Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

DISGUSTED!! Re PBT

Luba
January 2nd, 2004, 12:34 PM
Take a look at this poor dog :( I'm gonna give the adoption info in that section because its at Toronto Humane Society for adoption.

You just know it was used for pit fighting look at the poor dolls ears. I am just disgusted!

There are other pits I see with their ears cropped so short you may as well not even say they have ears.

I want to put a question out to those who seem to know much more about the PBT's then I do.

Since there are so many of them in the shelters, it came to mind that these strong determined dogs MUST be able to be used for something!

Do they have any character traits that would allow them to be some form of working dog? IE sniffer dogs, tracking dogs, anything? If only the shift could be made to have them used for a 'different' purpose! Just a thought, so people educate me!

:)

Lucky Rescue
January 2nd, 2004, 12:50 PM
Edited to say: Never mind - I see the info in the other sections***

Can you tell me more about that baby? I know people in Ontario who do pit bull rescue and they may be able to help.

Also, how "urgent" it is when they mark a dog as such? Is this a high-kill shelter, or do they say Urgent to increase the chance of adoption?
Look at this one, also at the THS. His ears have been hacked off with scissors.
.http://pic4.picturetrail.com/VOL51/1047157/2137064/41684483.jpg

Pit bulls are used for many purposes. People do agility, tracking, search & rescue, therapy work, shutzhund and hog hunting with them. (I don't personally like the hog hunting part!) Weight pull is also a very popular activity with pit bull owners! And of course, we won't discuss the illegal and sadistic "sport" of dogfighting.

They are very versatile, enthusiastic, high drive and determined dogs, as are most terriers. They are 65 lb lap dogs!!

And of course what they do best is to love you, and anyone who meets one of these dogs cannot help but fall for them. My Chloe has changed many people's minds about this breed.

There are so many of them in the shelters because scummy people are breeding them like crazy right now, and any dog that won't fight often finds itself being drowned, shot, hung, beaten to death, having acid poured on them, or being buried alive. The lucky ones are merely dumped.

Contrary to popular opinion, ex fighting dogs can make wonderful sweet pets. Pit bulls are a breed that forgives the cruelties inflicted on them, and somehow can still trust people.

Luba
January 2nd, 2004, 02:10 PM
I saw that sweetie too and it broke my heart! It always does!
So mean and cruel people are!!

LR let me put this out to you then! The issue is Education or REeducation of these dogs!

Are there clubs where responsible individuals like yourself take your dogs to interact with one another?

I'm just thinking if 'groups' and owners of this breed put on education seminars or held pit competitions for agility etc...
and there were some sort of 'trophe' of such it may start letting people look differently about the breed.

So between you and your friends have you ever thought of something like this? A pit agility contest?

Applicants pay a fee, spectators pay a fee.

Money raised goes to help education, foster and vet treat those abused dogs? I dunno?? Just a thought, a big one but ya have to take one step at a time.

The only exposure I get for these wonderful dogs is when I walk them at the shelter. I've not had one dog even growl, snarl or bark 'at' me!

So, you obviously think there is room for expanding these dogs use! What do ya say about taking that further?

I'm not sure what it means by urgent for adoption. The THS normally never puts that. I see some of the shelters on petfinder that post THS stuff or other city shelter stuff and mark it urgent but I don't know why.

I'm still learning all this stuff :)

I still want to bring Muta home but mom would freak at me, said she would go live in the garage and me and Muta could have the house LMFHO!!

:eek:

Lucky Rescue
January 2nd, 2004, 03:28 PM
Unfortunately, I don't even know anyone who has seen a pit bull, much less owns one!
However many of the people on the pit bull board I moderate do get together for fun events.

Also, in Ontario, Barlees Rescue has an annual "Barleepalooza" with all kinds of fun events. You might like to go! I think I may go this year.:)

Yes, education is desperately needed. You say your mom would freak out....has she had experience with pit bulls, or has all her information come from the media? I know what that's like, because I was one of those people, until I educated myself and spoke to many other owners. Their pathetic plight touched me, and I began fostering pit bulls. I had never seen one, but the first one I met won me over completely! If your mom could meet one of these sweet, grinning wigglebutts, I know she would change her mind.

The media has nearly single-handedly caused panic and terror over this breed. If a dog that bears any resemblance to a pit bull gets into a fight with another dog, the headlines scream "PIT BULL MAULS FAMILY PET!!" I've seen pics, and quite often the dogs are NOT even pit bulls, but mastiffs, boxers, etc.

Yet lately, in two different stories of pit bulls saving childen, the headlines said "DOG saves Child". You can bet if the dog had harmed the child, they would named the breed in the headline.:mad:

Also, dogfighters are openly advertising on the net. Here's (http://www.sporting-dog.com/products.html) an example! Anyone who understands the lingo knows what they are talking about. Sick!

Luba
January 2nd, 2004, 07:38 PM
Hi LR

If I had one of my own I'd try to start some sort of club or something to educate people on them.

Nothing will change my moms opinion about the breed, she is fearful of them and I respect that. Besides their tails are like whips and she's had one knee surgery an on to #2 soon ;)

I will take a look at that link you provided. I've seen some pretty horrible things in the past with pit fights. Disgusting!

If only this world were a better place

Luba
January 2nd, 2004, 07:46 PM
OMG

he was hooked into a dog that had killed both of his previous opponents

Occasionally, he would bite you if not released quick enough.

b**tards!!!!!

Is this LEGAL??

amaruq
January 3rd, 2004, 08:58 AM
This is awful!!!!!!!!!!!!

The red pitbull is gorgeous! We can't have them in our city.

