Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

kittnes still nursing at 10 weeks?!?!

abudamunky
May 22nd, 2006, 02:49 PM
my calico tabby had her litter of 5 on march 11 and to this day, the kittens are still nursing. she doesn't let them do it for long (maybe 10-15mins a few times a day but not every day) and i know that it is a burden on her, since she isn't gaining much weight, but i was wonding if there were any other side effects? the kittens are eating solid food and using the litter box with almost no accidents, but i really don't wanna give these babies away w/out being fully weaned. everything i look up says that the mother will deny them when she's ready. i can't be at the house all day so i can't really MAKE them stop. any suggestions? should i just start giving them to their new homes or do they need this milk?

phoenix
May 22nd, 2006, 02:55 PM
They are ready to go. Some mommas just aren't pushy enough and the babies can be very persistent about it.
Please rethink giving them away. There are some pretty awful people out there who take free cats and do terrible things to them. Charge an adoption fee and better yet, get them spayed/ neutered first and charge a fee to recoup your costs. This way these babies won't continue to procreate and add to the overpopulation.

Skryker
May 22nd, 2006, 05:33 PM
Kittens (like most babies) will continue to nurse as long as they can find a willing source. I've seen 6 month old bullies push newbies out of the way to get to get to easy food. I agree with phoenix- they are ready to go.

rainbow
May 22nd, 2006, 05:49 PM
They're definitely ready to go and poor momma needs a break.:D And please get momma spayed.:pawprint:

glasslass
May 22nd, 2006, 05:56 PM
I would think their little teeth and claws would hurt Momma Cat.

abudamunky
May 23rd, 2006, 03:41 AM
momma is supposed to get fixed on the 8th put since she's still producing milk i dunno if she will be ready, the vet won't fix her due to possible medical complications. I know this sounds wrong but, the litter was a total mistake, the spca couldn't get me in for the no-cost spaying until she was a few days away from delivery, poppa has since been fixed. 3 of the five have homes where i know they will be fixed and loved, we're keeping two and they will be fixed once shots are done at 4 months. should i monitor the two we're keeping to make sure they're not still nursing on momma? i still give her kitten food to help gain fat and sometimes turkey lunch meat, should i stop that and maybe she'll stop producing milk as well? i've read that the high-calorie diet makes them produce more milk, but also helps gains weight....(?)
thank you all for youre reply, their new homes will be excited to know they're ready to join their new families!:)

abudamunky
May 23rd, 2006, 11:59 PM
the first kitten went to his new home today and he's doing great. i'm gonna try and get the other two to their home by the end of next week, but not sure how it'll work out. don't wanna let everyone go and have mommy freak out. I find if i just try to stop the main kitten who starts the nursing, the others don't follow. it's just hard trying to catch him since i'm not home all day. thank you all for the help and i'll keep you updated. :grouphug: