Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Blood in urine after spaying

lily'smom
May 22nd, 2006, 10:31 PM
My dog was spayed last Thursday & on Saturday she began to have blood in her urine & shooting pains when urinating and just sitting around. Have taken her back to the vet daily- Vet said she has a bladder infection and it has nothing to do with the spay operation. She is on antibiotics, but today the vet said she was worse & added another antibiotic. I'm concerned that it could be a mistake during surgery ? Has this happened to anyone else. Thinking of taking her to another vet tomorrow for a second opinion ?

Lucky Rescue
May 22nd, 2006, 10:41 PM
I"m assuming the vet did a urinalysis to check for infection?

Bladder infections are pretty common and it probably is just coincidence that it occured at the same time as the spay, although of course anything is possible.

CyberKitten
May 23rd, 2006, 12:23 AM
Most vets here give cats an antibiotic prophylactally to ensure no infection occurs but this may have been pre-existing. It sounds like your vet is treating it properly (not that I am a vet!!!) but I would ask her or him what s/he thinks about the blood in the urine and am assuming a urinalysis was done?

Otherwise, if you are not pleased, I would consider another vet. It may well be an infection that was aggravated by the procedure and stress - cats are stressed easily, some more than others.

I have fortunately never had this occur with any of my kitties over the yrs but know of ppl who have had cats with blood in the urine and it has been an infection. But I would really ask your vet what s/he thinks and go from there.

I hope your kitty will be fine!!!