Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Old dog nervous, shaking, hyperactive

lfshadow
May 23rd, 2006, 01:27 PM
I have an elderly female dog (age 12, Blk Lab & Australian Shepard Mix) Sometimes when she is just standing still I notice that she shakes, mostly her legs. She has always been a nervous and hyperactive dog. She also barks hysterically whenever I arrive home. (as If I've been gone for days) then when I let her in the house she runs fast thru the house and then is exhausted and out of breath. I worry, now that she is older, that this behavior will cause her to have a heart attack one day. She has also lost some weight; she's always been thin. Why does she do this and how can I calm her down, or should I even worry about it?

rainbow
May 23rd, 2006, 02:26 PM
When was the last time you took your dog to the vet? When was the last time she had blood work done?

At 12 years old she should be having check-ups twice a year.:pawprint:

coppperbelle
May 23rd, 2006, 08:52 PM
I have an elderly female dog (age 12, Blk Lab & Australian Shepard Mix) Sometimes when she is just standing still I notice that she shakes, mostly her legs. She has always been a nervous and hyperactive dog. She also barks hysterically whenever I arrive home. (as If I've been gone for days) then when I let her in the house she runs fast thru the house and then is exhausted and out of breath. I worry, now that she is older, that this behavior will cause her to have a heart attack one day. She has also lost some weight; she's always been thin. Why does she do this and how can I calm her down, or should I even worry about it?

At 12 years old she should see a vet for a check up regularly. Shaky legs could mean that she is having trouble with her legs and she is trying to keep them from letting go. Does she have all her hearing? My old girl use to bark like this until I gave her the hand signal to stop. She would also get tired after expending energy, it turned out she had heart failure.
The fact that you are asking the question means that you are worried. Why not plan a visit to the vet to check everything out.