Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

How many treat boxes in your kitchen?

mafiaprincess
May 25th, 2006, 10:08 PM
Is it me, or are treats too easy to buy because they are cheap?
Go to a petstore to look, need 'something' get more treats..

How many are in your kitchen?

I think I've got an outrageous 9 right now.. with a few that are almost gone thank goodness..

mummummum
May 25th, 2006, 11:09 PM
Most of the time I make my own both because I worry about what's in the store bought ones and because it's hugely less expensive. Of course, I NEVER over-indulge my little hounds. They NEVER get treats just for being cute and certainly NEVER for doing what they should be doing anyway...:crazy:

Prin
May 25th, 2006, 11:59 PM
I have one pretty big glass snowman full of cookies (transparent). My doggies can only get a couple of different kinds (all from Northern Biscuit), so there isn't much fun in it anymore. :rolleyes: But I do like my snowman. The lid is his hat.

Puppyluv
May 26th, 2006, 12:14 AM
treats cheap? Damn, my boxes cost $25 a box. I have treats right now: omh peanut butter and apples, a jumbo bag of greenies and "three dog bakery" "kitty cookies" (cat shaped cookies)

Cinnabear
May 26th, 2006, 01:18 AM
1 box specifically for dogs and its in a jar that when you open the the lid, it either plays hound dog or who let the dogs out. Then in kitchen there is the carrots and sometimes small pieces of meat. They usually get 1 jar treat and then whenever for carrots.

Lise
May 26th, 2006, 08:45 AM
I have a bag of freeze dried liver that they love,cheap it's thirty dollars for a bag!

BMDLuver
May 26th, 2006, 09:32 AM
We have a smorgasborg of wonderful healthy, no preservative, no color treats for our guys but I must say they are not cheap. But hey, they are worth it.

jessi76
May 26th, 2006, 09:52 AM
I have the singing kitty-treat jar, when you lift the head up it plays songs... "what's new pussycat...whoaaaa-ohhh-ohhhhhh" then it plays "Stray cat strut...." my cats KNOW when they hear these songs, it means treat-time! it works well for calling them in from the garden too. as soon as I open that jar, BOTH cats are at my feet. it's great.

Then I have 3 jars for dog treats. One for big biscuits, one for small biscuits, and one for training treats.

The I have a big basket full of the miscellaneous bags, for those treats that won't fit into the jars.

technodoll
May 26th, 2006, 10:17 AM
not sure, at the moment let's see... a winnie-the-pooh tin box of Milk Bones (their favorite), a bag of crunchy holistic liver cookies (not their favorite so getting stale), a big bag of dehydrated liver bits for training only, a pack of dried apricots, a ziplock of old dates for chewies, whole-wheat bagels in the freezer... that's about it. they are spoiled enough with their dinners as it is, LOL! :o

meb999
May 26th, 2006, 12:18 PM
wayyyyyyyyyyyy too many!

HunterXHunter
May 26th, 2006, 12:36 PM
Milkbones, freeze dried liver, 2 boxes of these heathy dog treats (forgot what they were called, but they're in an orange box), and those chewy pork ear things...

They NEVER get treats just for being cute

I don't get it...how do you resist? I find myself leaving for work in the morning and saying goodbye to Hunter, and because he knows I'm not taking him with me, he looks at me with these sad puppy eyes and I find myself running back into the house to grab him a treat and then saying goodbye again

Frenchy
May 26th, 2006, 12:38 PM
I only have 3 different types of treats (poor dogs!) but they get bananas and carots everyday.At first,the carots were not a hit,but now they get as excited about them as if it was real doggie treats.:D,oh,I forgot,they SOMETIMES get peanut butter toast,my mom started it while visiting....

PetFriendly
May 26th, 2006, 12:59 PM
For the stinky treats (that we used at Obedience Classes or if he's aprticularly good), Charley has Bil-Jak liver treats, Puperoni and Beggin Strips. For healthy stuff (that I use outside of class and throughout the day) he has dehydrated liver, and Performatrin Salmon & Rice and dehydrated strips of chicken breast. All of which are kept in various zip-lock bags because they go stale before he can eat all that and he only likes his stuff when its still fresh!

