Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

How common is tape worm in dogs?

PetFriendly
May 24th, 2006, 07:41 PM
Does anyone know how common tape worm is in dogs? Cats most often get tape worm from killing/eating mice, rats and birds I think. So if my dog can't kill anything because he's too small and clumsy and isn't prone to eating dead things (we've past some, he's shown interest but that's about it) is it something I should worry about?
I'm just thinking that if its cause for concern I might look into a heartworm/flea prevention that also covers tape worm, if it isn't a problem then I'll stick with Revolution.
Anyway, let me know what you think...

Lucky Rescue
May 24th, 2006, 08:33 PM
Dogs don't need to eat animals to get tapeworms.

Tapeworm eggs are carried by fleas, and if an animal licks itself and swallows a flea, it will get tapeworms. Flea prevention is usually good for tapeworm prevention as well.

Tapeworms in a healthy adult animal are no cause for panic or worry, since tapeworms do not harm their hosts, unless the animal is very young, old or sickly and has a large load of them.

Mostly, they are just gross.:yuck:

Suzan
May 24th, 2006, 09:48 PM
Tapeworms are not unusual in dogs.
Suzan

PetFriendly
May 25th, 2006, 06:15 PM
He's never had tape worms and I imagine it would take me a while to see evidence of them as his fur is really long and white :eek: . I had totally forgotten about the flea issue.
So if they are pretty much harmless in a healthy animal, which Charley is, its not really worth preventing them huh?