Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Pet first aid kit

mafiaprincess
May 25th, 2006, 09:56 PM
I searched some, and couldn't get really the answer..

I've seen pet first aid kits online.. but I'd rather put together my own.

What is everyone's thoughts on what should go in it to make it failrly complete?

We plan on hiking more when this rain dries out, and camping in the states some, and I'd like to make sure I cover the bases.

mummummum
May 25th, 2006, 10:42 PM
I would suggest:
makeup remover pads, cotton swabs, gauze roll, elasticized bandage with clips, a couple of maxi-pads (yes, "sanitary napkins"), ball-tip scissors, styptic powder, professional tweezers, dog's nail clippers, 3% hydrogen peroxide, ipecac, liquid activated charcoal, mineral oil, saline solution, antibiotic ointment, large syringe, medicine dropper, Euphrasia (homepathic aka "Eyebright"), small bottle of distilled water, instant heat and cold packs, digital thermometer, duct tape, wide tooth comb, small bowl/ wide cup, a thick magazine or splint board. Oh, I almost forgot - the kitchen sink.

I buy traveller's mini-bottles at my "sales" and use business labels for everything. Believe it or not - it all fits in my extra large hip back.

mafiaprincess
May 25th, 2006, 10:49 PM
Oh it sounds all professional. *comes to mummummum's house to get help making her's all snazzy* lol

mummummum
May 25th, 2006, 11:02 PM
Ya well... as I keep telling everyone - I don't need to go to a gym - I have THREE dawgies!! But you are right to DYI - far, far less expensive and more durable. And, if you get a proper pack much easier to tote around! Though I am looking longingly at those panier's of Prin's from Outward Hound. I woder how much weight they can handle - hopefully something similar will be "on sale" at Woofstock.

mafiaprincess
May 25th, 2006, 11:06 PM
I'm hoping for a doggie backpack that's prettier or cheaper at woofstock, so I dig, lol.

Well I want to DIY partly because I want to know I have everything/ what I have I can use.. not just random stuff, you know?

Just yours sound so pro, you could make them in bulk and sell them, lol.

Prin
May 25th, 2006, 11:58 PM
Instead of peroxide, I'd get proviodine wipes (unless the peroxide is to induce vomiting...).

I'd also add at least 2 pairs of latex/vinyl gloves, and along with regular gauze, I'd get the non-stick ones. I love those. You can cover up scrapes and cuts with them and they don't stick as the scab forms (as much, anyway).

I'd also stick in a roll of athletic tape- not the elastic one (although you should have that too), but the one they use on hockey sticks and stuff. It's good all-purpose tape for splinting, etc.

The kit I have (I got it from here- that's how I originally found this site a long time ago) also has a little pouch of doggy-gatorade (electrolyte and glucose rehydration thing), corn starch and eye patches.