Plus there's a wooden orange box full of various kinds of raw hide, basted, shredded, plain, rolled, flat, all of which are two to three sizes too big for him so he can't swallow any as easily. He gets these if I need to keep him busy or if we're going for a long car ride.

technodoll
May 26th, 2006, 01:48 PM
Puperoni and Beggin Strips

sorry for the brief hijack here, but i personally really wouldn't feed that stuff to any dog, it's chock-full of carcinogenic preservatives, sugar, salt, artificial colors & flavors, soy... even in small amounts it adds up over the life of a pet... really, organic dehydrated liver bits are hard to resist by any dog for training purposes, they are excellent... just my opinion. :)

pupparoni ingredients: Beef, wheat flour, soy flour, corn syrup, soybean meal, corn starch, wheat gluten, propylene glycol, salt, water sufficient for processing, calcium sulfate, phosphoric acid, potassium sorbate (used as a preservative), caramel color, natural smoke flavor, garlic powder, onion powder, BHA (used as a preservative), red 40

mafiaprincess
May 26th, 2006, 02:38 PM
I sort of dig. For the most part our kitchen is down to far healthier treats.. But for a time there were less healthy ones.

After going through a myriad of treats and people food we are using beggin strips at agility. Not my choice by any means.. But I need my dog to work for that hour, and nothing else was keeping her attention. But that's like 3/4 of a strip per class for working her bum off, and she doesn't get to even look at them any other time. And it's working. Even though that rule and other food wasn't doing anything. Picky pooch.

cpietra16
May 26th, 2006, 03:54 PM
a jumbo bag of greenies ...weren't these treats considered dangerous to dogs...or am I thinking of something else?
I remember reading something about "greenies" and how they don't breakdown fast enough....:confused:

jessi76
May 26th, 2006, 03:58 PM
no, you're right. There were a few articles and news stories on Greenies.

mafiaprincess
May 26th, 2006, 04:14 PM
Most of it was choking deaths though, which brought it back to, it's your fault as an owner not watching your dog with any large treat. That, and many people were feeding the wrong size. 10 pound dogs dying when greenies recommends the chips for one so small.

Some cases were blockages from large pieces, but if you know your dog swallows rather than chews.. you shouldn't give it to them.

Joey.E.CockersMommy
May 26th, 2006, 04:23 PM
Joey has solid Gold Cinnabone biscuts -

http://www.solidgoldhealth.com/products/showproduct.php?id=16&code=331

and this doggie peanut butter that comes in an aerosol

Joey also thinks any fruits or veggies are a great treat too and any raw meat the you bring home from the grocery store too.

mafiaprincess
May 26th, 2006, 07:57 PM
And make that like 10 now.. Had to have freeze dried liver.. never seen it in a store before, only at our old vet's office in her treat jar.

Not cool enough to have 10 jars though.. couple of bags.. a ziploc, a treat jar, an ice cream bucket, lol.

muckypup
May 26th, 2006, 11:09 PM
I usually just have one bag of treats going at a time. I like to bake my own too. I like Innova Health Bars or California Natural, I get a 4lb bag for $15.99 and Innova EVO treats 567g bag for $11.99. I always have a bag of baby carrots that I share with them and I use the Nature's Balance rolls for tracking. My dogs get a treat when I go out, for the crate, and one or two treats for a bed time snack. They love treats!

