Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Dog Is Coughing...hacking

Gordon Marrs
May 25th, 2006, 03:51 PM
My 6yr Old Shidzu-lasha-x Woke Up This Am With A Cough. I Thought She May Upchuck So Put Her Outside. She Continued(es) To Cough But Is Able To Eat And Drink. I Have Stuck My Finger Down Her Throat And Am About To Make An Appointment With A Vet But Thought I Would Throw This Out To The Forum In Case This Is Somewhat Recognized By You. It Is A Very Pronounced Hacking Cough.

Gord

jessi76
May 25th, 2006, 03:58 PM
definately get in to see your vet. could be a number of things, but when my dog had a hacking cough, it was kennel cough. (sounds like a goose-honk type of cough). let us know how the vet visit goes. we can probably be more helpfull after you have a diagnosis from a professional.

sways_bodyguard
May 25th, 2006, 04:12 PM
yea, it definately sounds like kennel cough...
and if diagnosed, the meds ur vet will give will get rid of it within a few days...
sometimes it just runs its course and goes away without meds, but i would still see the vet just to make sure that is the diagnosis

Dog Dancer
May 25th, 2006, 04:34 PM
We needed four differenty types of antibiotics to cure our dogs kennel cough, and it took some time as hers was quite resistant. But a vet trip is a must. If left while it could cure itself, it could also lead to lesions on the lungs and permanent damage.

BusterBoo
May 25th, 2006, 05:33 PM
Besides Kennel Cough, there is also blastomycosis which can start as a cough as it is fungal infection in the lungs. Other symptoms are loss of weight, loss of appetite, high fever and very lethargic. Blasto is not a common sickness and is very often overlooked by Vets.

My dog was diagnosed in January and with proper medication ($$$$$) and treatment pulled through....however we found out today that he may have a relapse that has shown itself as a lesion on his head.

Any cough is very serious, hope you find out what the problem is.

Gordon Marrs
May 25th, 2006, 09:07 PM
THE VET COULD NOT PINPOINT ANYTHING AND SHE(DOG) GAVE A GREAT DEMONTRATION HACKING AND COUGHING. IF NOT BETTER BY SUN/MON WE ARE TO RETURN. BTB.....WE WERE PUT INTO A EXAMING ROOM AS SOON AS WE ARRIVED AND 45 MINS LATER (I AM RATHER PATIENT) I ASKED IF THEY NEW WE WERE WAITING.....THEY:mad: FORGOT US!!!!!!FREE EXAM PLUS I MADE THE VET DO HER ANAL GLANDS....WE WILL NEVER GO BACK. PS THANX TO ALL THOSE WHO OFFERED THEIR HELP AND IS THIS THE CORRECT PLACE TO POST OUR OUTCOME?

rainbow
May 25th, 2006, 10:03 PM
Hmmmm.....I think I would try a different vet. And, yes, please post your results here. :pawprint:

Gordon Marrs
May 27th, 2006, 12:00 PM
After my "prolonged" visit to the vet on Thursday and with the advice to 'let it run its course', Scooter had two very mild sessions during the night and only one or two major coughs Friday. She slept well again Friday nite and just has had periodic light coughing events so far today...when she gets excited especially.....I rub her belly and this seems to alay further spells. Thanks to all who took an interest...hopefully, you are able to find relief for your pet:) through these forums.

gord

DRN
May 29th, 2006, 03:10 PM
I'm late to this discussion but you might ask your vet to screen your pet for allergies and asthma. A dry hacking cough can be a symptom of asthma or reactive airway disorder (another name for asthma that is seasonal or periodic in nature). Basically, your pet could be allergic and it manifests as swelling in the bronchial area. Like humans, your pet would have a dry hacking cough that is especially bad at night.