Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Mold Allergies

rainbow
May 25th, 2006, 09:40 PM
Do You Have Mold Allergies?



Check the date on your Pancake mix as well as others such as Bisquick, cake mixes, etc.....

This is is real and you can check for yourself at: www.snopes.com/medical/toxins/pancake.asp

Those with allergies beware!


I recently made a batch of pancakes for my healthy 14-year-old son, using a mix that was in our pantry. He said that they tasted "funny," but ate them anyway. About 10 minutes later, he began having difficulty breathing and his lips began turning purple. I gave him his allergy pill, had him sit on the sofa and told him to relax. He was wheezing while inhaling and exhaling. My husband, a olunteer firefighter and EMT, heated up some water, and we had my son lean over the water so the steam could clear his chest and sinuses. Soon, his breathing became more regular and his lips returned to a more normal color. We checked the date on the box of Pancake mix and, to my dismay, found it was very outdated.

As a reference librarian at an academic institution, I have the ability to search through many research databases. I did just that, and found an article the next day that mentioned a 19-year-old male DYING after eating pancakes made with outdated mix. Apparently, the mold that forms in old pancake mix can be toxic! When we told our friends about my son's close call, we were surprised at the number of people who mentioned that they should check their own pancake mix since they don't use it often, or they had purchased it some time ago. With so many people shopping at
warehouse-type stores and buying large sizes of pancake mix, I hope your readers will take the time to check the expiration date on their boxes. Also, beware of outdated cake, brownie and cookie mixes.

Prin
May 25th, 2006, 11:11 PM
Good to know. I rarely eat bisquick, which means it sits in the cupboard for ages... :o