Bushfire2000
May 26th, 2006, 11:21 PM
One bag in Kitchen. Two bags hidden in my bedroom, one bag in son's room and four cases in the studio. ;)

Puppyluv
May 26th, 2006, 11:25 PM
One bag in Kitchen. Two bags hidden in my bedroom, one bag in son's room and four cases in the studio. ;)
LOL sounds like my house during girl guide cookie season:D

Bushfire2000
May 26th, 2006, 11:44 PM
Want to buy a case I'll give you a good deal...?;) ;)
I work for an auction company and at one of our sales they had dog treats, I bought them for a good price. The people thought I would only take one or two cases and they would be able to buy them a litlte cheaper the next go round but I took them all. Got them for less than 1/2 store price. There were about 12 cases to start with. Doggie birthday presents, sent some across country to relatives at christmas in goodie baskets.:) along with the people goodies.

Prin
May 27th, 2006, 07:38 PM
Joey has solid Gold Cinnabone biscuts -

http://www.solidgoldhealth.com/products/showproduct.php?id=16&code=331

and this doggie peanut butter that comes in an aerosol

Joey also thinks any fruits or veggies are a great treat too and any raw meat the you bring home from the grocery store too.
ooo I haven't checked their cookie section in a while- lookin' good! :)

mummummum
May 27th, 2006, 08:42 PM
Milkbones, freeze dried liver, 2 boxes of these heathy dog treats (forgot what they were called, but they're in an orange box), and those chewy pork ear things...

I don't get it...how do you resist? I find myself leaving for work in the morning and saying goodbye to Hunter, and because he knows I'm not taking him with me, he looks at me with these sad puppy eyes and I find myself running back into the house to grab him a treat and then saying goodbye again

Oops - guess my tongue wasn't firmly planted in my cheek quite enough. My dawgies are TOTAL treat-trolls.

JessXx
May 27th, 2006, 08:43 PM
Wow... nine... thats a lot... me, I think we've got the birds with three the cat with 2 and the dogs with 2.... Still a lot of treats... ;)

mummummum
May 27th, 2006, 08:47 PM
Slight hijack with :sorry: - Does anyone dehydrate their own liver treats? I've tried the boil and slow bake method without much success and am thinking of getting a dehydrator. Raw stewing beef chunks are always in my fridge, baked cookies by the door, carrots etc in the fridge and of course there's always Mum's popcorn leftovers to be had. In fact HunterxHunter I had to laugh when I saw your post about "How do you resist?". The monsters get a treat for coming along to the store to GET treats.

PetFriendly
May 29th, 2006, 01:05 PM
sorry for the brief hijack here, but i personally really wouldn't feed that stuff to any dog, it's chock-full of carcinogenic preservatives, sugar, salt, artificial colors & flavors, soy... even in small amounts it adds up over the life of a pet... really, organic dehydrated liver bits are hard to resist by any dog for training purposes, they are excellent... just my opinion. :)

One could say the same thing about lots of the food we humans eat, or being around smokers, walking beside a very busy public street etc. Since the dog is so small, he would probably only get the equivalent of 1/2 of one of each per week when we're in classes.
Everything in moderation is my motto. 'Organic' is not a descriptor I pay extra for. Don't mean to offend anyone, but its not much different that anything that isn't labeled organic, its just a branding thing to make you pay extra IMO.
I've found that the healthy stuff just doesn't smell enough to get his attention when practicing things like 'Leave it' where I need him to look up at me.

dtbmnec
May 29th, 2006, 01:31 PM
I was told that I wasn't supposed to give my kitten treats until he hits about 6 months or so.

So right now no treats....and I'm not even sure what kinda treats to get him!

Megan

mafiaprincess
May 29th, 2006, 01:32 PM
That's just it petfriendly.. Even hotdogs weren't keeping attention at agility. Went to walmart and found something smelly enough she'd paw the bag. Not big on liking the beggin strips.. but they keep her attention and by the end of class she's eaten like a half of one.

PetFriendly
May 29th, 2006, 05:20 PM
Slight hijack with :sorry: - Does anyone dehydrate their own liver treats? I've tried the boil and slow bake method without much success and am thinking of getting a dehydrator.

I've tried it with a dehydrotar and found that those treats weren't as easy to break into small pieces as the ones you buy, plus, for $6 for a large sized bag that lasts me a month, its not worth the hassle to do it myself ;) .