Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

There is deer wandering up and down our street

Joey.E.CockersMommy
May 23rd, 2006, 12:28 PM
A few days ago one of my neighbours was telling me that she saw a deer in her yard. I was walking down home with Joey today from our walk. There was a deer in our neighbours front yard. Then it was wandering up and down our street. I actually ran inside to get my camera - but by the time I came back out I couldnt find the deer.

I believe it may be a youngish deer or a female - still pretty tall though about 6ft at the withers. Anyways we live in a suburbian neighbourhood not the place you would expect to see a deer. I am not sure what to do I am going to give the SPCA a call to see what they suggest. I am sure it must be lost. I am going to call the SPCA and see what they suggest. :)

Joey.E.CockersMommy
May 23rd, 2006, 12:36 PM
Well I just talked to the wild life conservation. Apparently they dont do anything. They just let the deer live in the neighbourhood and eat the neighbours plants until he her she decides to move on. :eek:

I dont mind the deer - but I happen to know there is a few people in our neighbour that dont - and one guy is actually a hunter. :( :eek:

jessi76
May 23rd, 2006, 01:13 PM
we have deer often, they nibble the fruit trees in my backyard. Tucker flips out, acts like a tough-guy, I let him get closer, and suddenly he's the biggest weenie in the world... hiding behind me. At this point the deer just roll their eyes at him, I swear.

I love when the deer visit, beautiful animals.

Skryker
May 23rd, 2006, 02:05 PM
I remember seeing a deer walking around my University campus one year. Middle of the day, just strolling the paths as calmly as you please! They seem to adapt very well to the 'burbs.

Hopefully, your neighbours just leave well enough alone-and no-one decides to hand feed it and make it easy prey for the hunters. :sad:

Joey.E.CockersMommy
May 23rd, 2006, 02:46 PM
I think I know where the deer may have come from. There is a ton of development going on in and around our area. All of these areas used to be forested and I am sure home to many wild life species. Now there are Golf Courses and housing developments being put up all over the place - it looks like the poor deer are being kicked out of their homes. :(

CyberKitten
May 23rd, 2006, 03:01 PM
Join the club!! Last night, we had a big moose, a male, wandering up our street. Then again, the house is near some trees and a wooded area but I have never seen one here before!!

The best solution is to call the dept of Natural Resources and they can relocate the deer and or find out where s/he belongs. That is what we did with the moose before someone decided they wanted well, something from the poor animal!

My bf was agog but I grew up often seeing moose and deer. As long as he did not land in my pool, I was OK with a moose on the loose, lol It was quite the topic in the neighbourhood tho. :)

Rick C
May 23rd, 2006, 03:27 PM
Well I just talked to the wild life conservation. Apparently they dont do anything. They just let the deer live in the neighbourhood and eat the neighbours plants until he her she decides to move on. :eek:

I dont mind the deer - but I happen to know there is a few people in our neighbour that dont - and one guy is actually a hunter. :( :eek:

Deer actually adapt quite well to suburbia . . . . so I'm not surprised by the wildlife guys.

Watch your flowers. The favourite food of a deer.

We live in the country and they're in our yard or trooping by en masse every day. And they try to destroy our trees every fall during rutting season (drives me insane.)

Had to stop for one on the outskirts of Okotoks this morning . . . . . they wander through the town quite a bit.

What passes for normal at sunset at our place:

http://www.goldentales.ca/P1120330_edited-1.jpg

Rick C
www.goldentales.ca

Joey.E.CockersMommy
May 23rd, 2006, 03:48 PM
Beautiful picture Rick - it sure looks a lot more natural in your backyard then ours.

Would the deer jump into our backyard - our gate is always closed - our fence is about 5 and a half feet. Next time I will take my camera when I go out just in case I see it again.

CyberKitten
May 23rd, 2006, 03:56 PM
Personally, I was a bit irked that Bullwinkle had to make his visit at night (aruond 10 P.M.) so no pictures, sighhhhh I think my bf thought I was nuts when I said that tho, lol As long as he is not in front of my vehicle or in my pool, he can have all the room he wants!!

But yes, deer will eat as much stuff as possible from gardens. Growing up in northern NB, we always saw deer in the woods and they are truly beautiful animals - swift and love to eat carrots, beets, radishes, anything almost, lol We rarely saw them on the street though but occasionally an entire till of carrots was gone, lol

joeysmama
May 23rd, 2006, 04:15 PM
Deer are very common here in NJ, and even more so now that there are more neighborhoods going up. That's what's happening where you are I'm sure. We're really living in THEIR backyards when you think about it.

They eat our arborvitae. There are some variations you can get that the deer don't like but we didn't know about those when we planted ours. It makes my husband crazy. He wraps them in wire, and burlap in the winter, but they find a way. We never plant tulips anymore as the deer are there the day after they bloom. Tulips are like candy to them I guess. And then the front of my house looks as though Morticia Adams is the landscaper. :crazy:

They are so pretty and I love when we see a family of them stroll across the lawn. The do carry the ticks that carry lyme disease so that worries me.

But other than that they make lovely neighbors !!

Joey.E.CockersMommy
May 23rd, 2006, 04:15 PM
Yes it was rather inconsiderate of the deer not to wait until I got my camera. If she eats my weeds I will be more then happy. Just not my hanging baskets - they are right at her level - she wouldnt even have to bend down at all. :D

There is a creek right behind us I imagine she will be spending some of her time there in the shade in between munching on the flower beds.

rainbow
May 23rd, 2006, 04:28 PM
Would the deer jump into our backyard - our gate is always closed - our fence is about 5 and a half feet.

They will if there's something tasty for them to eat.:eek: If you have a veggie garden they love fresh young lettuce.:D They also like tulip bulbs and cedar trees among other things. Do a search on google if you need. to.

We have lots around here and I love watching them. I'm the world's worst gardener so they only use my front yard to pass through as the back is fenced. Also the elk but they can do a lot more damage to your lawn.:eek: And the bears that love the fruit trees.:D

Rick C
May 23rd, 2006, 04:38 PM
Beautiful picture Rick - it sure looks a lot more natural in your backyard then ours.

Would the deer jump into our backyard - our gate is always closed - our fence is about 5 and a half feet. Next time I will take my camera when I go out just in case I see it again.

A five and a half foot fence is no deterrent at all to a deer.

People around here, if they're motivated enough, build 10 and 15 foot fences to keep deer out of tree farms and, in one case near our place, flower gardens dedicated to some deceased parents.

There are also some products you can spray around to keep them away but I'm not sure what all that's about or if you want to go to the trouble.

Rick C
www.goldentales.ca

Rick C
May 23rd, 2006, 04:38 PM
double post

Puppyluv
May 23rd, 2006, 07:32 PM
This is one of the reasons I miss Calgary. We always had deer roaming our yards. True, it wasn't always good for the shrubbery or the flowers, but how can you beat being that close to wildlife? (So long as they stay off the busy roads)

CyberKitten
May 23rd, 2006, 10:15 PM
I have to add it was darned inconvenient of Bullwinkle to wander into my area at night so I could not take his photo, guess the big boy is just camera shy. ;)

Prin
May 24th, 2006, 03:24 AM
ooo send the deer here! She'll eat my cedar bushes and maybe they'll die! :D

I hope she finds a new safe place to live.:fingerscr

doggy lover
May 24th, 2006, 10:23 AM
Hey I live in Scarborough and last year we had a deer in our back yard. Also this spring a deer was hit on the road near my work and killed it took 3 police cars about 4 hours of sitting there before someone came and removed it. I thought they would just take it home for their freezer. JM don't worry its not hunting season.