Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Boo Import Fees

mafiaprincess
May 23rd, 2006, 07:03 PM
So my agility tunnel arrived.. Couldn't find anywhere in Canada to get a nice sturdy, non competition one.. So I had to buy from the US..
Shopped around, found one for 60, shipping for 22. Wasn't bad considering.. Looked at the UPS website, and they claimed the duty fees were included in the little chart they had.
I just paid 23 more in broker/ import charges.. I'm a little ticked. Happy to have it though the ground is too wet to take it out.. But it ends up making your purchase stupid costly.

Few other things I wanted, but after this, I'm not sure I want to pay almost as much in shipping and duty as I do for what I buy..

Suggestions, tips, horror stories?

Puppyluv
May 23rd, 2006, 08:54 PM
Suggestions? tips? no. Horror stories? yes. I am absolutely addicted to those syrups that coffee shops use (I don't put it in my coffee-I drink that black, but I put it in everything else) A while ago I bought a case of 12 bottles (from the states) and the UPS fees (UPS said this was the TOTAL price, everything included) were pretty reasonable, $20, considering that the total package weight about 40 lbs. Then I got the package and I had to pay $65 in import fees! I was not impressed, but I payed. In cash... BIG mistake. Two weeks later I got a letter from UPS saying that I owed $65 in import fees. WHAT?? I JUST payed that!!! I wrote them a letter, but they said they had no record of it... damn cash transactions... I refused to pay... they had their "collection agency" send me letters. I got scared and payed, because at the time I was applying for a mortgage for my condo, and the last thing I needed was a big red X on my record. So yes, in order to purchase $60 worth of syrups, I payed $150 in shipping/import fees. NOT IMPRESSED. I hate UPS now. But alas, as an ebay addict, I have to use them sometimes.

jawert1
May 23rd, 2006, 09:43 PM
yeah I'm getting whacked the other way around on my Tim's order, which is why I'd like to post the suggestion that we find some way to paypal each other and try and avoid some of the corporate shipping nonsense if possible lol I for one would be happy to do so if only to avoid getting knocked about by customs (especially for my Timmy's - it's an addiction I won't give up)

Puppyluv
May 23rd, 2006, 09:44 PM
not to threadjack, but what do you order from Tim's? Just the coffee? Or are you a fan of week-old donuts?

jawert1
May 23rd, 2006, 09:53 PM
hahaha i'd eat their month old apple fritters if i could, but alas, 'tis just the coffee. who knew i'd spend 3 weeks in Halifax, NS and come back with an addiction to Tim's coffee, apple fritters, Alexander Keiths and donairs.

jesse's mommy
May 23rd, 2006, 09:59 PM
Hey, I want in too! I want an indestructable Ikea ball for Jesse. I'd be glad to send anything from here -- hey how about some Florida oranges????

Puppyluv
May 23rd, 2006, 10:03 PM
Come home from NS with an addiction to tim's and keith's? not suprising at all.... it's about all they have out there! (Native NS'ers can curse me now, but I did at least pay some of my dues, I lived there for three months a year for three years). You can get Keith's down there right? Do you order your Tim's straight from Tim's? I'm sure we could all set up an Underground Tim's Shipment Service... keep you in constant and fresh supply. When you ship things as a "gift" you avoid import fees, something that companies won't do, but we all could.

Bushfire2000
May 23rd, 2006, 10:07 PM
I was wondering if you could use one of those tunels for kids to play in as an agility tunnel? You know from the Sears cat. Would it be sturdy enough? Or long enough?

mafiaprincess
May 23rd, 2006, 10:30 PM
I've never used ebay. It honestly scares me. I want a Tiffany's necklace, but had a Tiffs addict look for me and she could tell half were fake, no prob.. I don't want to pay prices like that for something not real.. I'd like a digi cam (so I could share pics of now.. not Cider a year ago.. but I'm not ready to go blow 200.. but ebay scares me.. too many what ifs..

I'd love some sort of exchange proggie with some of the people stateside. So if I did order something, I might not get screwed shipping.. and I've been told since gettign my package, stuff marked gift isn't charged duty.. Would work out a lot better..

