Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Advantage, Sentinel, I don't know!

Maxine
May 22nd, 2006, 07:09 PM
Hi everybody! I didnt want to do some threadjacking or something like that, but I was reading about shopping online for pet meds and I saw Sentinel Spectrum. Its good for heartworms, fleas, intestinal worms including tape worms... I really know nothing about it but I heard this is the time of the year to start the doses.... So, my question is: Is Sentinel as good as it says or should I go with something like Advantage, only for fleas??? :confused: :confused:

Thanks for your replies! :highfive:

mafiaprincess
May 22nd, 2006, 07:16 PM
Sentinal only sterilizes fleas once they bite..
We had sentinal last year, and ended up with a minor flea problem in which I got covered in bites from fleas tracked in that didn't bite the dog.

If fleas are a problem I'd go for a HW med and a flea med or a better all in one solution like revolution. If they aren't too big a worry, I wouldn't worry too too much about needing multiple products.

Maxine
May 22nd, 2006, 07:28 PM
Oh! Thank you for the information! So I should probably go with different mds for different problems! :thumbs up

PetFriendly
May 22nd, 2006, 07:43 PM
It depends on what you are looking for, but for my animals I use Revolution. I like it the best because its topical so I don't need to worry about them throwing up the pill I just made them eat!
If there is heartworm in your area, or you take you dog camping and hiking as I do you might want to stick with the Revolution. If there isn't heartworm in the area where you live and you don't go out of town much, the vet might have something else that would kill the fleas....

BMDLuver
May 22nd, 2006, 07:44 PM
The advantage to Sentinel Spectrum is that it covers tapeworm as well so if your dog goes off in the country for outings, then you don't have to worry about tapeworm otherwise, advantage and interceptor pretty well cover your dog for the monthly treatments.

Copper'sMom
May 25th, 2006, 12:27 AM
I have always used Sentinel on my pooches. This year, I switched to Revolution. The very small difference in cost is so worth it!

Indications(on the box): for the treatment and control of flea, ear mite, sarcoptic mange mite, and tick (Rhipicephalus sanguineus) infestations, and for the prevention of heartworm disease caused by Dirofilaria immitis. Revolution is also indicated as an aid in the treatment and control of roundworm infections and tick(Dermacentor variabilis) infestations.

I chose Revolution this year because of fleas and ticks as I live in a perfect area for both of these nasties to cling on to my pooches.