- Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

Flies and dogs ears..the fight is on! Help!

May 24th, 2006, 10:31 AM
Well it seems awful early for the flies to be making meals out of Rusty and Bandits ears...but they are! :mad: My biggest problem is when Rusty sees me coming with the fly wipe (i have to hide it behind my back,but she still knows!)...the chase is on. When I do corner her..I might get half an ear done. If I manage to get both, she is off in the grass or dirt rubbing it off. I have tried sprays and now the lotion Repel-X. I really think it's the smell that bothers her. Is there anything out there without the chemical smell? Or a home-made remedy? This is going to be a looonnnnggg summer!

May 24th, 2006, 11:21 AM
Avon's Skin So Soft bath oil. It does help w/ bugs, but isn't the most effective, you have to reapply OFTEN. It does smell nice though. Even if it doesn't help w/ the bugs, it has about 101 other uses. great stuff to have handy around the house.

May 24th, 2006, 12:31 PM
I used to buy my MIL's Akita, the horse roll-on stuff, (I forget the name) but you can find it in most farm supply store. It works great and Kita didn't mind it at all.

May 24th, 2006, 01:14 PM
Farnam Rollon... it's about $6 usd. Works great as it's thick on the dog can't easily rub or roll it off.

doggy lover
May 24th, 2006, 01:26 PM
I posted about black flies earlier and some suggestions were noxima, and lemons steeped with rosemary and made into a spray. I have used skintastic on Tucker I figured if safe for kids why not him. This long-weekend was so cold that it snowed so no flies, I guess that is one good thing about it.

May 24th, 2006, 05:52 PM
Thanks guys...I'll probably try them all!! lol Rusty will love me now! haha! And doggy lover...SNOW??:eek: It has been soooo hot here ( high 90's..low 100's) I am jealous!! Our winter here was really mild...and now the heat has brought all the nasty buggies out. And the flies are acting like it's late August...crazy weather!!

May 24th, 2006, 11:42 PM
I`ve used vaseline. I think anything that creates a thick barrier will work even if it`s not specificly a bug repellant.

July 11th, 2006, 10:16 PM
Wanted to revive this thread to post about this homemade recipe I found (haven't tried it myself yet).

The base site (recipe gold mine) has recipes for just about everything you could ever think of, and then some.

I haven't tried this but I will. Squitos are terrible here--I was so covered in calamine lotion last week it looked like I had spots of skin on a calamine background. Yuck.