Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Twelve week old pup with loose stool

Gander's mom
May 24th, 2006, 07:36 AM
My pup has had some strange poops the past few days. He goes from loose stool to spongy or foamy looking stool to semi solid stool. I boiled white rice and put a little in his food and that seemed to help but every morning When I get up he's pooped in his crate, not runny but spongy like. There isn't any blood and it seems to be a normal color. He does go more often then before. He's been eating,drinking and playing as usual but Im a little worried. He has a vet appointment for Friday for vaccinations,should I just wait until then or does this sound like something serious. I also wanted to mention we have a baby pool for him and he sometimes drinks from it. It gets the occasional leaf,dirt,rocks,etc in it . He has been de wormed on schedual and had his stool checked twice since we got him because he had loose stool when we got him from the breeder. She had him on ANEBOL, I think that's what it's called.Any ideas what this could be or what I should do ? Thanks:o

Daizy
May 24th, 2006, 01:28 PM
If you are worrried maybe you should ring your vets first and see .. my littlest one was 16 weeks when I got her and she had something similiar but with a tiny amount of blood in the stools but because she was lively, playing, eating, drinking they said it was okay to leave it until my scheduled appointment unless I was worried. It turned out it was a mild colitus and a little medication helped but it was on the mend anyway by the time I got her to the vets as I did take her before her scheduled appointment but it turned out I could have waited as they suggested.

Most good vets will give you an idea of what to do over the phone and also tell you if you are worried to bring them in. Call them and ask if its okay wait until Friday (which is two days away now) or see if you can get an earlier appointment and put your mind at rest.

Daizy
May 24th, 2006, 01:29 PM
Take a couple samples of fresh poop with you, so they can see what it looks like.

Gander's mom
May 24th, 2006, 03:10 PM
:) Thanks ,

I'm pretty sure he's fine but I just hate not knowing. The vet said to keep a close eye on him but that it was fine to wait. :p

coppperbelle
May 24th, 2006, 08:13 PM
Bring a sample to the vet on Friday. I don't think there is any need to rush over as he is behaving normally otherwise. I did have a foster this last winter with similar symptoms. He had Giardia so maybe ask the vet about that. In the meantime you can try adding raw pumpkin to his food. Make sure you don't buy the pie filling but the raw pumpkin. For now keep him out of the pool so that he doesn't drink excessive amounts of water which may be the problem.