Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Puppy Very Sick, Vet no help

NickM
May 24th, 2006, 01:00 AM
Hello, I have a 9-10 week old shepard & collie puppy. He had an incident where he continues to throw up, this has been going on for three days. He also has diarrhea (yellowish liquid). He would not eat food for the last two days but was drinking water. I have taken the puppy to the vet and she said he has gas and fluid in his stomach, she gave us some food and said do not let him eat until tomorrow morning, but keep him drinking water, well the puppy will not eat anyway so the not feeding him isn't a problem, however, he also refuses to drink water, and if I give him small amounts through a dropper he will take some, however throws it up 5 minutes after. First of all, How long can a dog survive without food, and secondly, shouldn't the vet have recommended something other than food? He is vomiting, he will not eat or drink, and he seems to be very weak and just wants to sleep. Please help as I don't know what else to do and he is really worrying me, as he has not eaten for three days. Thank you in advance for your help.

mafiaprincess
May 24th, 2006, 01:02 AM
Not eating isn't the huge worry. Not drinking is a large one. It doesn't take very long for a young pup to become dehydrated. You need to get another vet, really soon.

NickM
May 24th, 2006, 01:06 AM
Thanks mafiaprincess, I am going to seek out another vet in the morning and see if I can get him on an IV for a little while. Anyone else have any thoughts that might settle his stomach, where even water is upsetting it?