Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Why an anti-inflammatory for pain control

Suzan
May 22nd, 2006, 06:53 PM
My 8 year old GSD, Kaya, has bone cancer. She is under veterinary care. She is not a candidate for surgery. The vet keeps suggesting the use of Meticam, an anti-inflammatory medication instead of straight pain medication. Can someone explain why?
Suzan

BMDLuver
May 22nd, 2006, 07:18 PM
Metacam is also one of the most effective in pain relief. My young Berner has some serious bone and growth issues that are regulated with Metacam on bad days. There may be other options but I know from experience how effective it is.. he cries out in his sleep when he is in pain... with Metacam it doesn't happen during those tough days.

PetFriendly
May 22nd, 2006, 08:45 PM
in humans anyway, anti inflamatories are used when the pain is caused by inflamation of some sort. I would presume that its the same as with dogs. By treating the inflamation you are getting rid of the pain instead of just masking it with a pain killer.

Luba
May 22nd, 2006, 09:04 PM
Ah poor Kaya hugs to her and you!

Metacam is wonderful IMHO I had great results using it on my westie boy who had cancer as well. It can cause some upset stomach in some dogs but others seem to do very well on it.

BoxerRescueMTL
May 22nd, 2006, 09:17 PM
Our sweet senior Olive was on Metacam for what we thought was arthritis at the time. She was helped greatly by it - she ran and jumped and was really frisky after starting on it. It really kept her quality of life on the up and up. When she passed away suddenly we realized she likely had advanced cancer (she was rescued only months before so we had no history on her). But the Metacam certainly helped with all her ailments. Good luck with your poochie - I have been through the evil "C" with more than one dog, and I know how hard it is. :love:

doggy lover
May 22nd, 2006, 09:50 PM
My last dog Travis BMD x GSD was pts 2 years ago due to bone cancer. He was never given anti-inflamitories just pain killers. His cancer grew so rapidly that we were told only to wait no longer than a week before we said good bye. It is kind of nice to have that time, but it was hard too, counting down each day. On his last night I bought him a T-bone steak and cooked it for him, he loved it. I figured everyone is intitled to a last meal.
Enjoy the time you have left, you will know when its time to say goodbye. My thoughts are with you.

CyberKitten
May 23rd, 2006, 12:32 AM
Bone cancer is one of the most painful cancers - in both humans and pets tho I really am qualified to speak on the human issue. I assume it is painful for dogs too. Cats seem to respond better to meds than dogs and humans for some reason (not to digress!).

Anti-inflammatories, if your dog can handle them well and he has no digestive issues, are excellent at pain relief because they allow more mobility (depending on the progression of the illness of course). In much the same way, ASA is a truly wonder drug for humans but it is so hard on our digestive tract that we end up giving cancer patients narcotics to better control the pain.

Another benefit of anti-inflammatories - in addition to reducing the well, reducing the swelling and other factors associated with the pain - are that they allow dogs to be more themselves and less sleepy and out of sorts than they would be be heavy duty narcotics. The same of course is true for humans.

Good luck and take care!!!! Give your pooch lots of love!!! :grouphug:

There are some wonderful stories of dogs who do very well with bone cancer - though it is a tough illness in terms of pain. But if you can manage the pain and he is comfortable, it should be OK. I agree re the steak or his fav foods. He will also have a better appetite with anti-inflammatories. Good luck!! My thoughts will be with you!!

I am battling cancer myself and having some trouble with chemo due to other medical issues I have - respiratory,cardiac and digestive issues - went into heart failure once already and had to be in the ICU (and doctors make the worst patients - I am afraid I so wanted out of there, lol). I wish I could utilize anti-inflammatories, it would be sooo great!

Kayla1984
May 23rd, 2006, 07:33 AM
In humans pain normally is caused by pressure.. and if there is pressure causing pain right now they would choose an anti inflamintory. It's probably also a cost affective way for you to stop the pain in your pet.

My dog is on Metacam right now as well as a pill for pain and a cream (he was attacked by another dog) and it seems to be doing great.

Suzan
May 24th, 2006, 10:40 PM
Thanks to all for your comments. I will certainly consider now using Metacam when Kaya is no longer doing well on what she is on. For the moment, she is eating well ( I have added a tablespoon of canned food to her normal dry) and split her meals into 3 / day rather than 2 since she threw up twice on an empty stomach. She hasn't seemed to get worse in the last 2 weeks. She still enjoys her walks and is always out front. She almost forgets to limp when she catches scent of an animal and will run around at the end of the entenda-leash. We flushed a deer this morning on our walk, and if she hadn't been on lead, she would have been off after it.
Suzan