Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

dog bladder control prob

Tonya Bennett
May 22nd, 2006, 03:08 PM
Hi,
I rescued a beautiful husky/shepherd x, 'Tiko' 12 years ago from an animal shelter and she's been the best dog!
She had two litters of puppies (not by choice, the males jumped the fence) before we had her spayed.
Lately she's been 'leaking' urine quite regularly. She's aware of this problem, and is licking/cleaning up after herself. I plan to take her to the vet tomorrow, but in the meantime, wonder if anyone has any ideas?
Thanks, Tonya

Lucky Rescue
May 22nd, 2006, 03:44 PM
"Spay incontinence" in older spayed females is not uncommon. It's possible that this is what is affecting your dog. IF that is what it is, inexpensive hormone therapy is often used with great success.

angie79
May 22nd, 2006, 06:19 PM
my moms dog has been on the hormonal therapy for about 2 years now. It works amazingly!!!

good luck to you!

rainbow
May 22nd, 2006, 06:19 PM
I agree with Lucky....it definitely sounds like spay incontinence. It's very common in older females and easily controlled by hormone medication.

Prin
May 22nd, 2006, 11:55 PM
"Spay incontinence" in older spayed females is not uncommon. It's possible that this is what is affecting your dog. IF that is what it is, inexpensive hormone therapy is often used with great success.
I agree. It's cheap and easy to treat if it is that. Make sure you point out to your vet that she isn't squatting, but leaking.;)

Tonya Bennett
May 23rd, 2006, 12:58 PM
Thanks, you guys are great! Tiko has her vet app't. this p.m., so it's good to know that her condition is curable and not too serious! I was really worried, so thanks to all who replied and put my mind at ease. Would've been a looong day otherwise!