Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

3 Year Old Lab-Golf Size Lump on Hind Leg

sazat1971
May 23rd, 2006, 10:39 PM
About 10 days ago we noticed what we thought was a "hot spot" on his leg.

We sprayed Hydro-Cortizone on it for about 5 days.

We noticed 5 days ago the spot grew to the size of a golf ball, became very red and began to have a little puss and blood. We were recommended that we should give him Tavist-twice a day.

I will say the swelling has gone down but still concerned because a perfect white circle has formed on top of the lump.

He is eating, drinking, running and playing without any pain.

Any thoughts outside of a possible spider bite, what it might be?

Thanks for any input!!

Shane

Prin
May 24th, 2006, 03:26 AM
IMO, you should already be at the vet, not spraying guck on your dog. It could be an absess that is just getting more and more infected.. Good luck.

Lucky Rescue
May 24th, 2006, 10:04 AM
Prin is right.

Who told you to give Tavist? That's an antihistamine for allergies and itching. Is this person who recommended it a vet?

IF this is an abcess, it must be opened, cleaned and drained by a vet and treated with antibiotics to stop the infection.

You should not be spraying anything on it.

sazat1971
May 24th, 2006, 07:46 PM
Yes it was our vet who told us to give him Tavist.

We just moved about 2 hours away and love our vet, so we called her and she told us to watch it.

We have an appointment tomorrow with a vet locally.

I came here asking for peoples ideas and thoughts, what I have received was people questioning the way we care for our pet.

Asking me who told me to give my dog Tavist is like asking me who told you to give your child "pepto"....I mean if our pet is hurt, I'm not guessing how to "fix" him, just look for ideas what the issue may be.

Thanks for all your sound advice and lesson learned that I'll seek professional advice next time.

Lucky Rescue
May 24th, 2006, 07:51 PM
I'm sorry you are offended, but you never told us you spoke with a vet. Many people come here with pets who are seriously injured and even terminally ill and they refuse to see a vet.

We only know what you tell us.