through the screen anyway, but I'm so worried she'll hurt the kittens. I'm at my wits end. Any suggestions?Also, one kitten is quite a bit smaller than the other. They both chose front tits so they battle over positioning and the little little guy ends up missing meals. Should I supplement with KRM?

CyberKitten
May 26th, 2006, 03:39 AM
I know it's tough to contain a feral cat but that may be your best option. Also, you might want to supplement the feedings for the kitten who is not getting his share with specialized milk you can get from your vet or a pet store. You may have to bottle feed him to ensure he gets nutrients. Keep mama well fed too so she is healthy for her babies - and have her spayed asap because she can go into heat very soon again!!!