I did get a kid's play tunnel. Even practice comp ones are 150 for the bottom end stuff. I got one from toys r us, but the top was mesh.. the out of stock one was plastic. The one I bought is heavy fabric. We played with it tonight. I like it, but I'm still cranky on the extra charges, since it looked like it was already included, and the ups guy got snotty with me when I gave him cash.. I bought this http://creativeplay4less.com/pp20513.html
I found the manufacturer of it, and started googling the tunnel's real name. Institutional rehab kid places were selling it for 100-150 (nice, rip off the people who could use it most) an agility site sold it for 80, and kid play places had it for 60-80 depending. Foir the quality, I am happy.. for the hassel ugh, not so much.

mummummum
May 24th, 2006, 12:49 AM
Mafiaprincess - have you checked Ikea? The tunnel I bought for the two legged ruffians has stood up pretty well over time. They have quite a bit of kidstuff which looks like it could be converted to four-legged fun.
And, as an sometime-ebay addict - be afraid...be verrry afraid. It's a terrible thing - even if you're just lookee-looing - hours are GONE from my life. hmmm...kinda like pets.ca ;)
Tell ya what all you Timmy fans - I've got a 24 hour Tim's just up the street. If you can find a way to make those Timberwolf people see some sense and start shipping to Ontario - I'll ship you a big can of Timmy's finest!!

mafiaprincess
May 24th, 2006, 01:08 AM
You were right on the tunnel. Too late now.. Mine's 9 feet so I can at least make it some of the common agility shapes, but cheap would have been nice.. Though I've never seen a tunnel in my wanderings at Ikea before.
Makes me determined to make my own jumps though. So not getting overcharged for something I can do myself.

mummummum have all your ebay transactions been good ones? Or do you waste more time looking than buying, lol?

mummummum
May 24th, 2006, 01:24 AM
You were right on the tunnel. Too late now.. Mine's 9 feet so I can at least make it some of the common agility shapes, but cheap would have been nice.. Though I've never seen a tunnel in my wanderings at Ikea before.
Makes me determined to make my own jumps though. So not getting overcharged for something I can do myself.

mummummum have all your ebay transactions been good ones? Or do you waste more time looking than buying, lol?

Gasp ! Me? Waste time !?!? I like to call it RESEARCH :D Actually - I've been really happy with all my ebay buys. And you actually don't have to actively "look". As a registered user, I set a "search" with all the criteria I want/need for my desired item and ebay emails me when they have match for my item and criteria.

As for Ikea - the one at Leslie has oodles of kids gear - that's where I bought their tunnel, tent, playtables, chairs, work horse table, benches (ummm did I mention my shopping issues ???). You do have to look carefully as most of the stuff is packaged up and you may not guess what it is from the package. Of course there is always on-line or catalogue shopping which is sometimes preferable to enduring the snails-pace shoppers...

Sounds like you are setting up a backyard agility centre !

Cinnabear
May 24th, 2006, 02:29 AM
I hate shopping from the US for that reason duties. It wouldn't be bad if they only charged for gst but then to add a handling charge, it adds up to be too much.:mad: Just cheaper to buy here if you can.

mafiaprincess
May 24th, 2006, 03:34 AM
Dude, Puppyluv.. I would be so so mad with ups.. As it was the ******** who showed up at my door would not answer my few Qs.. was nasty with me I think due to the dog barking.. I was burning dinner dawdling at the door, and then he got mad when I gave him cash, for which he claimed he had no change. I told him he could find me change, or I wasn't paying.. Comes back with a toonie, telling me I needed to find 61 cents.. by a miracle I pulled it off.. And the box was so damaged I almost didn't let him leave before opening it for fear my tunnel was in pieces..
Purolator lost my package last time a friend shipped me stuff.. they were so unhelpful, and became nasty about the ordeal.. varying people wouldn't let me talk to the last person I had talked to, so no one was hearign what happened or coming up with a solution. Took like 25 days to ship a package like 9 hours.. And when it did come, they didn't bother to ring the doorbell, and my mail got taken to a holding center 3 towns over at a time when I didn't drive, and no one wanted to take me to Timbucktu for there screw up..

We take agility classes.. which are good and not.. (I'm in over active mode tonight and should start a thread on that too...) I either am all or nothing in having Qs and stories.. But we have no time to practice. My backyard has a giany maple and a poll in it, so I can't have a full agility set up, but I think jumps and a tunnel along with handling work will add nicely to training for some variation. She seems to have fun, so it's worth the cost for toys.. But I hadn't been to ikea in forever.. so I didn't think.. I only thought of toys r us..

oh, so ebay can tell me the junk I really need eh.. Awesome, I'd be freaking hopeless there..

I dig Cinnabear. I looked so hard for what I wanted here.. After multiple sites offering me compitition quality practice tunnels for like 250 and more.. and very few kiddie toys, I gave up, but I was under the assumption that some of the fees were covered.. rather than double the shipping in the end..
Makes me not want to buy much else online-- deal or not.. when I could go to Tiffany and Co downtown TO and know that it's real, without hassle.. but I'd be better off blowing the money on Cider..

doggy lover
May 24th, 2006, 09:51 AM
Ohhhhhhhh Ikea have to go get me a tunnel for Tucker he would love it.:D Great idea guys I'll try and get there this week.:thumbs up