Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Flies and dogs ears..the fight is on! Help!

mom_to_many
May 24th, 2006, 10:31 AM
Well it seems awful early for the flies to be making meals out of Rusty and Bandits ears...but they are! :mad: My biggest problem is when Rusty sees me coming with the fly wipe (i have to hide it behind my back,but she still knows!)...the chase is on. When I do corner her..I might get half an ear done. If I manage to get both, she is off in the grass or dirt rubbing it off. I have tried sprays and now the lotion Repel-X. I really think it's the smell that bothers her. Is there anything out there without the chemical smell? Or a home-made remedy? This is going to be a looonnnnggg summer!

jessi76
May 24th, 2006, 11:21 AM
Avon's Skin So Soft bath oil. It does help w/ bugs, but isn't the most effective, you have to reapply OFTEN. It does smell nice though. Even if it doesn't help w/ the bugs, it has about 101 other uses. great stuff to have handy around the house.

happycats
May 24th, 2006, 12:31 PM
I used to buy my MIL's Akita, the horse roll-on stuff, (I forget the name) but you can find it in most farm supply store. It works great and Kita didn't mind it at all.

BMDLuver
May 24th, 2006, 01:14 PM
Farnam Rollon... it's about $6 usd. Works great as it's thick on the dog can't easily rub or roll it off.

doggy lover
May 24th, 2006, 01:26 PM
I posted about black flies earlier and some suggestions were noxima, and lemons steeped with rosemary and made into a spray. I have used skintastic on Tucker I figured if safe for kids why not him. This long-weekend was so cold that it snowed so no flies, I guess that is one good thing about it.

mom_to_many
May 24th, 2006, 05:52 PM
Thanks guys...I'll probably try them all!! lol Rusty will love me now! haha! And doggy lover...SNOW??:eek: It has been soooo hot here ( high 90's..low 100's) I am jealous!! Our winter here was really mild...and now the heat has brought all the nasty buggies out. And the flies are acting like it's late August...crazy weather!!

pamha
May 24th, 2006, 11:42 PM
I`ve used vaseline. I think anything that creates a thick barrier will work even if it`s not specificly a bug repellant.

dogmelissa
July 11th, 2006, 10:16 PM
Wanted to revive this thread to post about this homemade recipe I found (haven't tried it myself yet).

http://www.recipegoldmine.com/houseDG/house132.html

The base site (recipe gold mine) has recipes for just about everything you could ever think of, and then some.

I haven't tried this but I will. Squitos are terrible here--I was so covered in calamine lotion last week it looked like I had spots of skin on a calamine background. Yuck.

Melissa