Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Dog suddenly yelping in pain

mooie
May 22nd, 2006, 01:54 PM
Hello, all,
I am so distressed I don't know where to turn. BooBoo has been under a doctor's care for months for severe osteoarthritis and most recently, slow reflexes in his legs. With medication, he was almost back to 100% - not stepping wrong, not falling, as before. This past Saturday, he got up from his bed and was walking and all of a sudden - this loud yelp! He's NEVER done anything like this before. This happened two times on Saturday, and I called the vet after the second time. They said that maybe they might change his medication (his regular vet wasn't there so I talked to the owner of the clinic). Sunday, it happened once again, but this time he paced the floor, panted, drank a lot of water, and didn't like to stay in the house. I gave him another pain pill, and it seemed to work after MANY hours. Today, he seemed back to normal, and then all of a sudden, the loudest yelp yet. I called the vet - in tears - (his normal vet was there) and she said we could increase his pain medication to one more pill, if needed. Unless I want to do MRI's, there's nothing much to do for him. He's 12, and he's miserable even going to the vet - it takes him days to recover. The vet thought he might have a pinched nerve in his back. Does anyone have any experience with this?

He's been almost totally deaf for several years and will occasionally make different noises. He's been known to jump up and run from the room if he needs to "pass gas". Even after this yelp and running to someone or something, he settles down almost instantly and he's back to what our normal is now. How would he be in such intense pain and then act like nothing is different? Most of the time he's alert, happy, eats well, and acts like nothing is wrong. Any help would be tremendously appreciated. I love him with my soul and hate to see him cry out like this.

I want to tell you all what a Godsend this website is. Even though I haven't posted recently, I look everyday. Since BooBoo's health has been unsteady, I've read other pet owners stories - good news and bad - and feel like I'm not alone. It's making the eventual outcome of owning a beloved pet a little easier to endure. Thank you for knowing how it feels to have so little precious time with these precious creatures. :grouphug:

rainbow
May 22nd, 2006, 05:30 PM
When was the last time he had blood work done?

At 12 years of age he should be having check-ups twice a year. This could be a number of different things that may not even be related to his osteoarthritis.

You state that he's known to run from room to room when he needs to pass gas. Perhaps his pain is digestive related?

I would make him an appointment with your vet to have him checked over and let us know the outcome.:pawprint:

kaytris
May 22nd, 2006, 05:52 PM
might be an acute injury of some sort... def. time for a vet check, and maybe xrays

Prin
May 22nd, 2006, 11:08 PM
I'd get further testing too.

I have to say though I knew an old dog who was in terrible shape but kept on going, and all of a sudden she had a really, really bad day. Just crying and moaning and everything. The owner paid for all the tests she could and the vet couldn't find anything (more) wrong with her. In the end, it just ended up being psychological.. Well, I don't know if that's the word for it, but the dog was faking it because she knew that because of her already fragile state, the slightest turn in her health would cause the owner to give her endless attention. She learned that if she looked like she was in pain, her owner would take the day off work and stay with her all day. Sneaky little buggers sometimes.

But make sure it's nothing serious first, ok?:o :fingerscr

mooie
May 24th, 2006, 02:27 PM
Hello,
I really appreciate the answers to my questions. He had blood work done just a few months ago, and had a slightly elevated liver enzyme, but he is being carefully monitored. I decided to do a little sleuthing on my own. I really looked at him the morning after I posted, and he reminded me of the way he looked after we brought him home from a surgery a year ago: pacing, panting, looking for somewhere to hide - then he was stoned. I looked up side effects to his meds and found out panting was a serious side effect to one. I decided, because he already had one pain med, to try to get the other one out of his system. I sat with him to keep him calm and comfortable and within 24 hours, a completely different guy! He's still antsy but is calming down every hour, the yelp is gone and so is the gas, he's sleeping better and isn't trying to find a place to get away. I took him outside with a leash so I had control over where he went yesterday. If the household gets noisy, he gets stressed; if everyone lights someplace, he's calm. I'll still give him the other pain med if he really needs it, but not on an ongoing basis like I thought I was supposed to. I'm not kidding myself about his health, but I think he's feeling better and just had way too much pain medicine in him. Thanks again for the help. :)