Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

I dont know what i wanna be when i grow up?

erykah1310
May 24th, 2006, 11:32 PM
Hi, everyone, me again with issues!LOL
I want to go back to school this fall but i have no idea what to do?
Around here there isnt much opportunity for someone with out an education, and im tired of having jobs, i want a career!!!!
I cant work in an office, way to slow paced for me! I like to be on the move and preferably outside, regardless of weather. THats why construction is good for me but its not year round and makes it hard to plan appropriately, basically im tired of being a chipmunk ( work all summer and store your money to survive the winter)
I am high energy, happy go lucky for the most part, like the outdoors, like animals ( of course) and well thats me in a nut shell!! Now for the negative things and im gonna be honest here. I have a short fuse ( which i can handle when the time is right) , I have no patience for "stupid" ppl ( by that I more or less mean ignorant) , I have a hard time staying in one place for long.
I know that really there is no "dream" job out there for someone like me! HOwever I can work on my faults, not a problem there, at least i can admit to them right, thats a step in the right direction!
Anyway to the point, after reading that, any suggestions what i should go to school for??? LOL
I know I sound like a bit of a psycho but really im not:angel: :D :o

Puppyluv
May 24th, 2006, 11:40 PM
What about becoming a certified trainer? It would meet most, if not all of your criteria, though you'll have to work youre arse off to make money.

LOL, short fuse eh? I hear you on that one. Funny though, two things helped me uhh "lengthen" my fuse.... (i know that made NO sense whatsoever) 1) working with kids and 2) working at Starbucks (thats right people, if I actually knew what any of you montrealers looked like, i could get you your free caffeine and or sugar fix) Some of the people I serve are soo.. ok no, I don't want to incriminate myself here... let's just say that the neighbourhood I work in (not the same as the one in which I live) has some VERY particular people, and Starbucks caters to a VERY particular crowd. So you take the pickiest of the pickiest and what do you get? Either an explosion 15 times a day, or an increased tolerance to ridiculous people.

If it makes you feel any better, I'm at a total loss as for what to do with my life.. I keep telling my parents that I'll just work at Starbucks for the rest of my life... the stares I get in response don't seem so positive...

Rick C
May 25th, 2006, 12:02 AM
Women are definitely working construction trades in Alberta due to a shortage of guys . . . . . that's probably going to continue for a long time.

There's a shortage of nurses in Alberta and local university courses are packed. New hospitals are opening.

Sounds like you could be a forest ranger in our mountain parks. Could be a career.

When I was out hiking with Abby and Keeper on the weekend, we came across a lady "outfitter" with a couple of female clients leading a pack train of horses out into the mountain back country. All female crew.

Zoologist?!!

Thoughts off the top of my head. . . . .

Abby lets a cowgirl go by on the trail on Saturday:

http://www.goldentales.ca/04840069_edited-1.jpg

Rick C
www.goldentales.ca

Rick C
nm - double post

erykah1310
Aurghh! my internet is soooo screwy here!!! Anyway,
For my lack of patience, ummmmmm.... Flagging doesnt help!!! :evil:
It took all i had sometimes to not go to the car and drag the ******* outta his car who was honking religiously to make me change the sign and kick his a$$!!!!! Or throw my sign at someone or god only knows what went through my mind somedays!!!
A trainer would be good, but there are soooo many around here and well myself i live in a rural area and no one out here really brings their dogs to "school" I didnt, Meik did level one but his trainer was a b**** and well i had better luck with him working with him myself! (he is dog aggressive)
I was thinking a few years back of moving to Barrie and opening up a doggy daycare there, but had no luck finding a nice place i liked. Then i found this place in my home town and IM IN LOVE!! LOL

Copper'sMom
May 25th, 2006, 01:10 AM
When I grow up, I want to be tall(er)!!!:p LOL

Erykah, we are so muck alike(again)!! I never found any schooling that interested me which would pay $$ to cover the bills and have a little left over. My plan, is to marry rich!!!:thumbs up ha ha ha I wish!!

