Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

excessive drooling

JKnisley
May 25th, 2006, 10:34 AM
I have a 2 yr old "pound hound" that drools excessively when left in her crate. Even if left for only a brief time I come home and she is soaking wet. Any ideas on cause and/or solution? She doesn't drool at all when not in crate.

jessi76
May 25th, 2006, 10:43 AM
welcome. sounds like anxiety to me.

Type of hound? mix? how long is she crated at a time? Have you tried gating her into an area instead of crating? or is she house destructive? Do you leave her a KONG or something similar when she's crated?

Lucky Rescue
May 25th, 2006, 10:46 AM
That is anxiety. She's fearful in her crate. She may have lived in a cage before you got her, or she's afraid you're not coming back, a common fear in dogs who have been abandoned.

Could you try leaving her in a gated area, like kitchen or bathroom to see if that helps?

If not, and having you leave is the source of her fear, then you need to work on her separation anxiety.

Here is the most common treatment for this and you can find more helpful tips by going to Google and typing in Separation Anxiety:

"Presently, the most accepted method for treating separation anxiety involves planned departures. This method involves gradually adjusting the dog to being alone by exposure to many short departures.

Because the stress response occurs very shortly after the owner's departure (within 30 minutes), the dog should only be left alone for very short intervals at first (seconds to minutes) to ensure the owner returns before the onset of anxiety. Before the departure period can be increased, the owner must be certain that the dog is not stressed.

The owner must closely watch the dog for signs of anxiety and ensure that the dog does not engage in an extended greeting. After the short departures have reached the 30 minute mark, the length of time the dog is left can be increased by larger increments. Once the dog can be left alone for 1.5 hours, it can usually be left all day.

Departure and return should be made as quiet and uneventful as possible to avoid overstimulating the dog. The dog should not be given attention prior to departures nor given attention and praise upon returns. Excessive attention prior to departure and upon return seem to increase the anxiety during separation and it does NOT make it easier on the dog as most people suspect. Safety cues may also be used to associate with the short departures (Voith and Borchelt 1985). The T.V. or radio can be left on or an acceptable chew toy may be provided for the dog. However, it is very important that the safety cue is not an item that the dog already associates with anxiety. These cues help the dog relate to a previous safe period of isolation."

*jessi, we posted at the same time*;)

meb999
May 25th, 2006, 11:16 AM
what Lucky said ;)

Buster hads seperation anxiety and HATED his crate (drooling wasn't the only thing he liked to do in ther :yuck: ). I found that feeding him in his crate helped (he strats associating the crate with pleasant things. Also, whenever he goes in there by himself, he gets a cookie.