Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Your Local Rescue Group Needs YOU!!

LavenderRott
May 23rd, 2006, 06:44 PM
Today my mom and I stopped at the local county animal control shelter. There were two lovely male rottweilers there and I can't tell you how devestated I am that I live in an apartment and can't bring one of them home.

I did, however, notify one of the local Rottweiler Rescue groups. Arlene sent me an e-mail saying that she would love to help but she is a one woman show! Every dog that she pulls lives in her home as she doesn't have a single foster home to help her out! Her priorities lie with dogs in shelters that have contracts with a Class B dealer, who pulls dogs that haven't been adopted and sells them to research labs.

What I am trying to say is this: YOUR LOCAL RESCUE GROUP NEEDS FOSTER HOMES!! If you have time and space, consider opening your home and your heart to a dog or cat in need.

If anyone in Michigan can help Arlene rescue some loving rottweilers - please pm me and I will get you in touch with her. :D

Lucky Rescue
May 23rd, 2006, 06:59 PM
Thanks for that. We cannot get anyone to foster for us either, and it's an easy way to help save a life!

LM1313
May 23rd, 2006, 08:39 PM
I would, if only my apartment let me keep dogs. :(

BoxerRescueMTL
May 23rd, 2006, 09:16 PM
Thanks for that. We cannot get anyone to foster for us either, and it's an easy way to help save a life!
Ditto to that!! Foster homes are like GOLD!!!!!!!!!! :angel:

coppperbelle
May 24th, 2006, 09:42 PM
Thank you for your post. A few months ago we put out an urgent message asking for foster homes. I received many inquiries but few actually followed through. We could help so many more dogs if we had foster homes for them. Some dogs just need to be in foster for a few days but we can't help them because no one is available to take them. :(
I will admit it can be a lot of work but it is so rewarding. A few weeks ago we along with two other local rescues took in 8 dogs from a puppy mill. The site of these confused poor souls was heartbreaking as they stood there awaiting their fate. Little did they know that their lives were about to get better. They stood frozen in place not daring to move until someone spoke to them, then the tip of the tail would start to wag. We had to carry most of them and lift them into the cars that waited to take them to their new lives. Sadly two passed because they were so ill. Tally came home with me. She spent the first night cowering in my kitchen. I sat down on the floor with her that first night and spoke to her gently and pet her. It was probably her first experience with human kindness. Each day she improved and last Thursday she went to live in her new forever home. I had mixed emotions, I was so sad to see her go but happy that she would be loved and cherished by her new family. This week I will do it again with the 12 year old who is no longer welcome in his family and has been banished outdoors.

joeysmama
May 25th, 2006, 12:11 AM
I know this information is probably here somewhere so if someone could point me to it that would be great. But my question is: How do you go about finding a local rescue that needs help? I know of a few animal shelters but no rescue organizations. Would calling them be a start?

I'm thinking about dipping a toe in the water. Just a little leary of having to give them back.

Also, do you take your own dog there first to be sure that they get along okay before you bring another one home? Or just bring them in and hope for the best. Cooper seems to like other dogs a lot but he's never had one on his home turf.

Lucky Rescue
May 25th, 2006, 09:04 AM
To find a rescue group, go to www.petfinder.org and click on "Shelters and rescues" at the top right. Then type in your city, state, province or whatever to find one near you.

You never bring a new dog right into the house. You must have them meet on neutral territory, like a park, see how they interact/play then walk them home together and hopefully your dog will accept the new one by the time you get to your house.