Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Hi to everyone... I'm new here... -- cat meowing and strong smelling urine

mycatsmom
May 23rd, 2006, 06:39 AM
I am looking for some suggestions about my cat. It's an 8 month old male, he is still intact and I am currently saving money to have him neutered. I have a few questions and hopefully you can help me. First of all, the scent of his urine is "very" strong...after just one pee I have to change the kitty litter and clean the litter tray; will this change once he is neutered? I've been told that it'll take about three weeks afterwards before I'll notice any difference. Secondly, he is CONSTANTLY meowing...I always make sure he has fresh water, food and kitty litter but he still does it. He even does it all through out the night/am...24/7. He wakes me at all hours doing this.I have no idea why he does this. Any help greatly appreciated. Thank you.

BMDLuver
May 23rd, 2006, 08:00 AM
Honestly, there's no help for either problem. Neutering is the answer. Most likely he is howling and pacing because there is a female in the neighbourhood in heat whom he would like to visit. Same with strong urine, most likely caused by high testosterone levels presently. Save those pennies and he'll be an enjoyable cat sooner! :thumbs up

Kayla1984
May 23rd, 2006, 08:17 AM
Honestly, there's no help for either problem. Neutering is the answer. Most likely he is howling and pacing because there is a female in the neighbourhood in heat whom he would like to visit. Same with strong urine, most likely caused by high testosterone levels presently. Save those pennies and he'll be an enjoyable cat sooner! :thumbs up

Very much agreed. :thumbs up

mycatsmom
May 23rd, 2006, 08:44 AM
thanx....he is an indoor cat tho; he's not going to be allowed outside til after he's neutered. There aren't many cats around here, and the ones that are have been spayed or neutered. Is the scent thing still a possibility?

badger
May 23rd, 2006, 09:49 AM
The sooner you get him snipped, the sooner the behaviours and strong odours will begin to subside. Try a layer of baking soda before you put in the litter. Or buy the perfumed variety, which I generally avoid, but it works!

Are you planning on letting him go outside because he hassles you? After he's neutered, I recommend you keep him inside for at least a month. You may find that when he is less hell-bent on defending his territory or running after females that he is quite happy as an exclusively indoor cat, which in terms of long life, is better for him.

Lucky Rescue
May 23rd, 2006, 10:26 AM
It's impossible to keep an intact male as an indoor pet. He should have been neutered months ago. Not only the smell is unbearable, but intact males can become very aggressive if keep inside.

Yes, the smell will go away and most likely the howling will stop. The older the cat is when neutered, the longer it will take, especially if he's already started these behaviors. You are VERY lucky he's not spraying your walls and furniture.

Even if there are no other cats in the vicinity, his hormones are driving him to want to go out to seek females and fight with males.

rainbow
May 23rd, 2006, 03:56 PM
He definitely needs to be neutered. Is there any way you can borrow the money from family, friends or your financial institution? Or if your vet is willing to make payment arragements? :pawprint:

abudamunky
May 27th, 2006, 06:11 PM
my male is neutered and he still meows like crazy, come to find out, he's got simaese in his blood, which that breed is a VERY vocal one. it's kinda hard to describe but chances are if you little guy is 'talking' for no reason, at all hours of the day, he's just expressing his breeds talent.

JessXx
May 27th, 2006, 08:57 PM
I personally think fixing your cat will fix the problem... Hopefully it all goes well...
Good luck. :highfive: :highfive:

Snooky'sMom
May 30th, 2006, 08:46 AM
I have a male cat that is neutered as a kitten and he STILL sprays in his litter and it still smells strong. And he still wants out lots. I hope neutering solves your problem but it hasn't worked for me.

Lucky Rescue
May 30th, 2006, 10:32 AM
have a male cat that is neutered as a kitten and he STILL sprays in his litter and it still smells strong.

Spraying is only done on vertical surfaces while the cat is standing up, so it sounds like your cat is merely peeing in his litter and yes, the urine of male cats is strong smelling even when they are neutered.