My ultimate career goal one day, is to own my own business - a doggy daycare/boarding kennel with something extra but I can't say so ppl don't steal my idea!!!! Until I can acheive this, I will be stuck at a JOB, but one day, it'll all be worth it!!;)

How about a franchise owner..........say like Tim Hortons?? Oh wait, you don't like to deal with certain ppl. Like puppyluv said though, you'll gain tolerance for ridiculous ppl;) It's true!!!!!

How about, having a job AND having something of your own business on the side?? It could be a start!

CyberKitten
May 25th, 2006, 04:45 AM
How about firefighting or an EMT? Lots of action - though there are quiet times - or as someone already suggested, nursing or even medicine (never a dull moment there, let me tell you!) There are also many allied health professions like lab tech, pharmacist, physiotherapist, speech pathology, etc, etc. Some of those careers need ppl with entrepreneurial skills if you like to be run your own business (ex - running a physio clinic or pharmacy).

And certainly, we hear every day the need for more tradespeople of every kind.

We need more nurses and lab techs and pharmacists!! And doctors too of course, <g>

Good luck on your choice.

SarahLynn123
May 25th, 2006, 09:11 AM
This may sound wierd, but what about a truck driver! You can do long haul trucking, see all of Canada and the States, and bring your dog with you. If you dont have a dog, you can get one! You dont have to deal with people all the time, just when you pick up and drop off and you can really make good money has there is a huge shortage right now.

poodletalk
May 25th, 2006, 09:27 AM
Become a pet sitter and dogwalker-My dogwalker makes 18$ an hour, she's on the go from 7:00am-10:00 pm.

doggy lover
May 25th, 2006, 09:31 AM
I always wanted to be a vet, if I could change my profession now it would have something to do with taking care of animals. I work for people and they are so demanding, animals are not, well unless your Tucker waiting for your ball to be thrown.

phoenix
May 25th, 2006, 11:08 AM
Pretty open ended in theory huh? But in reality, not so much. How much education do you currently have? Can you honestly evaluate your study habits and abilities... are you suited to a university program or college program or a training program? Only you can answer these questions (and the will to do it goes a long way!)
To make this become a reality for you, you need to honestly evaluate the time, money, and your own abilities before you make this decision.
I should be the poster woman for education, but honestly it is not for everyone and the jobs you seem to be attracted to (outside, lots of change/movement, etc) are not necessarily ones that you need a lot of school for... maybe a training program. I can't tell you how many people that I know that graduated from a biology/zoology type program at University, didn't have the marks for vet/med, and couldn't find a job afterwards. Some became teachers (me...), some went to college for a more practical job oriented program.
What about a Natural Resources program at a community college? Land survey, fish stock, forestry...?
Also, you would be looking into most of these schools for fall 2007... it is too late for registration now for univ/colleges. Maybe some business schools allow for late registration tho...

Frenchy
May 25th, 2006, 11:43 AM
Erykah;sometimes it"s good to have a short fuse!The big boss here calls me the "pitbull" and ask ME to put pressure on MY boss when he thinks things are too slow!So don't worry,you just have to find a job that needs your short fuse!;)

erykah1310
May 25th, 2006, 12:10 PM
Land survey, fish stock, forestry...?

Funny you say that, I have 2 years experience with land survey and layout for contsruction too. My dad kinda took me under his wing a few years ago and i loved it!!! We did an OLS ( ontario Land survey) of our municipal dump:yuck: it was great but i didnt sleep well for the whole duration of the job. I have a debilitating fear of bears:eek: Seriously!!!! I was on the 4wheeler while he was cutting a trail and i looked to my left and saw a frequently travelled bear trail. I PANICKED!!! Grabbed the rifle and bear mace and started walking towards my dad! ( dont ask why i didnt just stay on the bike???) I scared the BEJEZZERS outta him when he turned around! He started LAUGHING at me to the point that he couldnt breathe properly anymore! I had no bullets in the rifle so he asked if i was going to tap the bear on the nose with it or what??? (never have i shot a gun EVER) Just a funny story! Back on topic now !!!
If i could just take a surveying course i would in a heart beat, but i have to take the full engeneering course!! ( I just might though theres good money to be made there)

always wanted to be a vet, if I could change my profession now it would have something to do with taking care of animals