I watched on Animal planet animal police and they go into these places and break these up. Did you know they use a younger pup tape up its mouth and restrict its leg movements and then train the dogs with these poor creatures? Its DISGUSTING!!!!!! I feel the people who get caught doing this should be used as the dummie and let the dogs have at him or her. :P

Luba
January 3rd, 2004, 12:29 PM
Corona

The dog pictured in my original post is not longer UFA at the Toronto humane society.

I truly hope she was adopted to a loving home

daisy18216
January 4th, 2004, 07:59 AM
Luba I hope she was adopted to a good home too. I have a pit a pit mix and a gsd. My pits are the greatest. All they want is to be loved. They love licking and being loyal.

As LR said the board that she moderates (which i'm proud to say I'm a member of) people do get together's w/other pitties owners. I'm hoping to be able to do things w/a woman that I found out lives about 45mins. away from me.

They have a very bad rap and I too believe that people need to be educated on them and their breeds. There are alot of breeds that people mistake pits for. they'll say they was attacked by a pit bull (it'll look like a pit) when actually it wasn't a pit bull, it was another breed.

I took a test on trying to find the real pit bull and let's say I own a pit and I failed that test. All the ones I thought were pits, werent'.

I'll have to try to get that website address.

Luba
January 4th, 2004, 01:19 PM
Really Daisy thats' interesting about that test!

When I had my foster (Honey) who's a English Pointer (now wAggie is her forever mom) I would get asked if she was a pit all the time (laughs) because she's very muscular. LMAOOO

Had people really walk WAY around me because they thought the gentle leader was a muzzle. LMFHO!

wAggie
January 4th, 2004, 02:31 PM
Lu-Ba!

they still do ask!

even we look at her on occation with that thought!

it's quite compelling, I must tell u!!

Luba
January 4th, 2004, 03:39 PM
Ha ha ha then say she is HAHAHAHH

melanie
January 4th, 2004, 05:42 PM
Hi everyone, i was just wondering if there is a great deal of genetic difference between a pit bull and a staffie, i have never seen a pit bull only a bull mastif, is this the same? the pic that LR posted looks like a staffie, it looks like a furry friend of ours, might be the angle or maybe im just plain confused (a real possibility). but i must say that when i down loaded the pics below i nearly threw up. it makes me sick to the stomach, poor little babies, what is wrong with some people?? hope karma catches up with them :mad:
People always get our breed wrong, my GSD cross is caramel color with white marks. people always ask if she is dingo or has dingo in her. it seems old men seem to call her dingo often. if they looked at her instead fo her color they would see she is as much dingo as i am, and the fattest dingo on the planet, it can drive me crazy (there are not many dingos around so she attracts alot of these comments). but old Aboriginal men seem to favor her and want cuddles, call her dingo, this is very cute, but i dont mind so much if it makes her happy and someone else.:D

daisy18216
January 4th, 2004, 06:04 PM
Luba and Melanie and anyone else who wants to take this test here's a site that you can go to.

www.realpitbull.com/id.html

Make sure you click on Breed ID take the test and see if you can find the real pit bull. Melanie this will also answer your question.

Let me know how you guys did and if you had any trouble getting to this site.

Good Luck on taking this test.

melanie
January 4th, 2004, 06:38 PM
well, i picked dog 10 which is the mix, so no i didnt know the right one. there is a huge difference between staffie and pit especially that snout length, and they are oh so cute, i love the photo of Def dogg with the little girl. but i may not have recognised it due to the fact they are banned in Australia and i have never seen one live only in pics, although i have been told that over here that is some traces of the dog they are just mixed heaps. thanks for your help:D

daisy18216
January 4th, 2004, 07:03 PM
Your welcome Melanie.

I have a pit and a pit mix (also a gsd) anyway i didn't pick the pit out either. I picked the wrong one. There are alot of dogs that look like pits, as I learned from that test.

Luba
January 4th, 2004, 07:19 PM
OMG I just took the test with my mom!

I was kinda stuck between two of them and wasn't sure but mom had a harder time.

How about that though, who woulda thought!!!!!!

:D

Thanks for the link that was great. LR you should try it out :D

daisy18216
January 4th, 2004, 07:28 PM
Your welcome Luba.

Actually I think LR is the one who gave that to me, i might be wrong but i think it was her.

Have your friends and family take that test and see if they pass. I should print that out and give it to all the people who bad mouth pitties. Just b/c the dog might look like a pit bull doesn't mean it is a pittie.

When you see all these attacks saying "Pit Bull Attack someone" it's most likely that it wasn't even a pit but another dog. I love to prove people like that wrong.:D

Luba
January 4th, 2004, 07:36 PM
I know wAggie wont' mind me posting this one of Honey but I know what you mean (English Pointer) not PBT LMAOOO

daisy18216
January 4th, 2004, 07:47 PM
She's beautiful Luba, and wAggie.:)

wAggie
January 5th, 2004, 03:23 PM
thank u :D

she's a mix ;) ;)

Lucky Rescue
January 5th, 2004, 07:15 PM
When I had my foster (Honey) who's a English Pointer (now wAggie is her forever mom) I would get asked if she was a pit all the time (laughs) because she's very muscular.

Wow. This is the point I was making in another post about the media calling any shorthaired muscular dog a "pit bull" in the event of any attack.

Point proven.:(

Luba
January 5th, 2004, 08:03 PM
Exactly LR !

wAggie she's a mix of Honey and NUTS

lmfho
cheerios

HAHAHAHA

I'm so happy she's with wAggie :D
I had countless offers from hunters who saw her pictures for adoption. Spotting the training she already had cause of her points and crawls lmfho (not kidding) one dude offered me $2000 bux to send her to Texas :eek: cause they knew she's a good lookin pure English Pointer and I BET they wanted to use her to BREED!!!!!

wAGGIE's home is much better don't u think :D

Luba happy