Same here but when i went to college ( Environmenta Protection Technician) I wasnt aware that there was so much chemistry involved!!! I tried!!! I honestly lived in my profs office getting some tutoring!
She even said that I had NO comprehension of it!!
I swear you may as well flash lights and beep perhaps i could grasp it better!! LOL
I have to avoid chemistry at all costs!!! So no Vet or Vet tech for me:o

meb999
May 25th, 2006, 12:17 PM
I don't have any advice for you...just wanted to let you know that you aren't alone. It took me FOREVER to finally figure what I want to do with my life.
I studied:
- art (creative arts to be precise...that's like film production and stuff)
- teaching english as a second languages (then they put me in a classroom, and I realised that teachers are wonderfull, and I didn't cut it :o )
- pure and applied science (I wanted to be a vet...but I can't figure math out...)
- Photography (I worked as a photographer for a year)

and I finally went back to school in law. I've never seen myself as an office-type worker, but I've kinda grown into it. I just finished my bachelors, and I love it!
So basically, the moral of the story...is...ummmmm....keep lookin'!! you'll figure it out sooner or later :D

SarahLynn123
May 25th, 2006, 12:49 PM
Im in the land surveying industry and there is a lot of money to be made, and not enough people to make it!!!

If you were to relocate to Calgary, you could start working immediatly as a rodman and within a year or two work your way up to party cheif. We desperatly need people in this field, so bad so that they will do on the job training. I dont know much about Ontario though.

You could do a 2 year geomatics program at a technical college and become a party cheif quicker, if you go to university I believe its 4 years plus 2 years in the field and you become a land surveyor. That is an office job though!!!!!

wdawson
May 25th, 2006, 03:31 PM
all you need to do is figure out how to be born again.....no this is not a religous rant.......come back as a dog...outside all the time,fed,watered and sleep.......ever see a dog try to figure out what he wants to do in life........lol

Prin
May 25th, 2006, 08:10 PM
Land surveying is pretty seasonal too. My man is a surveyor and has been off the job since late Jan. When the govts change, the jobs get cancelled with the new budget and times get tough for a while. *shrugs*

There is also a pretty low ceiling on surveying. If you aren't an engineer, and you are ambitious, you'll hit your peak in about 4 years and the only way up from there is to struggle through opening your own company.

What about athletic therapy or physiotherapy? As an AT, you can work with many different sports teams and travel all over, while having a clinic where you live for stability. You have to be able to pick up anatomy really quickly though.

Otherwise, what about renovations? My bro used to build sets for movies and when it died in the winter, he started renovating houses and now he works ALL the time. Every day is different and demanding...

Just a couple of suggestions... I don't know what I'm going to do either.:o

mafiaprincess
May 25th, 2006, 08:30 PM
I dig too.
I have an honours BA in theatre.. What did I learn? Theatre told me I could be an astronaunt and a ballerina, and a teacher, and a and a ....

I miss the theatre, but I don't. School made me hate it..
I now am a certified ski instructor, I've done construction.

I'm over educated for a lot of 'crap' jobs to even just pass the time..

I applied to be a ski patroller this upcomign winter, as well as teaching, but 4 months doesn't fill my year.

I think emt is something I'd like, but then I'd have to fix some of my HS, and soem of it I am not sure I can fix, and even then what if you the aren't accepted...

I fully get where you are..

Stacer
May 26th, 2006, 10:31 PM
A couple people have mentioned Forestry. It just so happens that I am in forestry (in Toronto no less!!) It is a perfect outdoors job. In the summer months I grow trees for restoration projects within the GTA, and in the winter I conduct forest inventories on tracts of land owned by my organization. Outdoor all year round, physically active and I don't have to worry about too many people, so having a short fuse wouldn't be too much of an issue. I went to Sir Sandford Fleming College in Lindsay ON, a really good natural resources school. It sounds like you're in northern ontario? There's lots of forestry up that way. My hubby is in forestry as well. We both love it.